yconic - UBC Admission Term 2 Only?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Admission Term 2 Only?

A photo of FuckingAllstar FuckingAllstar
Hi I'm from a non-semestered school and I plan to apply for UBC Science this year, but I heard that when you self-report (which opens in March) you only report your term 2 marks. So does that mean UBC only looks at your term 2 marks and not your term 1 marks? I know people get accepted early in April and May, but I always thought it was based on the average of Term 1 and Term 2. So does that mean there isn't really a point of trying in term 1?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
That doesn't make any sense. Is your school semestered or full year? If it's semestered, you'll presumably be taking some university prereqs in term 1, so you will want to report those. If it's full year, your term 2 marks will include your term 1 marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
That doesn't make any sense. Is your school semestered or full year? If it's semestered, you'll presumably be taking some university prereqs in term 1, so you will want to report those. If it's full year, your term 2 marks will include your term 1 marks.

My school is full year. But when self-reporting opens in March, they tell you to report your most recent marks or something like that which are your term 2 marks aren't they? Or do they have spaces for you to put both your term 1 AND 2 marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It would be your term 2 marks then, but if your school is full year, then your term 2 mark should be indicative of all the work you've done to date, so would include term 1.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
It would be your term 2 marks then, but if your school is full year, then your term 2 mark should be indicative of all the work you've done to date, so would include term 1.

Well my school is full year, but every term is like a fresh start. Like if we get 90% in term 1 in term 2 we start off clean so the marks are actually separate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
So you take the same course for 10 months, but you get two separate marks for one course? That doesn't make any sense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
So you take the same course for 10 months, but you get two separate marks for one course? That doesn't make any sense.

No we don't get 2 separate marks. Each term you get a mark and in the end the average of 3 terms is your final mark. What you get in term 1 doesn't affect what you get in term 2 and what you get in term 2 doesn't affect what you get in term 3, but in the end the marks for each term are added up and averaged for a final mark. Since I'm self-reporting in March based on my Term 2 report card, wouldn't I be putting my term 2 marks in rather than term 1?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I would contact UBC and ask, but I would assume they would want your cumulative mark to date, which would be the average of term 1 and term 2.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I went to a linear school and we have 3 terms, but acceptances come out during the end of second term, beginning of third.. so they always took our second term marks. That's not to say that they don't look at your marks at the END of the year, because they do, although the marks aren't as important then considering you only need to keep a 67% average at the end to still hold your spot.
For a semestered school, I think they take the marks of the courses that you've already completed in your first semester.. but I can't quite remember as it feels like applying was forever and a day ago. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0