yconic - U of T students have no life?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of T students have no life?

A photo of kd28 kd28
I heard from many people that after you begin your program at U of T you basically have no life from all the workload. I was told by a friend that their sibling( in the science program )quit their job and now all they do is eat sleep and study and they used party alot.
Is this true with the commerce program as well??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of DeanVermillion DeanVermillion
Even if your friend is right, which I am not so sure about, university education is an investment that benefits you for life. Think of it this way ---> no life for 4 or 5 years = have a comfortable and enjoyable life for the rest of your life. However this does not apply to everybody.

The above is just my thought lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of icey icey
I really don't think that's true. People tend to exaggerate more and more each time these stories are told -- leading to these crazy rumours being circulated about UofT. I'm at UofT in a physics/English double major and I've done many, many things during my time at UofT. In first year, I sang in a choir. In 2nd year, I got a job at UofT as a student blogger, joined choir again, and volunteered for a campus group (the LGBT student society on campus). In 3rd year I joined a dragonboat team, and volunteered for the Sex Ed Centre. I'm in 4th year now and I'm an executive for the Sex Ed Centre. I also still have time to browse forums like studentawards and Reddit on my free time (I've been on forums basically all my life :cheers:), so clearly I still have free time.

I also still find time to hang out with friends (from UofT as well as from other Universities) and party occasionally, and met my best friend on campus. So, a lot of the "life" I have actually comes from UofT.

So, I really, really think those things you've heard of UofT students having no life are just rumours, and I hope you take them with a (huge) grain of salt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul
According to what I've heard from friends, this is completely true:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=university%20of%20toronto

"
The University of Toronto (U of T) is a large research oriented school located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

U of T prides itself on being the most academically intensive school in the country and, generally speaking, they are correct. Unfortunately, everything else about the university sucks.

Despite what U of T students and faculty may tell you, it is NOT the "Harvard of the North," that distinction goes to Mcgill. (sorry Queen's)

The admissions averages are lower than that of "easier" schools such as UWO, Queen's, and Mcgill because no one wants to go there. There is no student community, and no social scene. The student body is VERY unattractive, and most are virgins when they graduate.

Speaking of graduates, the ones U of T produces are pathetic: they have zero real world skills, and despite their "VASTLY SUPERIOR EDUCATION!!!!!," are unable to find jobs; that is until some enterprising Waterloo alum realizes that U of T graduates make excellent code monkeys if kept locked in a back room and fed a steady diet of study drugs and U of T alumni newsletters.

If you want to become a businessman, go to Western. If you want to become a doctor, go to Mcgill. If you want to become a lawyer, go to Queen's. If you want to become an insecure, friendless, virgin loser, who will forever cling to the security blanket known as "prestige," go to the University of Toronto; if that's your goal, there truly is no better school anywhere in Canada or the world."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
^ I was gna post that too LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
But note that U of T has an awesome graduate program; hence its high world ranking. They just dont fund enough money to care for their undergraduate programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You can have a life in university and do well, regardless of your program (even EngSci kids).

On average, some degrees are easier than others. On average, some universities are harder than others. UfT students who manage their time have plenty of time to "have a life". There are just students who do not know how to use their time efficiently so they waste a lot of time doing meaningless tasks which result in them not "having a life".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
If you really think urban dictionary is a reliable source of information, you should reconsider going to university at all LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Hmmm I just spent a bunch of time with my U of T rugby team, most of whom are undergrads, and they definitely all have lives. Although I do notice that they tend to study more than my U of A team.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johneidude johneidude

@greatwallpaul wrote
According to what I've heard from friends, this is completely true:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=university%20of%20toronto

"
The University of Toronto (U of T) is a large research oriented school located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

U of T prides itself on being the most academically intensive school in the country and, generally speaking, they are correct. Unfortunately, everything else about the university sucks.

Despite what U of T students and faculty may tell you, it is NOT the "Harvard of the North," that distinction goes to Mcgill. (sorry Queen's)

The admissions averages are lower than that of "easier" schools such as UWO, Queen's, and Mcgill because no one wants to go there. There is no student community, and no social scene. The student body is VERY unattractive, and most are virgins when they graduate.

Speaking of graduates, the ones U of T produces are pathetic: they have zero real world skills, and despite their "VASTLY SUPERIOR EDUCATION!!!!!," are unable to find jobs; that is until some enterprising Waterloo alum realizes that U of T graduates make excellent code monkeys if kept locked in a back room and fed a steady diet of study drugs and U of T alumni newsletters.

