yconic - Transferring to UTSC Mgmt from Waterloo AFM
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Transferring to UTSC Mgmt from Waterloo AFM

A photo of Sahana25 Sahana25
First off the bat, is this doable? I think that I may end this year with an average in the low to mid 80s. This year I'm taking the following courses:
Introduction to Financial Accounting
Introduction to Business in North America
Introduction to Microeconomics
Introduction to International Studies
Calculus for Accounting
Introduction to Managerial Accounting
Introduction to Global Financial Markets
Introduction to Macroeconomics
Introduction to Statistics & Sampling Accounting
Leadership and Communication

So would I be able to transfer this courses to cover UTSC's requirement of:
MGTA03H3 (Introduction to Management I)
- MGTA04H3 (Introduction to Management II)
- ECMA04H3 (Introduction to Microeconomics: Mathematical Approach)
- ECMA06H3 (Introduction to Macroeconomics: Mathematical Approach)
- MATA32H3 (Calculus for Management I)
- MATA33H3 (Calculus for Management II

and by the way, is it advisable for me to switch to UTSC from Waterloo AFM-FM. Honestly the main reason I'm switching is I don't like being away from home, and I want to be home every weekend. The commute is terrible every week, and wastes about 5-6 hours of my life per week. Many have said that AFM is a waste if you aren't in PA, and I feel as though I will satisfy my degree requirements at UTSC as well.

So long story short, how easy will it be for me to transfer to UTSC Mgmt for Fall 2012?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
really easy, i think
just go on the utsc admissions website and find out what you have to do to apply: UTSC Admissions Website
good luck :)

ps there's probably a specific application for students transferring from another university since they need to get your transcript and so on so make sure you fill out the right one

like their facebook page to ask questions, they answer pretty quickly: http://www.facebook.com/uoft.scarborough
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks a lot, but do you know if there is any way i can get someone to look at my courses and determine the ease of my transfer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12

@Sahana25 wrote
First off the bat, is this doable? I think that I may end this year with an average in the low to mid 80s. This year I'm taking the following courses:
Introduction to Financial Accounting
Introduction to Business in North America
Introduction to Microeconomics
Introduction to International Studies
Calculus for Accounting
Introduction to Managerial Accounting
Introduction to Global Financial Markets
Introduction to Macroeconomics
Introduction to Statistics & Sampling Accounting
Leadership and Communication

So would I be able to transfer this courses to cover UTSC's requirement of:
MGTA03H3 (Introduction to Management I)
- MGTA04H3 (Introduction to Management II)
- ECMA04H3 (Introduction to Microeconomics: Mathematical Approach)
- ECMA06H3 (Introduction to Macroeconomics: Mathematical Approach)
- MATA32H3 (Calculus for Management I)
- MATA33H3 (Calculus for Management II

and by the way, is it advisable for me to switch to UTSC from Waterloo AFM-FM. Honestly the main reason I'm switching is I don't like being away from home, and I want to be home every weekend. The commute is terrible every week, and wastes about 5-6 hours of my life per week. Many have said that AFM is a waste if you aren't in PA, and I feel as though I will satisfy my degree requirements at UTSC as well.

So long story short, how easy will it be for me to transfer to UTSC Mgmt for Fall 2012?

Hey there,

I'm a second year at UTSC Co-op Management. The courses you listed are all first year courses. However I must tell you a couple things. (Below; I assume that you do not live on Waterloo campus however if you actually do, please continue reading)

1) If you already started on something you should finish it till the end.
Noticing that you've spent 1-2 years at AFM program, you should continue because
you've already wasted x amount of money. In addition, the program cost at our
university is probably about two times as much as your AFM program. I spend
about 7k first year but 15k flat fee for year 2, 16k for year 3 and so on.
Think logically;

" If you weren't living on Waterloo campus just to save res money, the program at my campus costs just as much as if you were living on res. In addition you have to restart over your university career."

2) Commuting
I commute about 2hrs per day in one trip and about 4 hours in total (I live in Richmond Hill). Depending where you live I guess you will may be commuting more or less. However if you plan to live on res at UTSC, you'll be paying more and total tuition per year will almost be 20k (Which is similar to your Waterloo case).

3) Prepare for unexpected grade drops
I must sadly agree that my campus or the entire university tends to distribute grades in a central tendency distribution (Bell shape curve). You may experience a lower morale during first year courses or further up.

Now here's the benefits of going to UTSC management/ Co-op

1) You attain a UofT degree
2) If you are in Co-op management, you get to have 3 co-op work terms which can be extended if the employer likes you which can ultimately and theoretically be expanded to over 6 work terms.
3) Classes do get very small when you begin to take second year courses so that's good for learning
4) Professors are actually very nice and answer your questions in class and office hours. T.As are nice and respond to your questions. (You only get tutorials in first year courses and 1-2 second year courses)
5) Small university with many different races, clubs (extracurricular), and quick accessibility to different buildings.

