yconic - Transfering to Ivey third year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Transfering to Ivey third year?

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123
hypothetically speaking, would it be wiser to go to western(bmos/econ) right in the beginning or do first 2 years in schulich/degroote/rotman then transfer? wat r the odd/how many spots? i thought building up a good network at different schools would be beneficial?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
54 replies

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Take Schulich and then transfer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
In the past, 2/3 of the HBA class have been AEOs and 1/3 have been non-AEOs.

I've been told however, that Ivey prefers to take kids from a non-business background with its transfers from different schools. But if you're good, Ivey will accept you regardless.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BusterBaxter BusterBaxter

@immaculatedx wrote

I've been told however, that Ivey prefers to take kids from a non-business background with its transfers from different schools. But if you're good, Ivey will accept you regardless.

To add to this, in each section of 75 there are about 3-5 transfer students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Liveforthemoment Liveforthemoment

@BusterBaxter wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

To add to this, in each section of 75 there are about 3-5 transfer students.

that's definitely not anywhere near 1/3

does anyone know how many people apply for third year entry?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Liveforthemoment wrote

I don't think you understood what I was saying?

3-5 students in each section of 75 are students did their first two years somewhere other than UWO. If/when the OP applies to Ivey after their second year, there will be 8 sections of 75, which means ~24-40 transfer students will likely be accepted. So of the ~200 non-AEO students who are accepted into Ivey after second year, ~20-40 will likely be transfer students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@BusterBaxter wrote

@Liveforthemoment wrote

3-5 students in each section of 75 are students did their first two years somewhere other than UWO. If/when the OP applies to Ivey after their second year, there will be 8 sections of 75, which means ~24-40 transfer students will likely be accepted. So of the ~200 non-AEO students who are accepted into Ivey after second year, ~20-40 will likely be transfer students.

So the rest are from Western but without AEO.
I was expecting more than 20-40 to transfer,
Seems like it may be more competitive than I first thought?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote

@BusterBaxter wrote

@Liveforthemoment wrote

So basically Ivey favours UWO students??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@Username81 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@BusterBaxter wrote

@Liveforthemoment wrote

Not even basically - it's a well-known fact.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@beyondsection17 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@BusterBaxter wrote

@Liveforthemoment wrote

wtf why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

When I went to the presentation, the Ivey people told me Ivey favours AEOs who lost their status because they didnt have the marks etc.

the point above about 3-5 students was for each SECTION, there are 8 sections next year (Or next next year I forget). which means 24- 40 transfers. That was from observation - from what I've been told, there are quite a few more than that per year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
When I went to the presentation, the Ivey people told me Ivey favours AEOs who lost their status because they didnt have the marks etc.

the point above about 3-5 students was for each SECTION, there are 8 sections next year (Or next next year I forget). which means 24- 40 transfers. That was from observation - from what I've been told, there are quite a few more than that per year.

I was told this at the info session last year.. thinking back it was probably 5-8 people per section, since 24-40 is a bit low. My memory isn't perfect :bball:

But there are definitely not more than 10 transfer students per section.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of foreveryoung foreveryoung
I heard that the AEOs take first priority, then the number of spots left for transfer students is determined by how many AEOs don't make to Ivey...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@Username81 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

@Username81 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@BusterBaxter wrote

@Liveforthemoment wrote

wtf why?

Ivey runs out of Western. Ivey gives preference to those who make the commitment to them out of grade 12, rather than to those who may have applied as an afterthought. I'm not speaking on Ivey's behalf here, but it's not like they try to hide this - I knew it coming out of grade 11 after I first visited Western and heard Ivey's presentation.

@foreveryoung wrote
I heard that the AEOs take first priority, then the number of spots left for transfer students is determined by how many AEOs don't make to Ivey...

AEOs do take first priority, then second is AEOs who didn't keep their 80 and other Western students applying, then third is transfer students from what I've been told.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@beyondsection17 wrote
Ivey runs out of Western. Ivey gives preference to those who make the commitment to them out of grade 12, rather than to those who may have applied as an afterthought. I'm not speaking on Ivey's behalf here, but it's not like they try to hide this - I knew it coming out of grade 11 after I first visited Western and heard Ivey's presentation.

LOL that's so dumb. Guess I'll most likely go into accounting instead then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

From what I heard previously it is 1/3 non AEOs and that means both Western(non AEO) students and transfers. In fact I've heard that it is less competitive to transfer than being accepted as AEO. With a 93 you should have been accepted in the first place.I had roughly the same equivalent avg and was accepted. Anyways you shouldn't give up from now!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote

@Username81 wrote

@beyondsection17 wrote

From what I heard previously it is 1/3 non AEOs and that means both Western(non AEO) students and transfers. In fact I've heard that it is less competitive to transfer than being accepted as AEO. With a 93 you should have been accepted in the first place.I had roughly the same equivalent avg and was accepted. Anyways you shouldn't give up from now!

Yeah I heard that too, never heard that Western students get a bit of an advantage. And it makes since if it was less competitive than getting AEO because a lot of students wouldn't want to transfer (they have to move, leave friends, etc.). A lot of people WANT to transfer, but starting out from scratch again is kind of a scary thought.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123
conclusion?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@heyppl123 wrote
conclusion?

Work your ass off, be a boss - you'll get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of punta25 punta25
I was worried about the result
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Let's say I hypothetically wanted to transfer to Ivey at the end of 2nd year. I am in BAcc co-op at Brock, and I have the required business course equivalent for Ivey. I have an 82 major average, an 83 non-major (cumulative like 82.6) right now at the end of first year. I went to the Dominican over reading week and taught english asa second language in their public school system and picked up 180 hours of community service (even though that is mathematically impossible). I have 2 jobs this summer as well (one may and june, and the other for july and august) in manufacturing management and retail management.

Assuming my marks remained at the current level, would you say I have a high chance at transfering even though I'm transfering from outside of Western? I am just curious
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote
Let's say I hypothetically wanted to transfer to Ivey at the end of 2nd year. I am in BAcc co-op at Brock, and I have the required business course equivalent for Ivey. I have an 82 major average, an 83 non-major (cumulative like 82.6) right now at the end of first year. I went to the Dominican over reading week and taught english asa second language in their public school system and picked up 180 hours of community service (even though that is mathematically impossible). I have 2 jobs this summer as well (one may and june, and the other for july and august) in manufacturing management and retail management.

Assuming my marks remained at the current level, would you say I have a high chance at transfering even though I'm transfering from outside of Western? I am just curious

What's your co-op sequence in year 2?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@immaculatedx wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

What's your co-op sequence in year 2?

Well technically I'm supposed to be in co-op January-April. But I would complete 2nd year in the spring and summer terms. Let's say I didn't do co-op however

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdesjardins kdesjardins
Honestly, you will more than likely get in.
But what is even more probable is that you will end up not wanting to leave. You will get used to where your living and find it hassle to move and convince yourself otherwise that Ivey isn't for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Liveforthemoment Liveforthemoment
I donno Ivey told me that around 1000 people applied for entrance to third year last year...the chances doesn't seem that high, it can't possibly be easier to get in third year than to get an aeo status could it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0