yconic - Torn Between Two Programs, What Else Is New
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Torn Between Two Programs, What Else Is New

A photo of anastasiavv anastasiavv
[size=4]I've basically narrowed down my choices for next year to either McGill Life Science or Western Biomed. I'm coming out of high school with a top 6 average of just over 95%. I'm hoping to go to a school of pharmacy, medicine, or optometry; it's something I've wanted for a long time.

I've heard good things about Western's BMSc program, mainly that it's a good pre-med program. Also, the people I've spoken to said they really enjoyed Western, even though it's in a pretty quiet city like London.

However, I've heard even better things about McGill's life sciences program (And its reputation, hehe). BUT, I've also been told of the menace known as bell-curving, which apparently McGill does to keep class averages at a certain grade. Lastly, I've heard that McGill's life science program is more difficult than Western's.

That being said, I would describe myself as very hardworking and quite organized. I am willing to put in the work in order to get a GPA of 3.7 or above.

SO. If anyone could answer any of the following, it would be much appreciated:
-Is McGill life science really that difficult? Is it possible to get a 4.0 GPA?
-For either university: How difficult is it to balance a social life, extracurriculars, and maintaining a high GPA?
-Does McGill actually always use the bellcurve? How does it affect your grades? And would you say that it's fair?
-(If you wouldn't mind sharing), how does your high school average compare with your McGill/Western average?
-How are the profs (at both universities)? Are they generally friendly and approachable, or...not so much?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:
[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of biosci biosci
I can answer the 1st question about the 4.0 GPA. You can try but getting a 4.0 GPA is very rare you may get close to a 4.0 though. I had good marks going into first year university but it's a completely different ball game.

Goodluck! :cheers: and congratulations on getting in! Keep up the good work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anastasiavv anastasiavv

@biosci wrote
I can answer the 1st question about the 4.0 GPA. You can try but getting a 4.0 GPA is very rare you may get close to a 4.0 though. I had good marks going into first year university but it's a completely different ball game.

Goodluck! :cheers: and congratulations on getting in! Keep up the good work.

[size=4]Makes sense (:
Close to it is good enough for me.
And thank you!![/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0