If you want to become a businessman, go to Western. If you want to become a doctor, go to Mcgill. If you want to become a lawyer, go to Queen's. If you want to become an insecure, friendless, virgin loser, who will forever cling to the security blanket known as "prestige," go to the University of Toronto; if that's your goal, there truly is no better school anywhere in Canada or the world."

Sounds to me like this post was made by students who did not manage to get into UofT (I am not a UofT students). Other than McGill (which is an excellent school), overall both Queens and Western are very average. They do not, in any way, compare to the quality of UofT in their quality, prestige, or international recognition. Granted Queen Commerce is good, but other than that it is an average school (has a great social environment though, and those I know who go there love it). Insecure and socially incapable nerds come out of every school out there, because each school has the people who just study all the time, get good grades, but have no social life or EC's and are socially awkward.

Anyway as for your UofT question, it is the hardest school in Canada (to my knowledge) but not to the extent they make it out to be. Hell we Uni students tend to over exaggerate things. You will still have time for friends, partying, sleeping, and doing EC's. It does depend on the major though, engineering students do have it rough, but others (like arts students) have it very easy, in terms of the amount of work they have, and how easy it is to do well (for example Econ courses, art students complain about them, even though they are relatively easy). But, you certainly will be doing more work than if you go to say Mac, Ryerson, Queens or whatever, because UofT certainly is the more rigorous school, but that is why it does better (in terms of work placement, international reputation, rankings, etc) than the rest of the schools in Ontario.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite
Lol of course they don't...thousands of students in the program and not one of them has their own Q&A thread. Too busy studying to talk to us.
Lol i kid, i kid...(but seriously, why aren't they on this forum like all these schulich, ivey, queens, waterloo etc. students?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

@erudite wrote
Lol of course they don't...thousands of students in the program and not one of them has their own Q&A thread. Too busy studying to talk to us.
Lol i kid, i kid...(but seriously, why aren't they on this forum like all these schulich, ivey, queens, waterloo etc. students?)

good question.....!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of donaldbelfon donaldbelfon
There is no program at the University of Toronto that necessitates your entire life to stop, and for you to devote all of your time to studying. Although some people study more then others, it really is a test of your learning strategies, and studying habits as to how well you plan your time. It is completely feasible to maintain an excellent average as well as a healthy social life.
Simple things like doing your readings on schedule, and attending class on a regular basis make studying infinitesimally easier.
Although UofT is more rigorous in its instruction that a lot of other schools in Canada, it is in no means attempting to steal your life away. Think about it logically, if all people ever did was study and had no time for anything else, UofT would not be home to the incredible diverse clubs communities that rivals some of the best schools in the world. There is plenty of time for extra-curriculars at UofT, you just need to balance your time wisely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork

@donaldbelfon wrote
There is no program at the University of Toronto that necessitates your entire life to stop, and for you to devote all of your time to studying. Although some people study more then others, it really is a test of your learning strategies, and studying habits as to how well you plan your time. It is completely feasible to maintain an excellent average as well as a healthy social life.
Simple things like doing your readings on schedule, and attending class on a regular basis make studying infinitesimally easier.
Although UofT is more rigorous in its instruction that a lot of other schools in Canada, it is in no means attempting to steal your life away. Think about it logically, if all people ever did was study and had no time for anything else, UofT would not be home to the incredible diverse clubs communities that rivals some of the best schools in the world. There is plenty of time for extra-curriculars at UofT, you just need to balance your time wisely.

With EngSci being an exception.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RSanDiego RSanDiego
I have been saying this to every forum title before, but I'll say it again. It is up to the student to take advantage of what every school offers, or the student will ALWAYS end up saying, "This school has no life." As an undergrad at UofT, I can safely say that UofT has student life, you just have to pay attention when something happens. I am an active player of ping pong at the gym, been part of a blogger team on campus, and play video games at the VGA club whenever they set up. It really depends id the student looks for the student life, then he/she will achieve it. And what I always say, "It's your money, your education, take advantage of the resources, before you know it, you will be graduating."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MartyMcFly MartyMcFly
I am in my last year of my Undergrad degree at UofT, and I've had a great social life. I'm actually completing a double-degree in an intense program. My CGPA is still good and I have worked a part-time job every year. I still go home and visit friends at different universities, go to parties, and have time for all kinds of socializing.

Sure, there are times of the year that are busier than others when socializing becomes less often, like right at the end of term, for example, when I will be in essay-writing mode. Others, who may have more exams rather than final essays, will be busier in April.

It is really about the student and what they want to get out of their school. YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT. If you don't reach out to people in your classes, clubs, teams, at work, in the library, cafe, or wherever, then it's hard to expect a wealth of friends to show up at your doorstep. I met my best friend on the bus during Orientation Week just by asking him a silly question. Now we're roommates and have been best friends for 4 years.

With my last semester around the corner, I'm feeling nostalgic about all the people that I've met and all the great, ridiculous and hilarious experiences I've had here. It's too bad that the student you mentioned earlier is having trouble socializing, but that doesn't mean you will.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94

@MartyMcFly wrote
I am in my last year of my Undergrad degree at UofT, and I've had a great social life. I'm actually completing a double-degree in an intense program. My CGPA is still good and I have worked a part-time job every year. I still go home and visit friends at different universities, go to parties, and have time for all kinds of socializing.

Sure, there are times of the year that are busier than others when socializing becomes less often, like right at the end of term, for example, when I will be in essay-writing mode. Others, who may have more exams rather than final essays, will be busier in April.

It is really about the student and what they want to get out of their school. YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT. If you don't reach out to people in your classes, clubs, teams, at work, in the library, cafe, or wherever, then it's hard to expect a wealth of friends to show up at your doorstep. I met my best friend on the bus during Orientation Week just by asking him a silly question. Now we're roommates and have been best friends for 4 years.

With my last semester around the corner, I'm feeling nostalgic about all the people that I've met and all the great, ridiculous and hilarious experiences I've had here. It's too bad that the student you mentioned earlier is having trouble socializing, but that doesn't mean you will.

+1 to Marty, couldn't agree more. I find it odd that some people blame a university environment for their own lack of being out going.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of UofTStudent UofTStudent
I am a third year student at U of T and can honestly say that, since becoming a student at the university, my life has become increasingly enriched year by year. With the wealth of extra-curricular options available to me on campus and with the amazing city of Toronto surrounding the campus, there have been endless options for exploration both within and outside of the university. I have consistently played on teams for 4 separate intramural sports since the beginning of my first year, and continue to do so now, expanding my horizons even further with captaining 2 of these teams this year. Furthermore, I've participated on a series of committees at my college in various roles with a focus on working with finances, worked on Frosh Week for the past 2 years, and have met so many amazing people, many of whom have become some of my closest friends. We party and hang out when we're not bogged down with exams (and a lot of the time, even when we are!), and get down to work when midterms and finals come around, but that's the way it goes at any university. Getting a degree at any post-secondary institution is a lot of work; in many ways your academics become your full-time job (but let's face it, that's basically what high school was anyway). Education is important, but so are all the other things that come along with a university experience; U of T has provided me with the opportunity to not only maximize my educational opportunities but also to do the same in many other aspects of my life, and I have taken advantage of these diverse options, learning a lot in the process.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I can't say anything about the commerce program because I'm not a commerce student. My own experience in a Social Sciences and Humanities program at UofT is much different. I get lots of time to relax and hang out with friends and hold down a part-time job. Keeping your school work and social life balanced is a big part of university. It's definitely possible to do well in any program at UofT and have a social life. I really don't think the program effects how much relaxation time you get or time to socialize. If you manage your time well, you can definitely have both.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MattUK MattUK

@erudite wrote

I'm going to shamelessly advertise my services here. I've had a rather lucrative Q&A thread going for some time now.
http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=10444

And U of T is tough, but if you have to lock yourself away for good in order to get good grades, perhaps you should seek undergraduate education elsewhere.

It's tough, but not that tough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenUofT kathleenUofT

@kd28 wrote
I heard from many people that after you begin your program at U of T you basically have no life from all the workload. I was told by a friend that their sibling( in the science program )quit their job and now all they do is eat sleep and study and they used party alot.
Is this true with the commerce program as well??

Hey,
I’m a third year student studying at the University of Toronto, I thought I’d give a bit of perspective on this question. I don’t feel like this is particularly true. I feel like UofT really takes a lot of heat in this regard and to be honest with you, no university is easy ! Every program and school has a challenging and demanding workload, and I think that is completely fair of them to ask this of their students since they are trying to prepare you to be leaders of the future. You’ll definitely have time to party, hangout with friends, date, do anything you want. You just have to manage your time. UofT is a great school with unparalleled opportunities to make career connections. Set aside time for school work and time for fun. Once you find this balance your set! I’ve had time to work, take a full course load, party, workout and maintain good grades. Getting organized is key to having a great time in University.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Luiisa Luiisa
I'm a second year at UofT and I don't find that's the case at all. It's university, so obviously the course load will be big, but I find it to be manageable. I have two jobs and I'm really involved on campus. I'm in humanities, but the I have friends in life sci and they seem to be able to mange good marks and an active social life. There's also so many opportunities to socialize such as pub nights, movie screenings, dances, socials, and clubs for every hobby!
Was this helpful? Yes 0