yconic - Transferring to UWO (Western) engineering from UWO science next year. Opinions? Help please?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Transferring to UWO (Western) engineering from UWO science next year. Opinions? Help please?!

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So, i've almost completed my first year of science at Western, but i think engineering is more for me. I got accepted to Waterloo for mechanical and nano engineering last year, but I really didn't feel prepared/ready to handle the program, and i also had no idea what i wanted to do. I also got accepted to western for general science and electrical engineering.

Nearing the end of first year, I know I don't wanna become a doctor or dentist, and i really hate biology. I know now for sure that I'm more of a math and physics guy who like to work hard. I've decided to transfer to first year engineering next year. I'll have some transfer credits to take with me (calculus I and II, chemistry, physics, and a non-technical elective). I will catch up on some common first year courses and take some second year ones as well, where applicable.

So, what else should I do from here? Should I slowly ease my way into engineering at Western to make sure I really do like it/get ha high GPA, and then transfer to waterloo after my second year? Or should I just stick it out at Western, graduate, and then do graduate engineering studies at waterloo?

I feel like I am making things more difficult for myself, but at the same time, I feel like I am doing the right thing. Help please?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

@TheMetroidPhysicist wrote
So, i've almost completed my first year of science at Western, but i think engineering is more for me. I got accepted to Waterloo for mechanical and nano engineering last year, but I really didn't feel prepared/ready to handle the program, and i also had no idea what i wanted to do. I also got accepted to western for general science and electrical engineering.

Nearing the end of first year, I know I don't wanna become a doctor or dentist, and i really hate biology. I know now for sure that I'm more of a math and physics guy who like to work hard. I've decided to transfer to first year engineering next year. I'll have some transfer credits to take with me (calculus I and II, chemistry, physics, and a non-technical elective). I will catch up on some common first year courses and take some second year ones as well, where applicable.

So, what else should I do from here? Should I slowly ease my way into engineering at Western to make sure I really do like it/get ha high GPA, and then transfer to waterloo after my second year? Or should I just stick it out at Western, graduate, and then do graduate engineering studies at waterloo?

I feel like I am making things more difficult for myself, but at the same time, I feel like I am doing the right thing. Help please?!

Also, i feel that now that i prettymuch have a year of university under my belt, i will be better off going into engineering than i was ayear ago. Did i make a series of stupid choices?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Your still fine. I dont think your choice was stupid most people dont know what they want to do after high school. The only thing you could have done differently maybe was go into a general first year engineering program. Go into engineering at western, see you if you like it and then go from there. You might end up wanting to stay at Western. Also check out the dual degree program (business+eng) if you can achieve a high gpa in engineering. I dont know the whole process for transferring to different schools but westerns program is still good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0