yconic - Top 6 Courses Dilemma
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Top 6 Courses Dilemma

A photo of MahaOmar MahaOmar
Hi guys,
I am a grade 11 student, and I am confused about the whole "top 6 courses". I hope to apply to McMaster, UofT, or Waterloo for Life Sciences, but my question is, do my top 6 courses HAVE to be in the sciences/maths? I know English has to be one of them, but do they even care about what courses you put? What if I put family studies (its an M course) does it matter? Do they only look at the mark or do they look at what course that mark is from as well? And can you guys list your top 6 courses just so that I can get an idea in my head. Sorry, I have so many questions. Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@MahaOmar wrote
Hi guys,
I am a grade 11 student, and I am confused about the whole "top 6 courses". I hope to apply to McMaster, UofT, or Waterloo for Life Sciences, but my question is, do my top 6 courses HAVE to be in the sciences/maths? I know English has to be one of them, but do they even care about what courses you put? What if I put family studies (its an M course) does it matter? Do they only look at the mark or do they look at what course that mark is from as well? And can you guys list your top 6 courses just so that I can get an idea in my head. Sorry, I have so many questions. Thanks in advance!

Go to the website of the schools that you are interested in and check the requirements.Just google admisssion requirement of the university you are interested in. Most schools ask for : English, AF or Calclulus (or both), 2 of Bio, Chem, Physics and the final 2 can be any U or M course like Challenge and Change,Economics,Accounting,ComputerScience etc etc . It can be anything even a 3rd science subject or another math subject eg data management.

In my case I took: English, Bio,Chem,Physics,AF,Calculus,AP Economics,Brain Behavior,Challenge and Change (AP Psychology),Individual and Families.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of redrose55 redrose55
When you apply for a program at a university, they tell you which courses you should have as a prerequisite. Usually those courses are like 3 or 4. So if you applied to Mac for life sciences, the program requires ENG4U, one of MHF4U, MCV4U; SBI4U; and one of MHF4U, MCV4U, SCH4U, SPH4U. Your first priority is to take the required courses to be eligible for admission, (in this case 3 courses required). This leaves you with 3 extra courses that you can take to complete 6 courses. So with those three you can pick out any electives such as history, music, sociology, etc. It doesn't matter what they are since they're electives..as long as they're U/M courses. Usually people pick ones that are easy in order to boost their final average, so no worries your 6 courses don't all have to be science and math!
I applied for Nutritional Sciences at Western and they required ENG4U, SBI4U, and SCH4U. I took those required along with family studies, history and data. The program also required that I have the gr.11 functions course completed. They don't calculate it as part of my average but make sure that I at least took the course.

Hope this helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0