yconic - Trying to pick the right program? Here's a bit about my first year at Queen's...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Trying to pick the right program? Here's a bit about my first year at Queen's...

A photo of Lumos Lumos
Universities are about fit and finding what best suits your lifestyle. The purpose of this post is to help you choose whether applying and/or attending QC is the right choice for you.

Here are some of the things that I love about Queen's that may appeal to you:

-Having nearly everyone live in res for at least first-year is a great way to meet people. Many of my closest friends at Queen's are my floormates.

-There is ALWAYS something to do (most of the things I mention here have websites you can Google if you want more info). Queen's offers tons of conferences not only within the Commerce program, but campus-wide (some of them cost money, but most of them are heavily subsidized by sponsors) like Queen's Conference on Philanthropy, Queen's Conference on Water, and Queen's Canadian Leadership Conference, to name a few.

-Queen's offers a large variety of speakers. The students regularly get e-mails about alumni who are returning to host talks. Many of them won't interest you but every now and then you'll find something that peaks your interest. I attended a talk by CNN's Chief Business Correspondent, Ali Veshi, and I found it very valuable.

-Students tend to have a lot of pride in their faculties (supposedly more than 99% of first-year engineers got "QUEEN'S APPLIED SCIENCE" jackets this year - I was eager to get my QC jacket, and in the school in general.

-Exchange is a really cool opportunity. Something like 82% (I'm pulling numbers from thin air. I recall reading this number in an e-mail...) of students go on exchange for one semester of their third-year. There are so many options that picking which schools to apply to can be a challenge. I'm in Chinese 100 right now and I hope to test my skills somewhere in Asia in third-year.

-If student government is your thing, you can get involved with the Commerce Society (https://comsoc.queensu.ca/). At a campus-wide level, the AMS (Alma Mater Society) plays a crucial role in students' lives at Queen's and there are many leadership opportunities (they also offer a ton of on-campus work positions).

-Queen's has a great athletic facility (the Athletics and Recreation Centre - the "ARC" - is brand new and has plenty of lifting facilities, gyms, yoga classes, dance groups...), great technological resources, mediocre cafeteria food (hey, can't win 'em all...) and no shortage of social life.

Please feel free to post questions here and I'd be happy to answer them. Alternatively, you may contact me at 9bf7@queensu.ca, or by sending me a message on Facebook.

Good luck in finding the school that's right for you.

Edit: You can also visit the Queen's Commerce 2015 page to ask other QC students and the official High School Liason committee your questions at http://on.fb.me/fiz6uP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
42 replies

A photo of QCman QCman
Just to correct you , its 80% go on exchange on average and just to add on, i believe you need a 70% average to qualify to apply to one of the 80 participating universities..

With regards to speakers, some of you might be interested in knowing that Robert Herjavec from dragons den ,is a common visitor to QC, and he also is the main judge of one of QC's entrepreneurship competitions. Word on the street is that his son has QC as his top choice and could be a fellow classmate of you Comm' 15's
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos
Thanks for the additions. The proportion of third-years who are going on (or have been on) exchange this year is actually 82% this year and there were 81 partner schools offered.

That's cool about Mr. Herjavec's son considering QC. I saw Mr. Herjavec speak at Goodes during the QSB/PELA CFDC... The man knows what he's doing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of linlinlin0109 linlinlin0109
But other than its exchange program, does Queen's have internship (or co-op)? And how does the internship work?

Also, I want to go into accounting. Is Queen's a good choice for accounting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
around 40% of the graduating class goes into accounting and all the big firms recruit here so getting int accounting isnt a problem. We dont have a co-op program at queens but you can go to the career office and look for summer internships and summer jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos

@linlinlin0109 wrote
But other than its exchange program, does Queen's have internship (or co-op)? And how does the internship work?

Also, I want to go into accounting. Is Queen's a good choice for accounting?

As far as I know, there is no co-op program (and if there is, I have not heard of a single person who has been involved in it) for QC. Most students have summer internships at various firms every year *after second and third year.

There are a variety of resources like the Business Career Center, various job fairs, and summer job workshops that can help you find a summer internship/job.

I also know of a few students who work during the school year as well (at TD, Scotiabank) but this is less common.

Many students here go into accounting and job placement is very high. I haven't heard of any fourth-year students here who are interested in accounting who are having trouble finding jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos
I think this post may once more become relevant as admission decisions are being mailed out.

Do you have any questions about QC? Post them here and I'll do my best to respond to them in a timely manner.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Snack Snack
Are the jackets free? :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Lumos wrote
I think this post may once more become relevant as admission decisions are being mailed out.

Do you have any questions about QC? Post them here and I'll do my best to respond to them in a timely manner.

