yconic - Trying to get into Vet Med?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Trying to get into Vet Med?

A photo of lexi07 lexi07
Just wondering if anyone else on here is trying to get into vet med. I want to know what schools you plan on applying to and just general talk! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I am :)

I just applied to OVC Guelph this year (finishing up my 3rd year undergrad).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lexi07 lexi07
Awesome! Good luck. So what province are you a residence of? Did you apply at other schools? I'm just figuring out where I should apply to when I am eligible!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Thanks, I'm an Ontarian resident. Didn't apply to any other schools. If I don't get in this year, I'll be finishing up my 4th year of undergrad and then applying to OVC again. I don't know if I'm applying to other schools because I really don't want to pay out of province/international tuition fees.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlbertoWeiler AlbertoWeiler
The Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences has a more than 90 year history of educating leaders in veterinary medicine. The Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital can provide the compassionate care and from leading edge discovery in the laboratory to dynamic classroom experiences. For more information you may get reference from here http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/dg-science-and-medical-113.aspx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of biosci biosci
Hey! I am hoping to get into OVC and I know that they don't give preference to Guelph undergraduates but if you look at the statistics. Over 3/4 of incoming students did their undergrads at Guelph. I don't know if it's because it is a good school or because of the constant motivation of seeing the veterinary school but most are Guelph graduates. :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Remember, extracurricular animal experience is important, and having started that/those experiences well before applying is highly considered. My gf got into OVC with a 3.6 or so cGPA (so, nothing spectacular), after completing her degree, 28R MCAT (again, nothing spectacular, at least not for med), but she volunteered at an animal rehab centre since grade 9 and worked one summer at African Lion Safari (a drive-thru wild animal park in Ontario). I get the impression that her "applicant profile" was about average, and she thought she did well on the interview.

EDIT: the reason so many people from Guelph are accepted is because so many people who are serious about vet med go to Guelph thinking that doing so will give them an edge. Professional schools want the best applicants, and there is really no reason to be nepotistic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of biosci biosci
Yes and experience does help like Matt said, again by going to Guelph it opens up many volunteer oppertunities such as foal watch, small animal surgery, large animal surgery, volunteering at the central animal facility etc.

Volunteering at your local humane society or a local clinic is also a good way to get experience!

Yeah and they have also changed the interview process. Instead of a few people throwing questions at you, you now go through a series of 8 scenerios and 16 people interview you. :albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
MMIs, yikes. I'm so glad I didn't have to go through that whole process.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lexi07 lexi07
oh wow, OVC is pretty intense with the interview process. I am currently in my first year of pre vet at University of Saskatchewan and hoping to apply to WCVM in my second or third year. I wish i was eligible to apply to more schools around Canada!
Was this helpful? Yes 0