yconic - Two questions on applying to university...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Two questions on applying to university...

A photo of LawBound LawBound
Hi all,

I've gotten my marks back and I have a 94 average. I'm actually surprised, as I thought I'd end up with a lower 90... anyhow! I have two questions:

1. How early can I apply to universities next year? (I'm taking a year off, so I didn't apply this year).

2. Do you reckon this 94 would get me into McGill Arts and Trinity at UofT for PoliSci? Those are the two that I'd like to get in to, preferably McGill though.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of g93 g93
1. You can apply whenever you get your OUAC code (assuming you live in Ontario). Our school was supposed to get them from OUAC in early November, but it ended up being late November before we got them I think. The code allows you to set up your OUAC account and then you can apply. Most people at my school applied in December.

2. Most likely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@LawBound wrote

2. Do you reckon this 94 would get me into McGill Arts and Trinity at UofT for PoliSci? Those are the two that I'd like to get in to, preferably McGill though.

McGill Arts, yes. Trin also yes, if you have a decent supp app.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright - thanks :)

As for scholarships, can I apply for them prior to being accepted to University, so should I be accepted first and then apply for some?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
No, definitely apply prior to being accepted. Many of the applications are due before December anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sllencer sllencer
I might seem like a pessimist... But if you're planning on applying next year (2011-2012) you wouldn't be in school..? So, I think there might be some different form/application type for you, that's diff than next year's grade 12 high schoolers. And dude, why didn't you apply this year, and ask for a defferal (apply, get accepted, meet conditions, defer until year after to start school)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
No, there would be no different form/application for someone who took a year off. You're still entering your first year of university.

I could see a handful of scholarships requiring you to have graduated high school in a certain year, but most just specify you must be entering your first year of university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sllencer wrote
I might seem like a pessimist... But if you're planning on applying next year (2011-2012) you wouldn't be in school..? So, I think there might be some different form/application type for you, that's diff than next year's grade 12 high schoolers. And dude, why didn't you apply this year, and ask for a defferal (apply, get accepted, meet conditions, defer until year after to start school)?

Hmmm, I'm honestly not sure why I didn't apply. I suppose I just jumped the gun on that one, but I reckon it won't play against me. I'm just worried about the fact that I might be abroad when applying to university, so I'm worried that my applications might get lost in the mail or something. Or can I just apply online for scholarships and everything?

I leave October 1st, so do you think I can apply to university and scholarships prior to this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
No, definitely apply prior to being accepted. Many of the applications are due before December anyways.

Oh, alright. Do you think I could apply right now for scholarships - like, before the school year even starts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Start looking for scholarships now and see when the deadlines are. If the applications are already up you can definitely fill them out early. Otherwise if the application doesn't come out before you leave you'll have to do it overseas and you almost always have to mail it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
Actually, in Ontario, if you aren't in high school when you are applying, even if you are entering first year university, you do have a different application.

You need to fill out an OUAC 105: http://www.ouac.on.ca/ouac-105/

To quote from their web site:

"You will complete the OUAC 105D application if you:

currently reside in Canada (Canadian citizens, permanent residents or those currently studying in Canada on a study permit or other visa) OR
are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident living elsewhere (not in Canada) AND
are not currently attending an Ontario secondary school in a day program."

Students who are still in high school fill out at different OUAC form.

So make sure you fill out the appropriate form when applying!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CatRunner wrote
Actually, in Ontario, if you aren't in high school when you are applying, even if you are entering first year university, you do have a different application.

You need to fill out an OUAC 105: http://www.ouac.on.ca/ouac-105/

To quote from their web site:

"You will complete the OUAC 105D application if you:

currently reside in Canada (Canadian citizens, permanent residents or those currently studying in Canada on a study permit or other visa) OR
are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident living elsewhere (not in Canada) AND
are not currently attending an Ontario secondary school in a day program."

Students who are still in high school fill out at different OUAC form.

So make sure you fill out the appropriate form when applying!

Thanks for the heads up!

Do I also use OUAC when applying to an out of province university? I haven't seen anything on the OUAC website pertaining to out of province universities, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to apply to McGill if not through OUAC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, and does anyone know how early I can apply to universities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@g93 wrote
1. You can apply whenever you get your OUAC code (assuming you live in Ontario). Our school was supposed to get them from OUAC in early November, but it ended up being late November before we got them I think. The code allows you to set up your OUAC account and then you can apply. Most people at my school applied in December.

So if you have an OUAC code you can technically apply now, although I would imagine some universities might have an earliest date after which you can apply (i.e. September 15th or something, so they can deal with this year's applicants before dealing with your application0
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
If you aren't currently in high school, you won't have an access code, and you don't need one. You apply through the OUAC 105 application, instead of the OUAC application for high school students.

The OUAC 105 site should state when the applications open up for the following year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik

@g93 wrote

2. Most likely.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik

@ktel wrote

@g93 wrote

So if you have an OUAC code you can technically apply now, although I would imagine some universities might have an earliest date after which you can apply (i.e. September 15th or something, so they can deal with this year's applicants before dealing with your application0

You can only have access to your code through your guidance counsellor. They give you and envelope with your OUAC applicant number and PIN and instructions. As far as I know, high schools give it somewhere between early November to anytime in December before breaks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0