yconic - UBC Admissions - online classes
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Admissions - online classes

A photo of QQRain QQRain
I'm planning on applying to ubc science next year and right now I'm at a 89% average in math 12 and 91.7% average in bio 12. As they are both rather low and are touching in range of the science cutoff I was planning on retaking both classes in the summer online. I'm not worried about the online course itself, but I'm worried if UBC will penalize me if they see that I (could potentially) be using 3 online course marks (Math/Bio/Phys/Chem 12 online). Law/history/spanish/english 12 at school.

I believe I have a very good supplemental app for the science program, volunteering at many different places mostly health/science related. And I've also participated in 3 widely known extra-curricular science competitions.

soooo I guess my question is, should I retake math and bio as I am expecting a mark as low as 75% in english next year? (in a mini school and imo my teachers mark english really hard -_- & the co-ordinator doesn't let us mini school students take english online)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@QQRain wrote
I'm planning on applying to ubc science next year and right now I'm at a 89% average in math 12 and 91.7% average in bio 12. As they are both rather low and are touching in range of the science cutoff I was planning on retaking both classes in the summer online. I'm not worried about the online course itself, but I'm worried if UBC will penalize me if they see that I (could potentially) be using 3 online course marks (Math/Bio/Phys/Chem 12 online). Law/history/spanish/english 12 at school.

I believe I have a very good supplemental app for the science program, volunteering at many different places mostly health/science related. And I've also participated in 3 widely known extra-curricular science competitions.

soooo I guess my question is, should I retake math and bio as I am expecting a mark as low as 75% in english next year? (in a mini school and imo my teachers mark english really hard -_- & the co-ordinator doesn't let us mini school students take english online)

Well it's just your Top 4.. Including English, Math, one science..
and your next highest provincially examinable courses.. which all of yours are.
It could be one of the in class courses that comes out to be highest.. so you could end up with 2 online and 2 in class.
Which is fine, that's my case right now.
But I don't think they would penalize for online courses, UBC isn't like the universities out east who do that.

P.S. Mini school for the win, I'm in mini too ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Also -
If you English mark is really going to be that low, I would retake them.
If you end up doing even worst in your online courses, UBC takes the higher of the 2 attempts anyways, so you don't lose anything if you retake it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0