yconic - U of T science easy to get in?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of T science easy to get in?

A photo of willeh willeh
I heard that this year's admission average for UoT life sci was between 80 and 85, while UBC's average is almost 90, why would the two schools both with great reputation differ so much in admission average? Also UoT's average just looks low in general, I know that Mac's average for life sci was around 88, while Mac is a great university, I think UoT is viewed as a better school by most people, so why does such a great school have such low admission average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
Maybe it has something to do with the amount of applicants, as well as their grades, and the limitation of seating?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase
UofT can accommodate more students, and hence can accept more students with lower averages. In reality, this is a money-making scheme. It is one the most rigorous schools in Canada, but still accepts students that barely break an 80 average so they can fail them in first year.

As for why the average is so high at Mac, I suspect due to all the Health-Sci applicants who couldn't make it and instead receive an alternate offer in life science and they accept. Common misconception: acceptance averages ≠ cut-off, although it does give a good idea where you may stand. Schools publish their acceptance averages all the time, but they never divulge any information on cut-offs, ever. So, in reality, the cut-off could be in the lower 80's but due to the many students with 90+ averages who couldn't get into Health-Sci but are offered acceptance into the life science program, the acceptance average could be much higher than the program cut-off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of michaelplease michaelplease
I was always wondering about that... So the "admissions average" is the average of the grades earned by people offered acceptance? I always thought it was the cutoff since that would be more useful for admissions purposes!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
U of T is pretty hyped up. Fact is, it used to be a really good undergrad school, but now it's mostly considered as good because of the amount of dedication that the school puts into research.
If you plan on doing your postgrad or any kind of research after undergrad at u of t, then you have to work HARD, cause that's hard to get into. However, undergrad at U of T is not as prestigious as it comes off as being.
They have a very smart tactic for first year. They take pretty much everyone, (thus getting their money) and drill them so hard the first year, hoping they'll drop out. This effectively weeds out the less determined students, and leaves class sizes much smaller in second year. But greedy u of t still got their money!

U of T is ranked high because of the research they do, not because of their undergrad. Their undergrad (especially for sci) is evil and no way near as good as UBC or McMaster per say.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of metro metro

@Treemonkey wrote

They have a very smart tactic for first year. They take pretty much everyone, (thus getting their money) and drill them so hard the first year, hoping they'll drop out. This effectively weeds out the less determined students, and leaves class sizes much smaller in second year. But greedy u of t still got their money!

Well-said. That's why they have a couple of the most well-funded labs across the country.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of metro metro

@Treemonkey wrote

Well-said. That's why they have a couple of the most well-funded labs across the country.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of sllencer sllencer
You know what I don't get? People keep saying that schools take people that they intend to fail and then somehow, through some magic eqn they get money... During the "failing" student is doing schools he/she is paying and the government provides funding for that student. Then when they fail (i.e. they're on probation) , they're still going to school the school they're paying and the gov't still subsidize that student. Now if they get kicked out, they don't pay ... the school doesn't receive money from the student OR the gov't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0