yconic - Top Six Courses... Stressed
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Top Six Courses... Stressed

A photo of Kaff Kaff
Alright, I have three classes this semester (Data, History, Chem) and four next semester (Bio, Religion, Sociology, English) making this seven credits. I'm applying for Health Sciences at Western and they recommend taking Chemistry. As far as that class goes, I'm doing just fine.. but I REALLY don't think that I will get a high enough mark without it ruining my top six average.. How much does this school stress the recommended courses? Will it matter if I don't include it in my top six?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Meridian Meridian
The top 6 that your final admission average is made up of includes the pre-reqs (Bio,Eng,Math) and then the next 3 highest U/M marks. If your chem is your lowest mark, it would not be included in the top 6 for figuring out your admission average. UWO won't even look at the mark or whether you have it unless you are right near the cut off and they are making a special circumstance type admission decision.

A top 6 of 84% will get you into UWO Health Science no questions asked.

If you actually mean Nursing, you need a higher average and Chem is a requirement.

Note that grade 12 Chem is a pre-req to take many of the first year Bio and Chem courses, so while you may not have it in your top 6 average it would still be important to have the credit. I would not consider dropping it or anything drastic like that.

Also note that Health Sci at UWO is not traditional physical science. It is focused more in social science disciplines (ethics, policy, health promotion, nutrition). I wish the different Unis would standard on what Health/Life/Bio-med Science means.

http://www.welcome.uwo.ca/preview/admissions/ontario/ontario-ad-chart-2.pdf

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kaff Kaff

@Meridian wrote
Also note that Health Sci at UWO is not traditional physical science. It is focused more in social science disciplines (ethics, policy, health promotion, nutrition). I wish the different Unis would standard on what Health/Life/Bio-med Science means.

+1
Amen to that!
Was this helpful? Yes 0