yconic - U of T - ROTMAN COMMERCE
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of T - ROTMAN COMMERCE

A photo of RotmanCommerce12 RotmanCommerce12
[size=7]Please pay a detailed attention towards the "Personal Statement" section below. Thanks so much.[/size]

Grade 11 Marks

Parenting: 90%
Intro. to Marketing: 85%
Travel & Tourism: 96%
Intro. to Anthropology, Sociology, Psych: 65%
Chemistry: 61%
Media Arts: 88%
Accounting: 84%
English: 90%
Functions: 65%

Grade 12 Marks

English: 95%
Advanced Functions: 91%
Business Leadership: 93%
Calculus & Vectors: 90% (Projected)
Economics: 92% (Projected)
International Business: 94% (Projected)

Extra-Curricular Activities

- DECA & Athletic Association (School Clubs/Joined in the beginning of grade 12)
- Part-time job at a retail merchandies store (The Real Canadian Superstore/Worked for 8 months so far)
- 50+ volunteer hours at 3-4 different events

Personal Statement 60 mins, 400 words (Completed)

- Noticed a couple of minor punctuation/grammar mistakes after submitting it
- Question was "How do you plan to contribute to the Rotman Commerce community?"
- Sort of answered it by saying I will continue to be involved in the ECs they offer
- Focused heavily and more on the leadership, communication, self-motivation, skills I learned from my ECs that I been a part of so far (DECA & Athletic Association)
- Mentioned learning the importance of management from my part-time job
- Basically, focused more on the skills I learned from my ECs instead of listing the things I would do to contribute to the Rotman Commerce community

I know that Schools such as Schulich & Queens focus intensely on the supplementary app just as much as they do for academics. Same case for Rotman? Will they ignore some mistakes and not fully answering the question since I showed the importance of my ECs and management? Also with my grade 12 avgs (92+) later on in the year?

[size=7]WILL I GET INTO ROTMAN COMMERCE? I will appreciate your HONEST opinions. Thank you so much![/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
nice turn-around in grade 12!

schulich -i don't think so... :S they need more ec's and also look at gr.11

rotman - looks at marks a lot, so if they don't see your gr.11 ones, i think you could get in

UTSC - better chance than rotman

Mac, Ryerson - should be good bets

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alexandra5 Alexandra5
For Rotman, Trinity College and Schulich, I'm not too sure since I didn't apply for those programs last year. But, I'm pretty sure you'll get into UTSC, McMaster and Ryerson. A couple of my friends got into McMaster and Ryerson with lower marks than yours, and I was accepted to the UTSC Co-op Management program with lower marks and fewer ECs than you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork

@Windsongs4 wrote

rotman - looks at marks a lot, so if they don't see your gr.11 ones, i think you could get in

Well your average is 92.5%
If you're not aiming for early acceptance, how does grade 11 marks matter??
I think you have a chance at all of them. (Schulich,I'm not sure)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ilikeyork wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

^ but on OUAC, they show grade 11 marks as well; schulich looks at them, even if they don't include them in your final avg.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maynards maynards
i thought only top 6 grade 12 marks matter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote

@ilikeyork wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

^ but on OUAC, they show grade 11 marks as well; schulich looks at them, even if they don't include them in your final avg.

In the first round,yes.
But after you have all your 6 grade 12 marks, grade 11 doesn't matter.
Even if they see it, it won't influence your acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do they look at the grade 11 marks even if I do not want early acceptance? Because I've already submitted the personal statement for Rotman Commerce so all I need to do is wait for their response. What if they look at the grade 11 marks now thinking I want early acceptance and ignore my application second round since the previous marks were so low?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@RotmanCommerce12 wrote
Do they look at the grade 11 marks even if I do not want early acceptance? Because I've already submitted the personal statement for Rotman Commerce so all I need to do is wait for their response. What if they look at the grade 11 marks now thinking I want early acceptance and ignore my application second round since the previous marks were so low?

