yconic - U of T gyms?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of T gyms?

A photo of madox madox
Hey, I will most likely be going to U of T next year for either computer science or engineering, and I was wondering what the best gym would be, either Hart House or Athletic Centre?

Some things I'm looking for:

1. Squat racks (the more the better)
2. Olympic lifting platform and bumper plates

That's it. Also, gym memberships at both places are included in my tuition right? And as an engineering or cs student, would I even have time to go to the gym 3 times a week?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I've actually never seen the Hart House gym, but I can tell you the AC can be a freaking zoo. There are only 4 squat racks and I think 4 Olympic lifting platforms. I am a girl, so I really only bother working out there during women's hour, otherwise my workout just takes way too long because I have to wait around for equipment. I have a feeling Hart House is a little better but I don't know. Yes, the memberships are included for both in your tuition.

I didn't do my undergrad at U of T, but I was a varsity athlete and an engineer at the U of A, so was either practicing or working out almost every day. You will have time if you make it a priority.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
are the squat racks and platforms always occupied, or do most people gravitate towards the dumbbells and machines?

It is one of my priorities, especially since I plan on competing soon. It goes school, gym, social life, everything else, so i guess I should have time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
They are always occupied when I'm there, except during women's hour. Because I'm not on main campus (the aerospace department is located somewhere weird) I only go downtown to work out in what are probably peak hours though.

If you do Olympic weight lifting, I'm pretty sure there's a club or a class you can get involved in and they get designated platform time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenUofT kathleenUofT

@madox wrote
Hey, I will most likely be going to U of T next year for either computer science or engineering, and I was wondering what the best gym would be, either Hart House or Athletic Centre?

Some things I'm looking for:

1. Squat racks (the more the better)
2. Olympic lifting platform and bumper plates

That's it. Also, gym memberships at both places are included in my tuition right? And as an engineering or cs student, would I even have time to go to the gym 3 times a week?

Hi there,
I’m glad to hear you’re planning on attending UofT in the fall! The Athletic Center has both a squat rack and an Olympic lifting platform. The membership is included in your tuition and you are free to use the facilities on any campus. If you haven’t done so already, I highly recommend taking a campus tour of UofT to get a feel for the kinds of equipment you will be working with.
If you are commuting from the west, I highly recommend checking out the gym at UTM (University of Toronto Mississauga, a shuttle bus runs every 20 minutes from hart house to UTM – you might even consider commuting to it since the membership is free). I use it 3 times a week, it has 4 squat racks in the main gym, and a few more in the dead-lift room (and as the name suggests, it also has a dead-lift platform and all other equipment needed to train for Olympic weigh t lifting!).
Hope that helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0