yconic - U of T or McGuill?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of T or McGuill?

A photo of hersheyhk hersheyhk
I am in grade 12 and eventually want to get into medical school and become a doctor. I have decided that I will pursue engineering as my undergrad in university as I find it interesting (engineering because I want a solid backup in case medical school does not work out). Because I want to try for med school, I was thinking of doing Electrical Engineering @ U of T St. George and doing a minor in Bio engineering, which would hopefully give me the knowledge of bio and chem needed for mcat and prerequisite courses for med school. Bio engineering and Electrical engineering both are interesting to me as well, so its not like I won't enjoy my career if med school doesn't work out. Now today, I found out that McGuill university is about to launch a new engineering major- Bioengineering. Here is the link- http://www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/choosing-your-program/faculty-engineering

It seems that it would be well suited for my needs (i.e good backup and good for medical school). So which university would be better? I heard U of T is top in Canada for engineering but I also heard they kill your gpa. Does McGuill do the same? And in terms of a good career in bioengineering, which would be better to take? Pure bioengineering at mcguill or electrical engineering w/bioengineering minor at u of t?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Rela Rela
You might want to get the name of the school right before you apply to it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I don't think they do, McGill typically has much higher admission averages compared to UTSG (who will pretty much take in anyone with the exception of some programs like engsci). So McGill doesn't take on as many students and thus doesn't need to weed out everyone as UTSG does.

Personally I would go to McGill just because Montreal is an awesome city.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of metro metro
Go for McGill! Montreal is indeed an amazing city and you will love the vibrant culture there! (Assuming you are into this type of thing)
You may end up staying in Montreal for a longer period of time...because McGill medicine is awesome! Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Galactical Galactical
im at mcgill...dont come to fking mcgill u will regret it...i m alrdy fkin suicidal

the math lecs were not uploaded for 2 weeks rofl1!!!! not to mention the calc leture is a bleep who talks as if hes in the process of getting laid or sumtin

in the bio class omg!@!@!@ 5th lec ture!!!! this retarded prof is making me hate bio.....we are being taught about plant evolution and this mofo is giving us all this info and cant teach for crap mwith his retarded indian accent!@@@@@

im so suicidal right now..i wanna smash evry fking ting

such unprofessionalism for the 17th ranked uni in the world....sad

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Galactical Galactical

@metro wrote
Go for McGill! Montreal is indeed an amazing city and you will love the vibrant culture there! (Assuming you are into this type of thing)
You may end up staying in Montreal for a longer period of time...because McGill medicine is awesome! Good luck!

fuk im at montreal..fk montreal..what the dif between it and toronto get real....why come to a uni cuz of the city which is crap anywayz
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I think it's Galactical who has problems, not McGill...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sllencer sllencer
Uhm... I don't mean to sound like...whatever it is I may sound... but I don't think you can handle eletrical engineering + a minor in bio engineering (I don't think you're allowed to minor in engineering anywaylmao). I don't know how the regulations in Quebec, but I'd check out if there are any kind of accreditation board in quebec for engineering programs. If it's a new program, I'm sure it's not yet accredited- accreditation is important.

Why not just do biomedical engineering?

I like your idea of engineering to medical schools, sounds pretty smart as an engineering degree is a professional degree. But it might just come back and bite you in the butt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sporty22 sporty22
Why don't you learn how to spell the name right and then consider McGill...
Was this helpful? Yes 0