Not a huge issue, but I'm curious, how is the diversity within QC. I understand that most people consider Queens as a "predominately" white school, but how diverse is the Commerce program? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Any regrets about your decision?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos

@Snack wrote
Are the jackets free? :bounce:

Unfortunately, they are not free. This year they cost about $380-400 (I know, that's pretty hefty, but they're made of very high quality material and if you dissipate the cost over 4 years... It's not too bad.). There is an opportunity for one student to get a free jacket, though; there is a contest to design the crest (the 'coat of arms' on the left breast). If your design is picked, then you get a free jacket.

@ZFero wrote

@Lumos wrote

Not a huge issue, but I'm curious, how is the diversity within QC. I understand that most people consider Queens as a "predominately" white school, but how diverse is the Commerce program? Thanks.

Relative to the rest of Queen's, I can safely assert that there is a greater proportion of students in QC than in the rest of the Queen's population who may be characterized as "ethnic." I would estimate approximately 1/3 to 2/5 of QC students are not caucasian.

@IanSharer wrote
Any regrets about your decision?

No, I have none at all. If anything, I think that I was relieved when I came to Queen's. QC has certainly exceeded my expectations. I'll admit that I did expect the classes to be more challenging (not that they are easy now - I just thought they'd be harder). Outside of class, though, there are many opportunities to get involved. The only limitations are your drive and time management skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How many internships are there for accounting students?

How many of those are at CATOs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos

@johnnycanuck wrote

Internships where? That's a question outside the scope of QC and therefore certainly out of the scope of my knowledge. From what I understand, though, most students do successfully find summer internships. I've never heard of any horror stories like "I couldn't find an internship last summer." While it's certainly possible that this may happen, the general consensus is that students do find summer internships without too much difficulty.

@Second question - I'm not familiar with CATOs. Does that have anything to do with auditing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Lumos wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Internships where? That's a question outside the scope of QC and therefore certainly out of the scope of my knowledge. From what I understand, though, most students do successfully find summer internships. I've never heard of any horror stories like "I couldn't find an internship last summer." While it's certainly possible that this may happen, the general consensus is that students do find summer internships without too much difficulty.

@Second question - I'm not familiar with CATOs. Does that have anything to do with auditing?

Alright, don't worry about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for posting this about QC! I eventually decided not to go there, but it's a great program. I agree with you that it's all about fit, and where you, as an individual, feel like you fit in the most.

I might just do one of these about Ivey AEO soon ;D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra
I was at Queen's Commerce before I left for medical reasons but here's my 2cents.

Residence
Your first year experience is highly dependent on the people that are living on your floor and the residence you're living in. Some residences/floors are more monotonous than others.
For example on my floor the majority of the people chose to hang out with their old high school friends instead of mingling with other people on their floor resulting in a very dissociative relationship amongst one another. If I hadn't joined any clubs or participated in any events I would have probably made no friends at all this year.

Community
The close-knit community hype is BS. This may be true in small programs such as music, commerce and engineering but there's hardly a close-knit community on the whole. However the community has gotten close after that Nick Day debacle (more like Undergraduate vs Graduate students).

Frosh
Your frosh group will not be with you for the entire year. A lot of people stop talking to people in their frosh group after the first week of school (it depends though, SOME frosh groups do meet up time and time again). The frosh activities that you're partaking in are not unique and they're not all exciting as some posters have led you to believe but nonetheless you will find yourself committing to a few activities along the way.

Faculty
The professors in Commerce are really nice especially in comparison to all the other professors at Queen's. Commerce professors seek to make "friends" with their students-meaning they do seek to know your name and your personality. In fact,I was able to sit down for a chat and a cup of coffee with a few of the profs. In commerce, you're not just another number, professors consider you as their "peer" (not academically but you get the gist).

Courses
Courses are easy. As long as you do the readings and do your homework there's absolutely no way you can score lower than an 80 in most of your courses. If you do not understand the material, there's more than enough tutorial time to alleviate yourself of these problems. While the atmosphere of the program may be competitive, QComm stresses teamwork above all else so it's not as "cut-throat" as other business programs (i.e Wharton).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@Zarathustra wrote
I was at Queen's Commerce before I left for medical reasons but here's my 2cents.

Residence
Your first year experience is highly dependent on the people that are living on your floor and the residence you're living in. Some residences/floors are more monotonous than others.
For example on my floor the majority of the people chose to hang out with their old high school friends instead of mingling with other people on their floor resulting in a very dissociative relationship amongst one another. If I hadn't joined any clubs or participated in any events I would have probably made no friends at all this year.

Community
The close-knit community hype is BS. This may be true in small programs such as music, commerce and engineering but there's hardly a close-knit community on the whole. However the community has gotten close after that Nick Day debacle (more like Undergraduate vs Graduate students).

Frosh
Your frosh group will not be with you for the entire year. A lot of people stop talking to people in their frosh group after the first week of school (it depends though, SOME frosh groups do meet up time and time again). The frosh activities that you're partaking in are not unique and they're not all exciting as some posters have led you to believe but nonetheless you will find yourself committing to a few activities along the way.

