yconic - Transfer to BMOS and ultimately Ivey
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Transfer to BMOS and ultimately Ivey

A photo of illmatik23 illmatik23
I'm currently in the Co-op Management BBA program at UTSC and I'm thinking of transferring out simply because my hard work doesn't amount to the grades I receive (getting a 2.3 GPA currently) and really dislike the lack of student life on campus.

Unforunately, it is probably unlikely for me to transfer at the end of my second year next year to Ivey because I probably won't get the GPA they are looking for so I'm considering making the move next year to the BMOS program and then transferring at the end of that year to the Ivey program. However, I am very hesitant simply because I'd be leaving a BBA program for a BMOS program (which in many eyes would be considered a downgrade) and there is no guarantee for Ivey if I do get into the BMOS program but my chances of getting better marks would be much higher.

To summarize, the plan is basically to switch into BMOS to get really good grades to ultimately switch to Ivey by third year. So do you guys think this is a wise plan or is it flat out stupid? Just give me your take on what you think of my situation and what I should do. I appreciate the comments. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra
Whoa is that program really that hard? I'm considering transferring there.

I'm in the top 1% (90s) at Queen's Commerce, how well do you think my grades would transfer over there?

If you are set on Ivey then it is a good choice but there's no guarantee you'll be able to get into Ivey as well. You need at least a 3.7 and good EC's to be competitive. Or at the very least have a 3.3 and have some VERY special reasons as to why they should let you in (i.e Father is a nobel scientist, participates in olympics etc). You need to have some very extraordinary EC's if your average is below that and they do take into account your CGPA not just your recent GPA. I'm assuming you are in first year right now and in very little EC's at Uni (since you hate the student life there) so the implications of this are:

Second Year: That means your HIGHEST possible CGPA before Ivey is 3.13
Because you are at a new University, there are few leadership positions open for new members.

Ivey selection impossible.

Third Year: Highest CGPA 3.56
Some leadership positions might be available to you now but you do have to be elected.

Ivey selection unlikely but possible.

My brother's ex had a 94% in Bio Sciences and was president/exec of some clubs and didn't get in so...it's a very risky move on your part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
2.3 GPA... BMOS maybe? but I highly doubt that you can raise it to the competitive average required by Ivey in a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zarathustra wrote

I'm in the top 1% (90s) at Queen's Commerce, how well do you think my grades would transfer over there?

If you are set on Ivey then it is a good choice but there's no guarantee you'll be able to get into Ivey as well. You need at least a 3.7 and good EC's to be competitive. Or at the very least have a 3.3 and have some VERY special reasons as to why they should let you in (i.e Father is a nobel scientist, participates in olympics etc). You need to have some very extraordinary EC's if your average is below that and they do take into account your CGPA not just your recent GPA. I'm assuming you are in first year right now and in very little EC's at Uni (since you hate the student life there) so the implications of this are:

Because you are at a new University, there are few leadership positions open for new members.

Some leadership positions might be available to you now but you do have to be elected.

My brother's ex had a 94% in Bio Sciences and was president/exec of some clubs and didn't get in so...it's a very risky move on your part.

I would actually advise you not to go to UTSC and stick with Queen's. I think your grades would be fine, maybe a bit of back drop depending on what you're good at. If accounting isn't necessarily going great for you at Queen's, don't expect it to get better at UTSC.

As far as BMOS goes, I'm confident my grades would improve drastically, up to that 3.7 - 4.0 mark. The program is a lot more difficult at UofT than at Western, especially from what I hear from my friends in the BMOS program who are hardly working and getting 3.7 - 4.0's with ease. My GPA should improve in this second semester but not by much (maybe 2.7 to 3.0) so even with that considered, it would still be risky right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of XCEINOX XCEINOX

@illmatik23 wrote
I'm currently in the Co-op Management BBA program at UTSC and I'm thinking of transferring out simply because my hard work doesn't amount to the grades I receive (getting a 2.3 GPA currently) and really dislike the lack of student life on campus.

Unforunately, it is probably unlikely for me to transfer at the end of my second year next year to Ivey because I probably won't get the GPA they are looking for so I'm considering making the move next year to the BMOS program and then transferring at the end of that year to the Ivey program. However, I am very hesitant simply because I'd be leaving a BBA program for a BMOS program (which in many eyes would be considered a downgrade) and there is no guarantee for Ivey if I do get into the BMOS program but my chances of getting better marks would be much higher.

To summarize, the plan is basically to switch into BMOS to get really good grades to ultimately switch to Ivey by third year. So do you guys think this is a wise plan or is it flat out stupid? Just give me your take on what you think of my situation and what I should do. I appreciate the comments. Thanks.

