yconic - U of T EngSci vs U of Waterloo EE
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of T EngSci vs U of Waterloo EE

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hello,

Recently I got offered a place at both U of T for EngSci and U of Waterloo of Electrical Engineering. Over the past years I think I have decided to go to U of T, but recently upon reading several topics some people are saying that for engineering Waterloo is more recognized. I already chose to attend U of T, but I can change it by June 6th. So, if you had a choice between these two schools which one would you pick and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of TigerBlood TigerBlood
both universities are equally recognized by employers, so prestige shouldnt be a concern

Otherwise, with waterloo you got co-op throughout uni vs. UofT's PEY which is after 3rd year, I think. EngSci is also considered hard compared to other streams like ece!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you want to do electrical engineering then go into electrical eng at UW or go into Eng Sci and switch out into ece (i think your guaranteed transfer). It really comes down to what uni you like better. Personally i picked uoft over waterloo (for a diff program) since i would rather live in toronto then waterloo: I like the city. However to each his/her own.

IMO if you have an idea of what engineering discipline you want eng sci is a waste of time (unless your extremely gifted). If you dont know what eng discipline go into eng sci and you can transfer into whatever program you want. You'll have the whole summer to consider other disciplines.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
I'm going to UofT Engineering Science because I want to pick Biomedical Engineering. Also, Engineering Science you can you Electrical Engineering in 3rd year, you don't hvae to transfer out. The stats for Eng Sci graduates are amazing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The thing is that I am not sure right now what engineering I want to do, but I am interested in pursuing an MBA at a top American business school, so I guess that is my motif behind going to U of T as I think that it will be easier to get into grad schools from there
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Skyper Skyper
Grad school checks mainly your GPA. From what i've heard, because im not actually going there, UofT is brutal for GPA, expecially EngSci. So, going at waterloo, you could probably get a better GPA. However, graduating from UofT could boost you graduate application. These are some things to pounder about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Skyper Skyper
Grad school checks mainly your GPA. From what i've heard, because im not actually going there, UofT is brutal for GPA, expecially EngSci. So, going at waterloo, you could probably get a better GPA. However, graduating from UofT could boost you graduate application. These are some things to pounder about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@amanzh wrote
The thing is that I am not sure right now what engineering I want to do, but I am interested in pursuing an MBA at a top American business school, so I guess that is my motif behind going to U of T as I think that it will be easier to get into grad schools from there

Pursuing an MBA without work experience isnt the best idea in IMO. Unlike other grad degrees in an MBA program each individual is expected to bring there own knowledge to the table from industry. If your looking at getting into a top MBA program also consider that getting a high gpa in engineering (no matter what school) is very difficult. This will only be more difficult with eng sci. Just an example...This is harvard's admissions (not sure how high ranked of a school you wanted)

Admissions Criteria

Applicants accepted: 15%
Average undergrad GPA: 3.63
Average GMAT: 713
Average work experience (years): 4.5

http://www.businessschooladmission.com/harvard-business-school/

Although it is harvard IMO i cant see other top MBA schools being much easier to get into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The stats on Engineering Science said that 50% of the people go study at graduate school such as MIT

15% go to Professional schools such as Law and Doctor and 35% enter work force

Recognized? UofT beats Waterloo, its ranked 13th in the world for Engineering. It also ranked around the 20th spot for the best university in the world. Waterloo is ranked 29th for Engineering in the world, this is because the university is not as known compared to UofT. Waterloo is not ranked in the top 50 universities of the world.

Both universities will destroy your GPA, but I am pretty sure grad schools know that your coming from one of the best engineerning universities in the world (hopefully they will consider that). Going to the states, they mainly look at your GMAT scores I think.

Recognition : Equal in Canada but outside of Canada Uoft > Waterloo
Work Experience : Waterloo beats UofT by 8 months
Employment: Very high chances you will get employed going to either university
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mig Mig
If you are interested in pursuing an MBA or working in industry otherwise waterloo trumps U ofT. The advantage of waterloo's co-op is far more than just 8 months more of work-time, it's going to be getting 6 different opportunities to test drive a career. This will give you not only 2 years of experience that will look good on your resume but also the possibility of having upto 6 different experiences, rather than having one extended work placement. Along with this co-op is a great way to figure out what industry you want to contribute to, there is going to be no real supplement to actually test driving the job like you will get to do at waterloo co-op. However if you are sure you want to pursue a research based career, than it may be advantageous to take engsci. Waterloo does have a fairly large research presence, and from what I've heard many students take advantage of this and take research positions during co-op, however i've also heard that engsci's get a good advantage when looking for research positions during summers and that these research positions are what give them an advantage when applying for technical schools. So in short if you are interested in working in industry then waterloo is a very good choice, however if you are sure you want to pursue a more research based career engsci might be a better program as it was practically built for this purpose. If you are unsure about the two my unprofessional opinion would be to choose waterloo, as I think the best experience for someone who is unsure about his/her career (like myself) is tangible exposure the field, and this is why waterloo's co-op, and it's engineering programs are a great choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Mig wrote
If you are interested in pursuing an MBA or working in industry otherwise waterloo trumps U ofT. The advantage of waterloo's co-op is far more than just 8 months more of work-time, it's going to be getting 6 different opportunities to test drive a career. This will give you not only 2 years of experience that will look good on your resume but also the possibility of having upto 6 different experiences, rather than having one extended work placement. Along with this co-op is a great way to figure out what industry you want to contribute to, there is going to be no real supplement to actually test driving the job like you will get to do at waterloo co-op. However if you are sure you want to pursue a research based career, than it may be advantageous to take engsci. Waterloo does have a fairly large research presence, and from what I've heard many students take advantage of this and take research positions during co-op, however i've also heard that engsci's get a good advantage when looking for research positions during summers and that these research positions are what give them an advantage when applying for technical schools. So in short if you are interested in working in industry then waterloo is a very good choice, however if you are sure you want to pursue a more research based career engsci might be a better program as it was practically built for this purpose. If you are unsure about the two my unprofessional opinion would be to choose waterloo, as I think the best experience for someone who is unsure about his/her career (like myself) is tangible exposure the field, and this is why waterloo's co-op, and it's engineering programs are a great choice.

He's right, my brother did Software Engineering and in his first 2 or 3 years he worked at IBM, CIBC and Sunlife Insuarance
Was this helpful? Yes 0