yconic - Trouble about choosing Majors
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Trouble about choosing Majors

A photo of kaikai0519 kaikai0519
Hi Guys,
I am a U of T st george student, first year, humanity. Currently, I am taking Political Science, English, Linguistic and East Asian Study. It's about time for me to choose majors and minors, yet I have no idea how to choose. I was thinking of majoring in English and Poltical Science, or English and Linguistic. Yet my grade in English is currently 68 (final has not come out yet). Do you guys think I should continue on English even if my grade is not even at 70s.:!: Someone told me that when you go into upper year, the grade should be better. Is that the case? Please I need someone to give me advice for that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
What do you want to do in the future? Job? Grad school? That should help guide you to what major to choose
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am still trying to figure out what I am going to do in the future. Perhaps journalists or lawyer.I am considering taking grad school in the future yet However, with a 68 English grade, is it even safe to continue? Personally, I am interested in politics, literature and linguistic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It's great to think about what you're interested in, but it's also important to think about what sort of job you want, and what credentials you need to get it.

Your low English mark is worrisome, as if you continued to only get grades in the 60-70 range you would have no hope at grad school in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This is exactly what I am worrying about. I can't afford having a low grade like this one for the next three years. I have so little faith on having improvement on English in the future, yet some upperclassmen told me that I will probably get a higher grade in next year.(instructors mark easier than first year). So frustrated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
If you want a job, don't major in english.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

May I ask why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mccannca466 mccannca466
It's pretty much impossible to get a job with an English degree, especially an undergrad. What exactly does it specialize you to do over everyone else? English degrees teach you to "think" and write well; all well and good, those are skills needed in every job.

But everyone can learn to write well. And if your only advantage over everyone else in the job market is slightly more sophisticated writing abilities (and sadly, your marks aren't cutting it currently), you're not going to stand out in any way for any potential job. Not even for a writer's job.

I find that most people who specialize in English have to take grad studies as a minimum, many even do ANOTHER undergraduate degree. Ask yourself: do you really wanna shell out an average of $30,000 a year for a degree that has bleak job opportunities?

And yes, I love English. It's what I do best. But I decided not to major in it, because it has no job future. I even went back for an extra year to upgrade my math and sciences, even though I got into English at McMaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0