yconic - Transferring Universities in Second Year
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Transferring Universities in Second Year

A photo of TrueTrue10 TrueTrue10
I was admitted into the pre management program at UTSC, as a safety blanket I want to apply to schools just in case UTSC doesnt work out. As of now, I have a 3.08 GPA and I have fairly decent extracurricular activities.

I was considering Laurier, Ryerson and I wasnt sure what other university I should apply to and have a decent chance of getting in. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of illuminati illuminati
Try Sauder.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jdot111 Jdot111

@TrueTrue10 wrote
I was admitted into the pre management program at UTSC, as a safety blanket I want to apply to schools just in case UTSC doesnt work out. As of now, I have a 3.08 GPA and I have fairly decent extracurricular activities.

I was considering Laurier, Ryerson and I wasnt sure what other university I should apply to and have a decent chance of getting in. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

UTSC pre-management is notorious for kicking people out. its a real money grab because most who are admitted dont make it past 1st year. with that being said you need a 3.3 to be guaranteed into 2nd year.

Ryerson admits around 1000 people for its bcomm program, and it is direct entry. UTM is in the process of expanding their Commerce program to admit around 40-50 more so you could try there but competition is tough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LauraXO LauraXO
If you only did one year, I think if you apply to Ryerson you would have to start at year one. The way Ryersons transfer works is that as long as you are able to continue at your current university (not kicked out) you can apply to transfer, transfer is based on highschool marks rather than university ones, unless you apply to 3rd year advanced standing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jdot111 wrote

@TrueTrue10 wrote

Thanks!

UTSC pre-management is notorious for kicking people out. its a real money grab because most who are admitted dont make it past 1st year. with that being said you need a 3.3 to be guaranteed into 2nd year.

Ryerson admits around 1000 people for its bcomm program, and it is direct entry. UTM is in the process of expanding their Commerce program to admit around 40-50 more so you could try there but competition is tough.

UTSC pre-management is definately a very silly option to choose, if I had actually thought things through I wouldn't be here at UTSC. I was told that the cut offs for management vary from 3.10 to 3.22 depending on how smart the class is, so I still have my fingers crossed, but in terms of the school environment, I'm not so sure I'd rather be here either way.

I was considering UTM, but it seems just as tough as UTSC in terms of making it into second year. But it is most certainly an option, thank you for informing me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LauraXO wrote
If you only did one year, I think if you apply to Ryerson you would have to start at year one. The way Ryersons transfer works is that as long as you are able to continue at your current university (not kicked out) you can apply to transfer, transfer is based on highschool marks rather than university ones, unless you apply to 3rd year advanced standing.

Shoot really? That kinda sucks, but if I can transfer over credits then things may work out... as in I may just have to take the courses that are pre-reqs for the second year. I'll make sure to email them. Thank you!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@illuminati wrote
Try Sauder.

Sauder seems like an amazing school, thanks for the suggestion!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted