yconic - U of T PEY
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of T PEY

A photo of wraith wraith
What percentage of people who apply for pey actually manage a to get a job?
Also is it very difficult to get a job with a low gpa?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
http://www.engineeringcareers.utoronto.ca/Assets/ECC+Digital+Assets/pdfs/PEY+Salary+Stats.pdf
Maybe you've already seen it, but I think it'll help a little? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wraith wraith
Lol yea I already saw that, but thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@wraith wrote
What percentage of people who apply for pey actually manage a to get a job?
Also is it very difficult to get a job with a low gpa?
Thanks

If your GPA is below 2.0, you cannot even apply for PEY.

Marks are not the be-all and end-all of your job application. But they matter enough to make a difference. It may seem unfair, but the typical employer is obviously more impressed by someone with a 4.0 over someone with a 2.5, even if the 2.5 guy has way more practical experience. However if the difference is a lot narrower, i.e. a 4.0 vs a 3.8, then the guy with the 4.0 doesn't have an advantage anymore. That's when they start looking at the stuff like work experience and extracurriculars, and of course your ability to conduct yourself in an interview.

A minority of U of T eng students choose PEY, so getting a job is actually not too difficult, just keep up to date on who has positions available, keep your resume up to date, etc. Getting your DREAM PEY job can be difficult, yes, especially if it's at a well known name like Microsoft or IBM. But getting a PEY job in general is pretty much guaranteed as long as you make all the right moves. You just might not be that satisfied with what you end up with.

So, study hard. Your GPA guarantees nothing, but it will still improve prospects.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wraith wraith
Thanks for the info.
Do you need a cumulitive gpa of 2.0, or a 2.0 in the year you apply
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Cumulative GPA of 2.0. But really, if you keep up to date on lecture material, study for all exams, hand in all assignments, and just be a good student, you can very easily get much higher than 2.0 in every term. Don't let the minimum requirement concern you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thePurpleEngineer thePurpleEngineer
You should realize that 2.0GPA translates to ~60%... If you have a below 2.0GPA, you get booted...

As for the job market, it all depends on the discipline.
ECE's tend to have an easier time finding a job.. and 200 out of 300 students do PEY (half of those PEY's work at AMD).

If you have 3.0GPA or above, you get the first choice.
If you are below that, well... you'll have to wait until the 3.0GPA+ guys are all hired...
Was this helpful? Yes 0