Faculty
The professors in Commerce are really nice especially in comparison to all the other professors at Queen's. Commerce professors seek to make "friends" with their students-meaning they do seek to know your name and your personality. In fact,I was able to sit down for a chat and a cup of coffee with a few of the profs. In commerce, you're not just another number, professors consider you as their "peer" (not academically but you get the gist).

Courses
Courses are easy. As long as you do the readings and do your homework there's absolutely no way you can score lower than an 80 in most of your courses. If you do not understand the material, there's more than enough tutorial time to alleviate yourself of these problems. While the atmosphere of the program may be competitive, QComm stresses teamwork above all else so it's not as "cut-throat" as other business programs (i.e Wharton).

Thanks for sharing!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jennyau jennyau
What other university programs did you get accepted to/were considering and why did you choose Queens over these programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos

@silenthuntr7 wrote
Thanks for posting this about QC! I eventually decided not to go there, but it's a great program. I agree with you that it's all about fit, and where you, as an individual, feel like you fit in the most.

I might just do one of these about Ivey AEO soon ;D

Please do one! I'd be interested in reading it.

@Zarathustra wrote

Residence

Community

Frosh

Faculty

Courses

Thanks for your input.

@Residence - That's a valid point. I'm sorry that you did not find your residence experience as enjoyable as I did. I have heard of some students who did not enjoy their residences. For the most part, though, I think it safe to say that a large majority of students do thoroughly enjoy their time in res.

@Community - I'm not sure what "close-knit community hype" you're referring to. Commerce students certainly have a lot of pride and there is a general "community feel" within the school of business.

@Frosh - I agree. I don't often speak with many of the members from my frosh group. Frosh week is a great experience though.

@Faculty - I agree completely.

@Courses - I would not label the courses as "easy." Marks are certainly very spread out and it is possible to earn high 90's in many classes. Averages for classes tend to hover around 75%. I agree that there is a huge emphasis on group work. QC is known for that.

@jennyau wrote
What other university programs did you get accepted to/were considering and why did you choose Queens over these programs?

I applied and was accepted to Ivey and Rotman. I chose Queen's because I did not want to wait a year or two before delving into the content that I was interested in (as would have been the case at both Western and at U of T), nor did I fancy the idea of doing case after case after case after case. I also felt as though U of T lacked campus borders... I prefer the Queen's campus feel.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos
Queen's community spirit:

QueensLovesU - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVkGSAqCIE

Queen's LipDub - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYUUBm2s7NI
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Lumos wrote
Queen's community spirit:

QueensLovesU - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVkGSAqCIE

Queen's LipDub - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYUUBm2s7NI

Also to add on top of this

Flash Mob- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6y6MdsUJZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wFKYTVA8ZQ
Epic Meal Time- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIYn8NP87Y

etc
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Are there gamers (computer games, not like... "casual console shooters") at Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
i know a few ppl who play Star craft 2 , lumos can fill you in more on the gaming scene :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote
Are there gamers (computer games, not like... "casual console shooters") at Queen's?

if you're talking about competitive gaming such as CAL, ESEA etc then I'm pretty sure there's not many of them here. You may have better luck at McGill (they host ETS every winter there) or McMaster (they host their own lan)

There are some at Queen's especially if you look on the hub but for the most part they're all casual gamers. The internet is also decent enough to use to play multiplayer pc games like WOW or CS 1.6 or SC2/Xbox live if that's your thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@Zarathustra wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

if you're talking about competitive gaming such as CAL, ESEA etc then I'm pretty sure there's not many of them here. You may have better luck at McGill (they host ETS every winter there) or McMaster (they host their own lan)

There are some at Queen's especially if you look on the hub but for the most part they're all casual gamers. The internet is also decent enough to use to play multiplayer pc games like WOW or CS 1.6 or SC2/Xbox live if that's your thing.

LOL, oh gosh, CAL. No way am I a competitive gamer; I didn't even know what ESEA was haha. I just want to make sure that there's still the odd gamer around that plays SC2/DOTA/1.6 and that I won't immediately be cast out of the Queen's community. In any case, I think the Internet is global, right? I could theoretically still play with my high school friends :$
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011

@onlymatthew wrote

@Zarathustra wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

LOL, oh gosh, CAL. No way am I a competitive gamer; I didn't even know what ESEA was haha. I just want to make sure that there's still the odd gamer around that plays SC2/DOTA/1.6 and that I won't immediately be cast out of the Queen's community. In any case, I think the Internet is global, right? I could theoretically still play with my high school friends :$

You can do some research into what clubs are available at Queen's.

http://www.myams.org/clubfinder/search.php

That could get you started. I think it has contact information about who runs the clubs and you might find one on gaming. If not, you can start one when you get here. The AMS is always open to creating new clubs.

- Keith
Was this helpful? Yes 0