yconic - U of A residence
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of A residence

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Has anyone here in this forum ever attended/is attending U of A and has lived in the residences? I've been offered early admission and am really considering going, but I have yet to apply for residence. Does anyone know what it's like living at the U of A? What the approximate costs are? I know the prices are on the website, I've done my research, trust me.. but often times, the expenses go way over what is told to us and given to use on the website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I go to the U of A, but I haven't lived in the residences; some of my friends, however, have. The expenses shouldn't go over what is listed on the U of A website, unless you're a big eater.

The school offers a pretty good variety of different residence options. HUB seems pretty cool if you're willing to pay the extra $$$ to live in a suite-style residence, though I believe it may just be limited to upper-year students. Lister is AWESOME if you don't mind living in a traditional dorm-style residence. The spirit there is something else, and the people who live there usually love the place - it has its own little culture (i.e. DODGEBALL).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I go to the U of A, but I haven't lived in the residences; some of my friends, however, have. The expenses shouldn't go over what is listed on the U of A website, unless you're a big eater.

The school offers a pretty good variety of different residence options. HUB seems pretty cool if you're willing to pay the extra $$$ to live in a suite-style residence, though I believe it may just be limited to upper-year students. Lister is AWESOME if you don't mind living in a traditional dorm-style residence. The spirit there is something else, and the people who live there usually love the place - it has its own little culture (i.e. DODGEBALL).

Yeah that's what I've been told. I'm planning to just live in Lister, but was wondering what it's like. Thanks, though!
I also see that you're in pharmacy? That's awesome.. I'm hoping to get into pharmacy at U of A someday, it was the main reason I applied. :)
Did you get in after your second year as a third year or did you finish your undergrad first?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, I don't think I've heard anyone say anything bad about Lister, so I'm sure you'll love it.

I finished my degree first. The reason being that I never planned on going into pharmacy until my fourth year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, I see I seeee :)
This is so off topic but I've never spoken with someone directly who's doing Pharmacy at U of A so I must take advantage! Haha :colors:
How are you liking it? I heard that it's a LOT of memorization. Have you also done the Industrial Internship/Co-op? O:
sorry, I just get so excited when I talk about it! haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think it's alright. I guess what I don't like about it is all the memorization - that's a given though: pharmacists have to know all about how the body works, how diseases change that, and how drugs work to treat diseases (and what the common dosages of drugs are, how those dosages might change in kidney or liver disease, what the common side effects are, which drugs can't be taken with one another, which drugs can't be taken during pregnancy/lactation, how long after the date of a prescription for a schedule 2 drug can you fill it, if you can accept a prescription for nabilone over the telephone, what alternative drug a patient could be treated with if their insurance company rejects drug X, etc...).

I don't know what you're talking about with "Industrial Internship/Co-op".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh wow that is a LOT of memorization, oh myyyyyy haha
But thank goodness I'm still willing to go through all that pain of memorizing :)

Uhmmm cooperative education? It's like.. you study for 1 term and for 1 term you go out and work in your area of interest. It's basically like a job, but related to your area of study. You get paid for it and everythinggg.. you get credits as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Haha. I know what co-op is; I just wasn't sure if you were thinking of something else. Yeah, we have nothing like that at U of A. We have rotations, but those aren't paid. All students must spend a month in a community pharmacy at the end of first year, 2 weeks in a hospital pharmacy at the end of second year, and a whole semester of a combination of the two at the end of fourth year. Also, some pharmacies offer summer internships. I know Safeway and Shopper's do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh really? Falseeeee advertisingg!
Maybe it's just the Honours and Specialization degree programs that have it then.
Hmmmmm okayy, that doesn't sound too bad either, practice makes perfect. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
i tried to get in to res both at the u and gmac and guess what, they don't accept married couples! even if they are both students. actually the u does have 'family housing' but it is further south than the south campus. i thought the purpose of res was to live on campus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Housing (not including apartments) around campus is actually pretty decently priced. It isn't hard to find a basement suite for $600 or so a month in a nice place near campus and the LRT. I think you'd prefer that anyway, given that you're a married couple, no? Residence is going to be filled with 17/18/19 year olds.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rkmacdon rkmacdon
i'm currently at HUB in U of A and it's good, lots of freedom and it is pretty quiet. My only complaint is my roommates but i'm barely home anyways so it doesn't really matter. Make sure you sit down with your roommates and discuss cleaning and the fridge space (the freezer is pretty small and my roommates just LOVE to pack it so full that i can't put anything in it.. it makes me so angry)

As for lister 2 of my roommates switched from lister to HUB, i have heard nothing good about lister other than the good parties. From what I have heard it is always noisy and all people do is party so if you like that go for it but there is not much studying to be done there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@rkmacdon wrote
i'm currently at HUB in U of A and it's good, lots of freedom and it is pretty quiet. My only complaint is my roommates but i'm barely home anyways so it doesn't really matter. Make sure you sit down with your roommates and discuss cleaning and the fridge space (the freezer is pretty small and my roommates just LOVE to pack it so full that i can't put anything in it.. it makes me so angry)

As for lister 2 of my roommates switched from lister to HUB, i have heard nothing good about lister other than the good parties. From what I have heard it is always noisy and all people do is party so if you like that go for it but there is not much studying to be done there.

HUB isn't furnished, right? I think I read that somewhere.. that you have to provide your own furnishings and obviously do your own cooking?
Also, I read on the residence website that they generally only want upper year students living in HUB?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

HUB is nice because you're right on campus and are very close to the University LRT (subway) station, and you live above a mini-mall. What sucks, though, is that you live above a mini-mall. I don't know how people in HUB don't put on a Freshman 50. That place constantly stinks like fried food and baked cookies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0