yconic - U0fT FLC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U0fT FLC

A photo of zegirl zegirl
Could someone please explain to me what the UofT's FLC program is in detail?
Also, if I join, can I pick a few electives or are my courses all pre-determined? What are the pros and cons of joining FLC?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Have you taken a look at this link yet?

[url]http://flc.utoronto.ca/what-is-flc/[/url]

As I am given to understand it, FLC is sort of analogous to the Vic, Trin and UC One programs, in the sense that it offers first-year students a smaller community, based on their area of study, in which they can learn effective academic strategies (except for formal academic tutoring. By participating, you'll gain access to an upper-year student who can help you by sharing his/her experiences and learning strategies. I think they also arrange trips and activities for FLC participants to have fun and socialize with each other.

Cons might include restrictions on your schedule, since you'll be locked into the FLC schedule, which might be a hindrance if you have extra-curricular activities and/or a part-time job(s). There should be a contact link somewhere if you have further questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
The big turn off for me was that they pick the times of ur bio, chem and math class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@esin wrote
The big turn off for me was that they pick the times of ur bio, chem and math class.

For me it was CHM139/138 at 9 am. If the FLC is geared toward commuting students, then WHY is there a class at 9 in the morning? You'd have to battle rush hour just to get to class in time. This does not make sense to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ArchEnemy ArchEnemy
Don't let the lecture timings/slots be your biggest worry.

For CHM138/139, you DO NOT have to attend the lectures at 9am. You can always go to the ones at 12pm if that's more convenient for you. Content covered is exactly the same since it's the same professor. I once had to attend the 9am lecture due to some commitments, and it was in the middle of the term where the 2 lectures are most likely to drift apart, but it did not. So you can be assured of that.

For MAT135, if you are eyeing Lam's lecture, you DO NOT have to sign up for his lecture to go for them. Many people who aren't officially in his class, attend it anyways.

Make your decision based on something more than just lecture timings, such as:

Are you someone that studies better in a group?
Are you a shy person but can open up to others once you get to know them better? The list goes on but I'm sure you get my drift.

FLC does a really good ice-breaking job that's for sure. You'll have professors "monitoring" your progress occasionally too, which is definitely a plus point.

Hope this helps. Best of luck and enjoy summer while you still can ^_^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
I think im going to hate people that go to the lecture that they're not supposed to. I've heard Lam's section is so crowded that some people sit on the ground. wtf... u should've signed up for his lecture. if u didn't dont make getting a seat impossible for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@esin wrote
I think im going to hate people that go to the lecture that they're not supposed to. I've heard Lam's section is so crowded that some people sit on the ground. wtf... u should've signed up for his lecture. if u didn't dont make getting a seat impossible for me.

You'll stop being so uptight after a few months. You get what you can in university, and what you can't get...you still take.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ArchEnemy ArchEnemy

@esin wrote

Don't hate that's the way life is. The early bird catches the worm. I know there used to be a girl in my class who would come by every morning at 8-9am to reserve seats in the front row with a couple of files even when classes start at 10am. That's just the tip of the iceberg of university life. Wait till you see how people start to hide library books just so you can't gain access to it. Immoral, but true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
That's bs...
Was this helpful? Yes 0