yconic - Transferring from McGill Arts to Desautels after 1st year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Transferring from McGill Arts to Desautels after 1st year?

A photo of Obsessedwski Obsessedwski
How difficult is it to transfer from the Arts faculty to the Management faculty after 1st year? I've heard that McGill's 1st year (U0) is mostly general studies to accommodate for the CEGEP kids, meaning I have a better chance of maintaining a decent enough GPA to be accepted for a transfer?

I'm still waiting on Desautel's offer but I submitted a late application due to extraneous circumstances, with a slightly lower average of 88-89% (not exactly sure how they calculate it) so I'm not too optimistic. I know I want to do business though, so if I don't get the transfer I'll be applying to Ivey HBA1 in my second year unless I'm in Desautels already.

Any significant factors/issues I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of halestorm29 halestorm29
+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Uhh well the GPA required is 3.4, so it is definitely possible! But you're going to have a lot of competition because a lot of people from Arts tries to switch to Management.

I might do the same thing actually if I don't get into Commerce.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
Uhh well the GPA required is 3.4, so it is definitely possible! But you're going to have a lot of competition because a lot of people from Arts tries to switch to Management.

I might do the same thing actually if I don't get into Commerce.

Could you explain what a 3.4 average converts to in percentage form? Thanks for the help, btw. And I'm shocked that you have AEO status but are not into Desautels!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I honestly don't know how McGill's GPA system works. But my guess is a 3.4 is somewhere in the mid 80s. I think that with Arts courses it is very manageable.

I think there is someone on this forum that actually goes to McGill Mgmt..I think his/her name is TheSecondComing or something so we should ask!

LOL my avg is in the low 90s that's why.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hmm yeah I would just need to work my butt off, haha. I just REALLY want to go to McGill.. I would even consider taking arts and chancing not getting into Desautels 2nd year if I got into Ivey and Queen's Commerce. I project my average for midterm to be 90%, which I hope is good enough, but doubt it, after looking at last year's threads.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hmm are you talking about 90% for Arts or Commerce? For Arts you're pretty much guaranteed.

I know eh Desautels cut off is so high.

EDIT: Can you send me the link to the "last year's threads" you're referring to? Wanna see what people got accepted with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

Hmm are you talking about 90% for Arts or Commerce? For Arts you're pretty much guaranteed.

EDIT: Can you send me the link to the "last year's threads" you're referring to? Wanna see what people got accepted with.

The current 2011 acceptances are all early acceptances... so they're all 94%+, the lowest being 94% from what I've seen.

However, I digged around the old studentwards forums and found this which will probably interest you.

http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst25371_Accepted-to-McGill-Desautels.aspx

Enjoy. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

91.3 :O:O:O:O

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
91.3 :O:O:O:O

I know right?

:o

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote

Heres a link to a VERY long thread. It's from 2 years ago, but I imagine its fairly similar (unless competition is higher this year? hopefully not)
http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst7561p4_Mcgill-Acceptance.aspx

I was talking in regards to commerce mainly, which means I have a very low possibility. For arts I'm pretty sure I will get in. I hate how McGill doesn't take extra curriculars into the equation!

And oh 91.3... That would be so nice. What do you guys have?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol that's a troll right there. Although even if that was true.. there is no guarantee this year because of the applicant pool.

Nevertheless guys good luck! Daruki^ what avg are you applying with just curious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

92 flat
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Modestly speaking, anywhere between 91% to 92%.
I don't want to say exactly... but it's somewhere between that range.

I literally stalk these forums everyday

goldman, you'll get in. Don't worry ^^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daruki35 wrote

Yeah I think you'll get in too.. as for me.....um...........................lol
Is this school your guys' top choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@halestorm29 wrote

@Daruki35 wrote

Yeah I think you'll get in too.. as for me.....um...........................lol
Is this school your guys' top choice?

Yeah definitely. It's cheaper for me too, as I have Quebec Residency :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lucky!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Discrimination :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0