yconic - U OF T vs QUEEN'S!!! help needed!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U OF T vs QUEEN'S!!! help needed!

A photo of EkkyMmals EkkyMmals
Hello everyone! :)
I am Ekky and I am going to be (hopefully) an intl student from Russia the next year in one of those universities - Queen's or U of T. I just need your help to decide where to go according to my personal situation, I really need to get some advice! :)

I want to study Political Science with International Relations, basically hoping someday to work for either political organization or world-recognized company. I've got 2 offers of admissions - from U of T I got an offer to join St.Michael's college and to live in Loretto rez, no scholarship; from Queen's I got $8000 scholarship (4+4) and I don't know where I am going to be living.

My family has money but I don't want to put a lot of pressure on them by choosing U of T, cause it's very expansive for Intl students. But I lived my whole life in Moscow (which has 12 million people) and I can say I'm a city girl, so idk if I am going to be comfortable at Queen's.

I am very social though, and love to make new friends. I like to study a lot and I like when I have competition, I like to be surrounded by smart ppl I'd say.

So please, if you had put such a long time to read this freaking huge message, please, help me out with the decision of my life :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0
38 replies

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Comrade, go to UoT, it has a better reputation and is in a large, vibrant, and wealthy city. There are more international(therefore, smart) students in UoT than in Queens, so you'd be able to make friends with a much greater variety of people. Tovarisch.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Definitely U of T from what you described; particular if you're looking for international opportunities in the future. Kingston is basically an old jail town. It's not a fun place.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EkkyMmals EkkyMmals
Thank you so much for your help! Appreciate it :)
But from what I've heard is that U of T doesn't have this welcoming environment as Queen's does, and it's easy to feel isolated at U of T... And I've heard that U of T is kind of "degree-giving conveyor", not a university where you can feel the spirit ...
What do you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jessicadonnan jessicadonnan

@EkkyMmals wrote
But from what I've heard is that U of T doesn't have this welcoming environment as Queen's does, and it's easy to feel isolated at U of T... And I've heard that U of T is kind of "degree-giving conveyor", not a university where you can feel the spirit ...
What do you think?

Queen's is a really nice and friendly school ,at U of T you might become a robot Queen's is a really smart school and its not like its in a super small town you'll be on cmpus with thousands of students and its more of a community the residences at Queen's are nice and Kingston is much safer than Toronto
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I'd also recommend Queen's. You sacrifice the urban environment, but it's more of a community. While not as well-known as U of T internationally, it does have a strong Poli Sci program. I would tour both if you're able though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@EkkyMmals wrote
What do you think?

That's definitely the perception of U of T that people have these days, but it's not necessarily true. Many people in my family went to St. Mike's for undergrad, and found it to be very spirited and an enjoyable place to live and study. The spirit school-wide at U of T doesn't match up to schools like Queen's, so in that regard there is some truth to the U of T "lack of spirit" perception.

It's my belief that the quality of your university experience will only be partially affected by your choice of insitution. The bigger factor in determining whether or not you enjoy university is how much effort you put into getting involved and whatnot. Essentially, Queen's and U of T both offer ample opportunities for a good university experience. Good luck on making your choice!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@EkkyMmals wrote
What do you think?

UofT is primarily a massive commuter school; whereas Queen's is...not. Ultimately, it depends on what you make of it. Based on your desire for an internationally recognized school, however, UofT would be a better choice. Queen's may be internationally recognized, but UofT looks a lot better internationally.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@EkkyMmals wrote
Hello everyone! :)
I am Ekky and I am going to be (hopefully) an intl student from Russia the next year in one of those universities - Queen's or U of T. I just need your help to decide where to go according to my personal situation, I really need to get some advice! :)

I want to study Political Science with International Relations, basically hoping someday to work for either political organization or world-recognized company. I've got 2 offers of admissions - from U of T I got an offer to join St.Michael's college and to live in Loretto rez, no scholarship; from Queen's I got $8000 scholarship (4+4) and I don't know where I am going to be living.

My family has money but I don't want to put a lot of pressure on them by choosing U of T, cause it's very expansive for Intl students. But I lived my whole life in Moscow (which has 12 million people) and I can say I'm a city girl, so idk if I am going to be comfortable at Queen's.

I am very social though, and love to make new friends. I like to study a lot and I like when I have competition, I like to be surrounded by smart ppl I'd say.

So please, if you had put such a long time to read this freaking huge message, please, help me out with the decision of my life :)

just to let you know in U of T, whites are minority : p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

queen's has international students from 89 countries :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Россия:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
A true Russian would write in Cyrillic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@Sanguine wrote

@Zion wrote

Perhaps so. I apologise for the fact that in this modern age I am not a Russian. 50 years ago I would have been. Apparently, not possessing a Cyrillic keyboard is the defining factor of my culture.

I figured you were typing in Slovak. I is fail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

I am Ukrainian I hardly know Russian..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

sorry i thought you were maing fun of me and my russian spelling just disregard my other post
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of YourAvgKid YourAvgKid
Uft is like all asian. (People that study 24.7 with no life and still get bad grades). This is the information people keep telling me. I live in Toronto.

But I geuss that's the reason why Uft has a better rep internationally, even though queen's already has a amazing rep.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@YourAvgKid wrote
Uft is like all asian. (People that study 24.7 with no life and still get bad grades). This is the information people keep telling me. I live in Toronto.

But I geuss that's the reason why Uft has a better rep internationally, even though queen's already has a amazing rep.

Guess ill be the only white kid at uoft :P.... For something other then maybe engineering or science id pick queens over uoft.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@GoBarca wrote

@YourAvgKid wrote

UTSG is actually a lot more diverse than you hear. I've done a count of each race randomly (to prove my friend wrong, who was also under this impression). I don't remember the numbers, but as I said, it was pretty diverse.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore

@littleroom wrote

@GoBarca wrote

@YourAvgKid wrote

UTSG is actually a lot more diverse than you hear. I've done a count of each race randomly (to prove my friend wrong, who was also under this impression). I don't remember the numbers, but as I said, it was pretty diverse.

There is diversity in UTSG but it depends on the program. The sciences are full of asians and engineering is more of the same but consists mostly of males instead. The humanities and arts are pretty diverse, mostly white people, but as a whole UTSG is pretty much a asian school. That's just the facts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I dont see why your so concerned about the "Asian" sterotype. Demographics shouldnt play a role in the university one attends. I think the issue with uoft has less to do with the demographics and more to do with the schools general outlook. They accept to many people based solely on marks rather then extracurricular activities and constantly promote the school's ranking (this is especially true of engineering). The article here explains better... http://cannon.skule.ca/articles/news/650
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@YourAvgKid wrote

some international asian kids might have no life, but many of them have KICKASSSSSS gpa ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
ekky, if you want to work in international relations, you will most likely have to travel and live in many places, so being able to adapt and deal with different environments is a key skill, one that no class room will teach you. Dont worry about Kingston being small, we have a great time at Queens and the community is great, you will have a good time here.

The decisions is up to you, i will not suggest one over another but we would be happy to have you at queens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Omok Omok
I'm curious, where have you decided?

I'm an arts (education) student from Toronto, and I am going to attend Queen's.

honestly, the largest city in Canada, Toronto, population 5 million (GTA)...compared to 13 mil in Moscow? We're still gonna feel like a small smalll smallllll cramped place to you.

Queen's arts is harder than UT arts to get in. >=D We're more selective! We pick students not only based on their academics, but we also select them based on things outside of the class room.

And c'mon, one's called QUEEN'S, and one is just called "UT".

O:

anyways!! hahahahaha, enough of my biases.

Where have you picked? =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0