yconic - TOP 6 vs GRADE 11 AVERAGE
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

TOP 6 vs GRADE 11 AVERAGE

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm currently a grade 11 student thinking about applying to Schulich/Queen's Commerce/Mcgill/UBC next year all for business.

I pretty much screwed up in math this year with an 82 X: so I need to know whether universities look more at your gr. 11 marks or your gr. 12 top 6?
I did the Gr. 12 Management Fundamentals (M) course and finished with 95 in this first semester. Next semester I have Gr. 12 Data Management which should go well...

By the end of gr. 11, I'll already have 2 gr. 12 (one U, one M) courses done.
If I can get the right courses (aka, at least English, Adv. Functions) into my first semester Gr. 12 courseload, I could probably have a top 6.

Would they overlook my Gr. 11 marks?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
They don't care about your grade 11 marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote

At all? How about for early acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
I think it's pretty clear that with an 82 in math you shouldn't be getting early acceptance. :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@cbonnie wrote

@forthewinwin wrote

Yes, early acceptance will look at your Grade 11 marks exclusively (even if you have Grade 12 courses in advance, I believe). They should be looking at your Grade 11 math mark because that is a prerequisites to the Grade 12 maths.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lemony wrote

@cbonnie wrote

@forthewinwin wrote

Yes, early acceptance will look at your Grade 11 marks exclusively (even if you have Grade 12 courses in advance, I believe). They should be looking at your Grade 11 math mark because that is a prerequisites to the Grade 12 maths.

oh ffffff my life.
i guess there goes my early acceptance chances :thumbdown
i guess i can live with my choices :(

but because it's a pre-req to the Grade 12 maths, will it be considered when they look at Top 6?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
If you're attending a semestered school and want early acceptance into some eastern schools, might want to think about retaking it.
They will look at your final grade 11 marks and semester 1 grade 12 marks.

If you're thinking about UBC, don't need to worry about it.. they will only look at your grade 12 marks, as long as you do good in math 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
If you're attending a semestered school and want early acceptance into some eastern schools, might want to think about retaking it.

If you're thinking about UBC, don't need to worry about it.. they will only look at your grade 12 marks, as long as you do good in math 12.

So the only way for my gr. 11 marks not to take effect (considering that i don't retake anything) is to wait for regular decision/acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@cbonnie wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

So the only way for my gr. 11 marks not to take effect (considering that i don't retake anything) is to wait for regular decision/acceptance?

It depends on the program, and what you may consider "early acceptance". But for the most part, yes.

An example though would be Laurier BBA. They had obeen offering early admissions back in December up until now, based off of Grade 11 marks. Then in late February early March, they look at a combination of your first semester Grade 12 final marks and your Grade 11 marks. They always include prereqs or the prereqs of those pereqs, so if you had AF in first semester, they wouldn't use Grade 11 Math for the second round of offers.

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony

@cbonnie wrote

@lemony wrote

@cbonnie wrote

@forthewinwin wrote

oh ffffff my life.
i guess there goes my early acceptance chances :thumbdown
i guess i can live with my choices :(

but because it's a pre-req to the Grade 12 maths, will it be considered when they look at Top 6?

No, top 6 is only Grade 12 top 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jimz Jimz
The amount of bad information and speculation is astounding.

Grade 11 marks count for early acceptances ONLY. If you do bad, your chances of early acceptance goes down. By how much? Miniscule, only a couple % of acceptances are given as "early" acceptances.

For regular acceptance, they do NOT look at ANYTHING beyond your TOP SIX MARKS (your top six MUST include ENGLISH and OTHER PREREQUISITES). TOP SIX = TOP SIX, plain and simple. God you people may be book smart but are so indecisive and horrible at research = lack of real world skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Jimz wrote
The amount of bad information and speculation is astounding.

Grade 11 marks count for early acceptances ONLY. If you do bad, your chances of early acceptance goes down. By how much? Miniscule, only a couple % of acceptances are given as "early" acceptances.

For regular acceptance, they do NOT look at ANYTHING beyond your TOP SIX MARKS (your top six MUST include ENGLISH and OTHER PREREQUISITES). TOP SIX = TOP SIX, plain and simple. God you people may be book smart but are so indecisive and horrible at research = lack of real world skills.

Not always true.
Depends on the program.
Some programs have other pre-reqs other than English.
Pretty sure a business program would have some kind of math pre-req, tyvm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0