yconic - UBC / SFU / McGill / Waterloo / Queens
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC / SFU / McGill / Waterloo / Queens

A photo of shreshth94 shreshth94
Hi,

I'm currently living in Vancouver and I am interested in business. I've applied to SFU, UBC, and Mcgill. I've completed and submitted my supplementary application for UBC, and working on SFU at the moment. I was wondering, do business students get early admission offers or conditional acceptance from either of these universities? My average is about 93% and I have fairly strong work-experience/community/leadership.

Also, I have submitted an Application to McGill, but I could not find out whether there is a supplementary form for McGill or the documents they require. I've spent hours on the phone with McGill but could not get a proper answer due to some bizarre reason. It says they'll receive my marks electronically, but is the admission based purely on marks at McGill?

Moreover, does attending a university in Ontario (near Toronto), such as McGill, Queens, or Waterloo, increase the number of opportunities available to an individual with a Business degree (BBA) ?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork
I don't know why u would apply to McGill, the business program itself is not that good actually.(with those marks u can get into mcgill for sure,donno about the others)
If u want to apply to Ontario business schools, i would recommend Western(Ivey),Queens,York(Schulich)
or Waterloo(AFM etc.), these are some of the best in Canada.

"Moreover, does attending a university in Ontario (near Toronto), such as McGill, Queens, or Waterloo, increase the number of opportunities available to an individual with a Business degree (BBA) ?"

i dont think its about the location, its the school that counts
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the reply. I'll begin applying to Waterloo right away because I've heard their business courses are pretty good. Do commerce students receive conditional acceptance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Out of province students usually receive admission prior to the students within the province. However, certain universities such as Western and Queen's have deadlines posted so you can see when they will be sending out admissions. Or just email them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@shreshth94 wrote
Thanks for the reply. I'll begin applying to Waterloo right away because I've heard their business courses are pretty good. Do commerce students receive conditional acceptance?

Waterloo doesn't have any business programs really. There's AFM and the other accounting programs, the Double Degree programs with Laurier (all the business stuff is at Laurier), and Arts/Business or Science/Business.

Also, McGill's business program is quite good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm guessing it all just depends on one's opinion, because ilikeyork just said McGill's business isn't that great. Has anyone finished their supplementary yet with regards to SFU or UBC?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kirenne Kirenne
If you're looking to apply for AFM at Waterloo, that's a different story, but...

Arts & Business / Science & Business?

Not very good programs, in my opinion. I was in Arts & Bus for a year and a half and trust me it's not going to get to as good a job as say... a Laurier or Western business program. You won't graduate with a BBA, either. The only perks to these programs are the co-op options, but if you're seriously considering business, go with a BBA program, not one at Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Location doesn't really matter. Your school will have employment/internship in other cities from wherever it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
There's no early acceptance to UBC, for ontario students its around March/APril, i would assume it'll be earlier for bc students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Theres no supplementary for mcgill, its all marks. Last year the minimum was 92 so you should be fine
Ilikeyork, what makes you think mcgill isnt that great? Its just opinions so i cant really prove you wrong, but imo if finance is what youre aiming for, mcgill is almost up there with ivey and queens, but slightly bigger internationally. its not bad for accounting either, but id guess waterloo and schulich would give you better opporunities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@lemony wrote
Location doesn't really matter. Your school will have employment/internship in other cities from wherever it is.

Usually universities have better relations with companies in the area. Waterloo Fire Department made it mandatory for applicants to have taken a fire program at Conestoga College, the local college. Some companies hire exclusively from area schools. For accounting, Waterloo has good relations with firms in K-W, and Brock has good relations with firms in the Golden Horeshoe (they also have recruitment from firms in Toronto and other areas). If you want a job in London, it will probably be easier to get one from Western/Ivey than Queen's, even though both schools are quite similar in quality.

@iliketurtles wrote
Theres no supplementary for mcgill, its all marks. Last year the minimum was 92 so you should be fine
Ilikeyork, what makes you think mcgill isnt that great? Its just opinions so i cant really prove you wrong, but imo if finance is what youre aiming for, mcgill is almost up there with ivey and queens, but slightly bigger internationally. its not bad for accounting either, but id guess waterloo and schulich would give you better opporunities.

McGill supposedly has a great reputation with US firms. It's a good school.

McGill gets recruited by Quebec accounting firms, not Ontario ones. The GTA offices of the Big 4 will recruit at Waterloo and Schulich and such, whereas the Montreal offices will recruit at McGill. The English-speaking jobs in Quebec go mostly to McGill and Concordia students I'm told.

If you want to work in Ontario, apply to Waterloo/Schulich/etc. You won't have to worry about going through the Quebec Institute's system or working in Quebec.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@shreshth94 wrote

Moreover, does attending a university in Ontario (near Toronto), such as McGill, Queens, or Waterloo, increase the number of opportunities available to an individual with a Business degree (BBA) ?

In what sense? If you want to work in Toronto then yes definitely. Waterloo/Queen's/Ivey have a really good rep (even better than UofT for business).

I think the opportunities you will get at Queen's, Ivey, Waterloo and UBC are unparalleled .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@g93 wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

McGill supposedly has a great reputation with US firms. It's a good school.

McGill gets recruited by Quebec accounting firms, not Ontario ones. The GTA offices of the Big 4 will recruit at Waterloo and Schulich and such, whereas the Montreal offices will recruit at McGill. The English-speaking jobs in Quebec go mostly to McGill and Concordia students I'm told.

If you want to work in Ontario, apply to Waterloo/Schulich/etc. You won't have to worry about going through the Quebec Institute's system or working in Quebec.

I heard McGill and Ivey are pretty much the only school that place a decent number of grads on Wall Street for IB, with Queen's trailing a little behind. But at the same time, Ivey and Queen's more or less dominate Bay Street or so I've heard, so McGill lacks a little in that area.
Personally I'm hoping to have to choose between Ivey and McGill, but I'll probably have to wait 'till May to know if I even have either of those choices haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sabrinachiu sabrinachiu

I'm guessing it all just depends on one's opinion, because ilikeyork just said McGill's business isn't that great. Has anyone finished their supplementary yet with regards to SFU or UBC?

I'm from Vancouver and I might be going into business too. I haven't finished my supplementary yet. I'm pretty sure you'll get accepted into both with your grades.I heard UBC is better for networking, and if you go into business, you'll need to have networks. But then I also heard that SFU has a good co-op program. I'm not sure if I should go into business or arts/humanities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@g93 wrote

@shreshth94 wrote

Waterloo doesn't have any business programs really. There's AFM and the other accounting programs, the Double Degree programs with Laurier (all the business stuff is at Laurier), and Arts/Business or Science/Business.

It's strange that you say 'loo doesn't have any business programs. Because their co-op opportunities for business is about 25 times better than Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@CMA2014 wrote

@g93 wrote

@shreshth94 wrote

It's strange that you say 'loo doesn't have any business programs. Because their co-op opportunities for business is about 25 times better than Laurier.

Waterloo does not have a business program. They have programs that are highly specialized in certain functional areas of business (AFM and other accounting programs, Math/FARM) and it has an arts degree that you can take some business courses with.

The Waterloo/Laurier DD programs have ALL of the business courses at Laurier. All of the math/cs is at Waterloo.

The vast majority of business co-op jobs for the DD students are through Laurier. The more technical or math-y jobs (however you want to classify them) are through Waterloo.

Perhaps you should know what you are talking about before responding with such authority.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the replies guys. I wish acceptances came already, it's so hard to wait :( and sabrina, thanks for having some faith hahah i really wish i get into UBC and SFU, McGill would just be a dream lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0