i don't know... cross your fingers! :P

and to ilikeyork: maybe you're right. dunno/hopefully.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I've known people with sub-90 grade 11 marks who still got first round acceptances at most business schools. I'm pretty sure having a stellar first semester and incredible ECs/essays are way more important than grade 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kroyuni kroyuni
why are you guys questionable if he'll get into schulich? is it because of the EC's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kroyuni wrote
why are you guys questionable if he'll get into schulich? is it because of the EC's?

for me: yes

and to jelly: sub-90 marks as in 80s I get your point, but not with 60s (not to be mean/rude)

and im just saying my opinion; never said it was fact
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Why do you guys answer questions if you dont know the answer?

They only look at Grade 11 marks for early admission. The main round of offers (after second semester midterms) they won't even look at Grade 11 marks. Grade 11 marks will never hurt you, only help you. Only exception I know is Waterloo AFM where grade 11 marks count for AFMAA invites, an essential part of getting into AFM. I shud know cuz my grade 11 English wasn't good enough and I didn't get invited :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

[size=8]ADMISSION TO U OF T ROTMAN COMMERCE [/size]

- School I am desperate to go to
- My avgs and ECs seen up there ^

[size=8]Personal Statement 60 mins, 400 words (Completed)[/size]

- Noticed a couple of minor punctuation/grammar mistakes after submitting it
- Question was "How do you plan to contribute to the Rotman Commerce community?"
- Sort of answered it by saying I will continue to be involved in the ECs they offer
- Focused heavily and more on the leadership, communication, self-motivation, skills I learned from my ECs that I been a part of so far (DECA & Athletic Association)
- Mentioned learning the importance of management from my part-time job
- Basically, focused more on the skills I learned from my ECs instead of listing the things I would do to contribute to the Rotman Commerce community

I know that Schools such as Schulich & Queens focus intensely on the supplementary app just as much as they do for academics. Same case for Rotman? Will they ignore some mistakes and not fully answering the question since I showed the importance of my ECs and management? Also with my grade 12 avgs (92+) later on in the year?

WILL I GET INTO ROTMAN COMMERCE? I will appreciate your HONEST opinions. Thank you so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

92.5%average, from what I've heard, it's more than enough.
And why are you desperate for Rotman? With your marks you have a chance at every school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
Schulich does NOT look at Gr.11 marks. They don't even give out early acceptances. It starts in late March. I called them. Sad, I know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@Finance27 wrote
Schulich does NOT look at Gr.11 marks. They don't even give out early acceptances. It starts in late March. I called them. Sad, I know.

Sad? No ways!
I still have a chance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Most people say that Rotman and Schulich don't place a huge emphasis on ECs as opposed to Queen's or Ivey. If you have a high enough mark, you will get into both regardless of ECs. Rotman accepts people with mid-high 80s, so I really don't see why you wouldn't be accepted. Your average is pretty borderline for Schulich. If you had better ECs it could secure you a spot, but unfortunately you don't, so no one can really tell now. Rotman and Schulich have never been known for rejecting super-high averages because of below-average ECs. If your first choice is Rotman, I really wouldn't sweat it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@jelly wrote
Most people say that Rotman and Schulich don't place a huge emphasis on ECs as opposed to Queen's or Ivey. If you have a high enough mark, you will get into both regardless of ECs. Rotman accepts people with mid-high 80s, so I really don't see why you wouldn't be accepted. Your average is pretty borderline for Schulich. If you had better ECs it could secure you a spot, but unfortunately you don't, so no one can really tell now. Rotman and Schulich have never been known for rejecting super-high averages because of below-average ECs. If your first choice is Rotman, I really wouldn't sweat it.

I disagree with the comment on Schulich.

OP's entering average is well in the "90% and 94%" range which should be good for either schools. I don't see why Schulich would put any more emphasis on EC's than Rotman.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you guys for your answers. I hope more people can give me their inputs on whether or not if I will be accepted to Rotman Commerce or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0