yconic - TRENT WUT? IS IT...?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

TRENT WUT? IS IT...?

A photo of TH3U TH3U
I herd trent university is one of the most friendly universities around and least racist but then i herd peterborough is a racist area so whats the deal with that since trent is in peterborough?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I think this impression of Peterborough mainly comes from the demographic breakdown of it. We generally lack a huge middle age population. The majority of people are either younger or older (take a stroll through Peterborough, and you'll soon run out of fingers when trying to count the retirement residences). As such, I think it's primarily the older people who aren't as accepting as others. As a Trent student, your interactions with such people will be limited at best.

To be frank, I haven't heard of anyone experiencing blatant racism in Peterborough. I was just hypothesizing why you might have heard what you did about Peterborough. Generally there is a pretty accepting culture in Peterborough. What I suggest if you're worried about Peterborough not being an inclusive city is to come here for a day trip some time and spend some time (ask me if you need places to go - I can give you some things to check out). See if you feel discriminated against and decide from there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dope Dope
Wow, never before have I had to read "Peterborough" as many times as I did in the previous post lol.

Anyhow, obviously if you are asking this question you have a concern of racist people effecting your post secondary life. You should never acknowledge your fears when making an important decision, or ever for that matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TH3U TH3U

@Ba Ba Blue wrote
I think this impression of Peterborough mainly comes from the demographic breakdown of it. We generally lack a huge middle age population. The majority of people are either younger or older (take a stroll through Peterborough, and you'll soon run out of fingers when trying to count the retirement residences). As such, I think it's primarily the older people who aren't as accepting as others. As a Trent student, your interactions with such people will be limited at best.

To be frank, I haven't heard of anyone experiencing blatant racism in Peterborough. I was just hypothesizing why you might have heard what you did about Peterborough. Generally there is a pretty accepting culture in Peterborough. What I suggest if you're worried about Peterborough not being an inclusive city is to come here for a day trip some time and spend some time (ask me if you need places to go - I can give you some things to check out). See if you feel discriminated against and decide from there.

thats really good to hear...but in terms of demographic of the school itself..how many percentage of indian ppl r in the school? just curious..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There are not very many Indian people at Trent. With that said, there are Indian people - you may just have to look harder to find them. In fact, I just recently when to a cultural performance where one of the acts did a Bollywood/Bhangra cross-over dance and it was really nice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ReillyDuffer ReillyDuffer
Dear TH3U,

The students enrolled in Trent University are for the most part polite and inclusive. Many of the groups move together within culture and within economic status. Most of the faculty employed by the institution of Trent are also inclusive. Their student accounts office has a few bad eggs in the basket though.
The town of Peterborough definitely has people who are racist. The problem does not seem to stem from the older generation, many of whom are the friendliest people you will ever meet. However the blatant racism comes from some of the youth at local highschools and even at times within Trent itself.
On a side note, I find it very unsettling that the previous post from 'Ba Ba Blue' pointed at the elderly population without just cause!! That's discriminatory in itself!!! Know the facts, if you are just guessing, keep it to yourself or try to rid yourself of judgmental and discriminatory ideologies!!!!!
This is the truth, it has been experienced, and is also recorded in the Examiner(Peterboroughs newspaper).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ReillyDuffer wrote
Dear TH3U,

The students enrolled in Trent University are for the most part polite and inclusive. Many of the groups move together within culture and within economic status. Most of the faculty employed by the institution of Trent are also inclusive. Their student accounts office has a few bad eggs in the basket though.
The town of Peterborough definitely has people who are racist. The problem does not seem to stem from the older generation, many of whom are the friendliest people you will ever meet. However the blatant racism comes from some of the youth at local highschools and even at times within Trent itself.
On a side note, I find it very unsettling that the previous post from 'Ba Ba Blue' pointed at the elderly population without just cause!! That's discriminatory in itself!!! Know the facts, if you are just guessing, keep it to yourself or try to rid yourself of judgmental and discriminatory ideologies!!!!!
This is the truth, it has been experienced, and is also recorded in the Examiner(Peterboroughs newspaper).

Your comments about the high school students are just as unqualified as mine about older people. I'm not saying that either of us are correct (stereotyping in such a way almost always isn't), but rather that we have very different perspectives. I just don't appreciate the hypocrisy in the above comment.

Just to qualify what I said before, as now I feel like I should...

I've not had any run-ins with the older residents of Peterborough. I was just talking based on previous experience with baby boomers in other settings (and I've had plenty of these) where they mean no harm, but several of their comments either stereotype or they are genuinely apathetic towards other cultures. Of course this isn't inclusive of all people in that age group. I just noticed a tendency in the ones I dealt with to act this way more often than other age groups I worked with.

Extrapolating my small sample, I inferred that this tendency would be proportionately consistent in Peterborough where there are a lot of older people. I am sorry if that offends you - I am just going off my experience.

Yes it is a guess, but one based off my experience. Can we please not disqualify my experience even if yours is different? I have no discriminatory ideologies. If there was a sample I could interact with that contradicted my prior experience, I'd be more than happy to change my perception of the issue. As I said previously, my experiences indicate that the people are NOT racist in nature, but rather some people lack the knowledge to fully appreciate cultural diversity (again, only from personal experience). They are genuinely nice as you said, considering the knowledge they personally have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0