Here's some feed back in courses;

MGTA03H3 (Introduction to Management I)- Take Prof. Laurence and never Bolvaire despite senior student advices or orientation spoofs.
- MGTA04H3 (Introduction to Management II)- Take Prof. Laurence again
- ECMA04H3 (Introduction to Microeconomics: Mathematical Approach) You most likely get only one Prof for this course so that's Prof. Cleveland (He`s good)
- ECMA06H3 (Introduction to Macroeconomics: Mathematical Approach)- You`ll get Iris Au, just listen attentively because she has a Chinese accent.
- MATA32H3 (Calculus for Management I)- Take it with Grinell
- MATA33H3 (Calculus for Management II- Take it with Grinell

I also recommend you take MGTB06 and MGTB05 which are accounting courses. They usually are G.P.A killers for first year students but it`s better to get it over with and it`s mandatory if your in the co-op program. Anyways, I invite you to UTSC and wish you best of luck. However do consider my reasons for asking you to stay at Waterloo as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I really appreciate it.
ok so in terms of the cons you listed, many of them actually don't apply to me.
1. Im only in my first semester at Waterloo. So, I'm only taking 5 of the above courses right now. If the switch becomes easy, I can choose to not attend school next semester and wait for Fall 2012. For my first semester, I only spent about $4000 for my first semester thanks to scholarships and bursaries.
2. I won't actually have to commute because my sister also goes to UTSC so she can take me with her in her car. I also live in Markham, which is fairly close to the school.
3.This is my biggest concern. I've heard that the grading system at UTSC is terrible which is what prevented my from accepting their offer last May. However, now I want to move back home because I've decided that residence life is definitely not for me.

By the way, do you know of anyone who has transferred into the program? Where they able to transfer many of their courses? Are the co-op placements bad? I know some people have said that Waterloo's co-op is much better than UTSC's. Do you know if I can enter the program in Winter? I've heard that new enrollments can happen in Winter, but I'm not sure.

Long story short, I like my program, but I really want to move back home. UTSC is the next best alternative.

By the way thank you for your advice for courses and such. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12

@Sahana25 wrote
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I really appreciate it.
ok so in terms of the cons you listed, many of them actually don't apply to me.
1. Im only in my first semester at Waterloo. So, I'm only taking 5 of the above courses right now. If the switch becomes easy, I can choose to not attend school next semester and wait for Fall 2012. For my first semester, I only spent about $4000 for my first semester thanks to scholarships and bursaries.
2. I won't actually have to commute because my sister also goes to UTSC so she can take me with her in her car. I also live in Markham, which is fairly close to the school.
3.This is my biggest concern. I've heard that the grading system at UTSC is terrible which is what prevented my from accepting their offer last May. However, now I want to move back home because I've decided that residence life is definitely not for me.

By the way, do you know of anyone who has transferred into the program? Where they able to transfer many of their courses? Are the co-op placements bad? I know some people have said that Waterloo's co-op is much better than UTSC's. Do you know if I can enter the program in Winter? I've heard that new enrollments can happen in Winter, but I'm not sure.

Long story short, I like my program, but I really want to move back home. UTSC is the next best alternative.

By the way thank you for your advice for courses and such. :)

I do know one person that has transferred from I think Mcmasters or Queens or something. He transferred into the Management program. In most cases, unless you don't apply for the Co-op management program, you will be placed in the regular. To enter the Co-op Management program you'll need to submit an application and a C.G.P.A of at least 3.5-3.7. As for courses, I really don't know but I do know that UofT does accept certain courses as credits so you may not have to take all first year courses. I'm not sure about Waterloo Co-op being better or worse. In some cases, it may be less competitive and here's way;

The Co-op at UTSC operates using the UTSC CSM, this allows students to view all the employer postings online and during the recruitment rounds, students are able to apply as many. The reason you should apply to as many as possible because ever semester there will be at least 200 co-op students seeking for work, these employers also recruit from other universities and internally. However in the end there is always more jobs than students and this sorta compensates. On the other hand, if you are not chosen for Co-op during the first work term, you have to deferred it and I've met people that deferred it a couple of times. Hence, when you enter UTSC first year, you should apply to as many clubs and organizations to boost up your resume for these job searches.

As for Winter enrollment, you theoretically may have a chance to actually attend as early as this Winter. However, you should be contacting the university asap and submitting your application now. Contact the registrar and ask them for details.

Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you so much!
I'm going to go to the registrar's office on Monday. I'm not too worried about my GPA because i expect my grades to be anywhere from 80-86

But thanks again, I really appreciate how you took the time to write such long and in depth responses, they were really helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of agnes11 agnes11
hey. im a first year student in the afm program too and im also thinking of transferring to utsc!
but im not sure abt how to do that. do we have to submit the ouac 105 application? ty :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Its apparently really difficult, I've spoken to the UTSC admissions people, and apparently a lot of our courses will not easily transfer over. We may end up starting from scratch except for econ. But I'm curious as to the reasons why you want to transfer. I just want to move back home and have more freedom with my degree. But i decided against switching because I think that Waterloo sets us up better for success.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of agnes11 agnes11
I want to move back home too, i really dont like to live by myself.
I kno waterloo afm is a better program, but im tired of going back every weekend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Toronto12 wrote
In addition, the program cost at our university is probably about two times as much as your AFM program.

I realize this is an old post, but ha ha ha, if only this was true.

@agnes11 - while I do not see why you would leave such an awesome program, I do believe that you do the 105 application. I also can see why only the econ courses can transfer over: the two programs have vastly different first years and AFM is so un-transfer friendly with all of the "special" AFM courses and unique program structure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0