IS utsc that hard? What was your high school mark? Did you private school or night school anything in high school?
I got offered from coop management and is scared by your post. I am studying in a very difficult high school and is getting high 80s.( We have some of the best Canadian students in our school, while the highest average student get is still below 96)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

IS utsc that hard? What was your high school mark? Did you private school or night school anything in high school?
I got offered from coop management and is scared by your post. I am studying in a very difficult high school and is getting high 80s.( We have some of the best Canadian students in our school, while the highest average student get is still below 96)

I had an 86 and I got into co-op management. I went to a public full french school (meaning every class is taught in French except English class, of course). If you get accepted to Queen's or Ivey, I would advise you to go to those schools. I could be doing a bit better but a lot of the hard work I put in doesn't necessarily pay off. My most recent accounting midterm had a class average of 52. Amongst all my friends, I was the only one who passed with a 72. U of T is only after your money. That's why they have a pre-management program as well, to give kids hope that they can get in. But they have to maintain a 3.7 average just to remain in the program which is very difficult to pull off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

I had an 86 and I got into co-op management. I went to a public full french school (meaning every class is taught in French except English class, of course). If you get accepted to Queen's or Ivey, I would advise you to go to those schools. I could be doing a bit better but a lot of the hard work I put in doesn't necessarily pay off. My most recent accounting midterm had a class average of 52. Amongst all my friends, I was the only one who passed with a 72. U of T is only after your money. That's why they have a pre-management program as well, to give kids hope that they can get in. But they have to maintain a 3.7 average just to remain in the program which is very difficult to pull off.

I heard the accounting program is brutal, and that is what I really worry about. How is math? I am actually very strong at math and has won some awards, Will I survive math? I think i will be choosing between rotman and utsc, which one do you recommend?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

I heard the accounting program is brutal, and that is what I really worry about. How is math? I am actually very strong at math and has won some awards, Will I survive math? I think i will be choosing between rotman and utsc, which one do you recommend?

In terms of difficulty, Rotman and UTSC should be the same however, I've heard that only 25% of first year students will remain in the program by fourth year (someone on this site posted that piece of information).

Calculus isn't necessarily difficult but it requires lots of practice and with a full course load, it's hard to keep up with that practice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

In terms of difficulty, Rotman and UTSC should be the same however, I've heard that only 25% of first year students will remain in the program by fourth year (someone on this site posted that piece of information).

Calculus isn't necessarily difficult but it requires lots of practice and with a full course load, it's hard to keep up with that practice.

LOL thank you I guess I really need to make my decision wisely. Only 25% survives rotman? Wow that's really intimidating, guess I will just end up in UTSC coop. Im gona really practice during the summer and try my best to prepare. Hope the situation with you gets better as you either transfer out of the program or end up getting a better mark. The coop experience in second year is really great. Maybe only the first year is hard. Definitely talk to your teachers+friends before you make a move. Good Luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

LOL thank you I guess I really need to make my decision wisely. Only 25% survives rotman? Wow that's really intimidating, guess I will just end up in UTSC coop. Im gona really practice during the summer and try my best to prepare. Hope the situation with you gets better as you either transfer out of the program or end up getting a better mark. The coop experience in second year is really great. Maybe only the first year is hard. Definitely talk to your teachers+friends before you make a move. Good Luck.

Yeah, I'm gonna get as much info and advice on this as I possibly can. If I do stay though, maybe we'll cross paths on campus haha. Good luck with everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

Yeah, I'm gonna get as much info and advice on this as I possibly can. If I do stay though, maybe we'll cross paths on campus haha. Good luck with everything.

haha maybe we will see each other. Good luck and keep the hard work!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illmatik23 wrote

@Zarathustra wrote

I would actually advise you not to go to UTSC and stick with Queen's. I think your grades would be fine, maybe a bit of back drop depending on what you're good at. If accounting isn't necessarily going great for you at Queen's, don't expect it to get better at UTSC.

As far as BMOS goes, I'm confident my grades would improve drastically, up to that 3.7 - 4.0 mark. The program is a lot more difficult at UofT than at Western, especially from what I hear from my friends in the BMOS program who are hardly working and getting 3.7 - 4.0's with ease. My GPA should improve in this second semester but not by much (maybe 2.7 to 3.0) so even with that considered, it would still be risky right?

I wish I could stay at Queen's but I have this special medical condition that I recently found out about and only a handful of doctors in Canada specialize specifically in it. Unfortunately these doctors are not located in Kingston.

I'm not concerned about whether or not you'll do well in BMOS because from what I've heard you can smoke crack everyday and still get the 4.0s. Haha

The only main concern is the risk of not being accepted since Ivey accepts 100 students for each strain. On top of that assuming you were able to pull down 4.0s in the Winter Term your CGPA for this year is only ~3.15. And assuming you're able to get a 4.0 in second year, your CGPA (as Ivey only looks at both years) is only 3.58 which is a very risky GPA to have as excellent students with a 4.0 struggle to get in each and every year.

How did you do in accounting? I think you need at least a B- to be considered for Ivey.

All in all, I think it's a risk as you are giving up an employable degree in order to have a chance at admittance. You could alternatively apply after third year, provided you can keep up the grades but it's still not a guarantee.

In the end, I think it's a choice you ultimately have to make for yourself. I don't think any of us/family/friends could tell you what to do. Studies show that people are happier with conscious decisions. 2 cents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

@XCEINOX wrote

@illmatik23 wrote

Management and Rotman have similar drop out rates due to Toronto's bell cuve system.

Rotman's drop out rate is actually 40-50%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0