yconic - Transferring to Ivey HBA after Second Year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Transferring to Ivey HBA after Second Year?

A photo of ManUtd123 ManUtd123
I know it's possible for a university applicant to transfer to Ivey HBA after their second year. But does the university you go to matter?

For example, would a UofT life science student be taken over a York University biomed student, etc. I know this question sounds dumb but I'm just curious. Would York University be an ok university to apply to Ivey HBA after second year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of BAcc2015 BAcc2015

@ManUtd123 wrote
I know it's possible for a university applicant to transfer to Ivey HBA after their second year. But does the university you go to matter?

For example, would a UofT life science student be taken over a York University biomed student, etc. I know this question sounds dumb but I'm just curious. Would York University be an ok university to apply to Ivey HBA after second year?

Anyone from any program can apply to Ivey HBA as long as you meet the minimum grade requirements. From what I understand, they do not adjust for "university/program difficulties" so if you are choosing between UToronto and York, choose York!

The only problem with Biomedicine at York is obtaining the equivalent prerequisite to BUSI 2257. Have a look here. Apparently, you have to take correspondence courses through Ryerson or Athabasca.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BAcc2015 wrote

From what I understand, they do not adjust for "university/program difficulties" so if you are choosing between UToronto and York, choose York!

Uh, that's exactly what they do. The university/program you are in and the classes you take will play a part. That way if someone pulls off an 80 in UofT EngSci they could be rated higher than someone at Lakehead Arts with an 83.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rdawg204 rdawg204

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

From what I understand, they do not adjust for "university/program difficulties" so if you are choosing between UToronto and York, choose York!

Uh, that's exactly what they do. The university/program you are in and the classes you take will play a part. That way if someone pulls off an 80 in UofT EngSci they could be rated higher than someone at Lakehead Arts with an 83.

Source? Because I have heard the complete opposite. I have only heard they value 2nd year courses > 1st year courses etc.

Also by the way its been pretty standard for every MBA program in existence that a lakehead 83 > uoft 80. (my dad encountered the same thing after graduating with a 70 from UofT engsci, York MBA was like F'that but we'll take Lakehead business students with an 80)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@rdawg204 wrote

Source? Because I have heard the complete opposite. I have only heard they value 2nd year courses > 1st year courses etc.

he only proof I can get you...

@IveyRecruiting2011 wrote
"Academic Challenge" rating, which compares how difficult your set of courses are versus others who apply

(This is from Richard Wong, an Associate of HBA Recruiting at Ivey, btw in case you did not know)

Unless my sources are wrong, then I am right.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cfws1992 cfws1992
i've personally heard that they value second year/relevant courses > first year/irrelevant/elective courses. I'm not sure exactly about valuing different school's and their curriculums or difficulty levels, but i would expect that it makes a small impact, even if they claim that it doesn't
I'm personally applying to Ivey for transfer, do you mind me asking what your application is like? GPA and EC's specifically, as i'm not too sure about my chances/the difficulty of acceptance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BAcc2015 BAcc2015

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

They adjust??? That's news to me. Do you know what they adjust for? Is it your university? Or your program? Or the classes you've taken?
Was this helpful? Yes 0