yconic - U of Alberta Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of Alberta Engineering

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
Hey I'm interested in University of Alberta's engineering program. I just have a couple of questions because I know some studentaward users here are from U of A:

1) Where does it show Ontario admission requirements/cutoffs?
2) Does Alberta offer a strong co-op program like Waterloo?
3) Which engineering programs are the best at U of A?
4) When can Ontario Students apply?
5) What's the ethnicity like in U of A? Indians, Tamils, Italians, etc.
6) How is the campus/party life?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of nsx nsx
The requirements are going to be the same for everyone no matter what province they are from. You can find course equivalents here: http://www.admissions.ualberta.ca/en/ProgramsAndRequirements/General-Requirements/Admission-Course-Equivalents/Provincial-Equivalents.aspx#ON

You can apply anytime before the deadline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

it says a competitive average is 80%, but i'm assuming that's only for people from Alberta? What would it be for Ontario?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nsx nsx
Why would it be different :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Isn't Alberta a top engineering university? 80% seems kind of low for a university that would get a lot of applicants.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nsx nsx
If it says 80% then it's probably just 80%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
80% is the cut off, not the average I think. It is a top university. nsx is wrong, the requirements ARE different depending on what province you come from.

1) Where does it show Ontario admission requirements/cutoffs?
http://www.admissions.ualberta.ca/ProgramsAndRequirements/General-Requirements/Admission-Course-Equivalents/Provincial-Equivalents.aspx#ON

2) Does Alberta offer a strong co-op program like Waterloo?
Yes, their co-op program is very good, my friends all got great jobs.

3) Which engineering programs are the best at U of A?
They're all good. What are you interested in?

4) When can Ontario Students apply?
Now if you want

5) What's the ethnicity like in U of A? Indians, Tamils, Italians, etc.
All of the above. Lots of Indians and Asians specifically, because they're the most visible minorities. Not very many black people

6) How is the campus/party life?
A lot of fun if you know the right people. That could be said of anywhere
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks ktel, i was hoping you would answer. How are the chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineering programs? Also, where can I find more about their co-op because I was browsing their website and i didn't really see anything about co-op. Do you have any idea of how I can commute from Ontario and Alberta during holidays, etc.?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I took MecE, which was great. ChemE and EE are also great too. They're all just very different. So maybe it's a good thing you're looking at a school with a general first year so you can figure it out a bit.

There is a whole website on co-op: http://www.coop.engineering.ualberta.ca/

My boyfriend is from Ontario and he would come home for Christmas and summers and that was it (he was non co-op). Since you plan on doing co-op you don't get summers off, but you could potentially get a job in Ontario if you wanted. I know people who worked in BC, Ontario, up North, Germany, you name it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks, so how would you compare this to Waterloo? I was thinking of applying to this as my 3rd backup choice to 1) waterloo and 2) UofT
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Well, it really comes down to whether you want Alberta or Ontario. They're both really great schools. Obviously my boyfriend chose U of A over all of the Ontario schools, and is now gainfully employed in Ontario. You can't go wrong with any of those 3 choices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

he chose it over waterloo? and is there a program that U of Alberta's known for? do you know how much he spent for commuting? I mean like plane fares, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I have no idea which schools he applied to, so maybe he hadn't applied to Waterloo, who knows. U of A is well known for all the major disciplines, but in particular petroleum engineering is well known as well as nanotechnology (they have amazing facilities at NINT). There's a lot of really prominent researchers and a lot of research money at the U of A. I was reading an article recently about how a lot of the schools in Ontario are slipping in rankings and funding, and what stood out to me was the number of research chairs the U of A had recently been awarded. I wish I could find the article now, it was interesting, and specifically mentioned schools such as Queens and Waterloo can't keep up.

And a return plane trip from Edmonton to Toronto is $500-700. Up to $700 at peak times, such as Christmas, but if you get a good seat sale you can get $500 or slightly under.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yeah i was interested in petroleum engineering, but i thought that its a major in chemical? are they both in different streams, or the same program? Is petroleum engineering a bad working enviroment with the smell of fumes, or is it more of an office workplace? Btw, I think 500 is pretty cheap for plane fare, but it's still a lot of money as an expense. That's why Alberta's becoming more and more as my 3rd option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Petroleum is within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. As is mining, which is another specialized program worth mentioning. You could have a variety of jobs in petroleum, from field to office or a combination of the two. I'm pretty sure they take workplace safety pretty seriously so you wouldn't be sniffing gas or anything.

You could also go a petroleum route through Chemical Engineering. I would suggest you research the difference between the two routes.

$500 isn't bad and you're probably only going to be taking two flights a year. Factor in the fact that U of A tuition is cheaper than Ontario and the flights are paid for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what do you mean it's paid for? And is petroleum a good engineering profession in ontario as well? I know alberta is rich in resources
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I mean you easily save $2000-4000 in tuition at the U of A, compared to U of T (I don't know what Waterloo is like), and flights are $1000 so you're coming out ahead.

I really doubt you would find much petroleum work in Ontario as there's not a lot of oil there. If you go into that field you're looking at the oil-producing regions across the world (including Alberta).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of krankd krankd

I got conditional acceptance into U of A, you're in as long as you keep an 81% average. I think the most competitive programs to get into are biomedical and mechanical. You would get countless co-op/work placement positions as you're so close to oil companies. There are also many entrance scholarships offered there as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0