yconic - UBC Anyone?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Anyone?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So I just received my acceptance to UBC arts for the fall semester. I'm super excited! I haven't accepted the offer yet, still waiting on a couple other schools to make my final decision but I'm definitely leaning towards UBC. Anyone else going to UBC for the Fall 2011 term? Aaaaand if so, what programs are you going into?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
48 replies

A photo of supberb921 supberb921
Mind telling us your marks avg?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Are you from BC as well, or out of province?
So lucky..
I want my UBC acceptance, but us BC kids have to wait till LAST..
which makes no sense to me.. you'd think the University of British Columbia would take British Columbians first, but what can I do other than wait... -.-
Anywaysss...
If I get accepted into UBC, I think my parents want me to stay here, although I want to leave..
but hopefully I make it in, just to boost my pride up a little.
I applied for general science.. hopefully pharmacy in my third year.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug
I applied for engineering school at UBC
Still have to wait for another 3 weeks tho - -*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm from Alberta and I graduated in 2010, so I've already got all my final marks, that may have had something to do with getting accepted so soon. I was quite worried about getting in since my average is pretty low (I was a bit of a slacker in HS haha), but I've got lots of extracurriculars and volunteer experience and I think I wrote a decent supplemental application. I also speak fluent German and I've got my high school French. I'm hoping to major in International Relations. My marks average is 86%. I'll list my individual course marks too, since I know I was seriously searching these boards for any info at all before I got in.

ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS 30-1: 91
SOCIAL STUDIES 30: 87
PURE MATH 30: 81
BIOLOGY 30: 87
FRENCH 30: 84

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Those aren't slacker marks!
Haha, they're pretty impressive.
I checked my portal thing today and the Status part went black so hopefully that means I'll hear from them soon.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lisacom Lisacom
YAY! Fellow engineer student! This is quite awesome I must say! and I am from Alberta as well! See y'all at UBC next year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of victoriachiu victoriachiu
Cool! Engineer!! I'm international student and Permanent President. I am admitted to Faculty of Art and Science Psychology Program ! I hope to see all of you next year! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Measys Measys
I've been accepted to Science at UBC :). I'd love to live in Vancouver, but I'm kind of leaning towards U of T right now because their math program is a lot better :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@Measys wrote
I've been accepted to Science at UBC :). I'd love to live in Vancouver, but I'm kind of leaning towards U of T right now because their math program is a lot better :/

Do u mind telling us ur average? :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adrianfkh adrianfkh
Got accepted into UBC sauder school of business just couple days ago..
my average was 90.5% just in case some of you guys are wondering..
I'm from local vancouver btw :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of electricfeel electricfeel
I was accepted to UBC science a few weeks ago. It's my number one choice, I just need to accept my offer! I'm from Ontario and my average was 92.5% if that helps.

Also, does anyone happen to know what the cutoff was for the President's Entrance Scholarships? I was hoping to get one since in previous years I heard they gave them to everyone with an average of 85 or greater.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@electricfeel wrote
I was accepted to UBC science a few weeks ago. It's my number one choice, I just need to accept my offer! I'm from Ontario and my average was 92.5% if that helps.

Also, does anyone happen to know what the cutoff was for the President's Entrance Scholarships? I was hoping to get one since in previous years I heard they gave them to everyone with an average of 85 or greater.

Congratssss..
Definitely jealous.. I want my acceptance!
So unfair how they give them out to out of province students first. :(
And yeah - I think as long as you have an A average (86), you'll get some kind of entrance scholarship of at least 1k.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greenmint greenmint
Hi there

Can anyone tell me why Engineering students are accepted so late? I a m just asking for my friend who has applied for UBC Engi because she reported her marks (All her marks are above 95, except English which is 89) and still hasn't been accepted.

I got accepted into Sciences around 24-25 of March and I am from North Coast constituency (In BC) like a day after I self reported.

Though I am not really sure what grades they used to calculate my average, these are the grades that were self reported

Eng 88
Chem 92
Bio 95
Math 96
Still have Mandarin 12 and Phys, but I don't think they'll really care anymore!!!

Also, did anyone else apply for Major Entrance, or Entrance Awards?

@cyynthiia wrote

@electricfeel wrote

Congratssss..
And yeah - I think as long as you have an A average (86), you'll get some kind of entrance scholarship of at least 1k.

IT IS unfair!!! Btw Cynthia did you self report yet? And did you apply for Sciences for your first choice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chris1993 chris1993
I've seen quite a few people have already been accepted into UBC sciences for the 2011/2012 year. I am getting worried that my 91.5% average won't be enough because rumor has it you need a minimum of 92%. (Unfortunately, I don't believe they round up D:) Any comments on this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@chris1993 wrote
I've seen quite a few people have already been accepted into UBC sciences for the 2011/2012 year. I am getting worried that my 91.5% average won't be enough because rumor has it you need a minimum of 92%. (Unfortunately, I don't believe they round up D:) Any comments on this?

No they dont round up :(
But i dont think the cutoff is going to be 92% though.
Ive heard people with 89% got into science already.
But i could be wrong. Either way i think ur mark is at a decent level. You have a high chance to get in :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greenmint wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

@electricfeel wrote

Congratssss..

IT IS unfair!!! Btw Cynthia did you self report yet? And did you apply for Sciences for your first choice?

Yeah, I did self report about half a week ago.
I guess it takes time to process.
My status went blank though.. been that way for about 3-4 days now.. so maybe that will bring some good news.
And yes, my first choice is Science.. my second choice is also Science.. but in Nutrition.. I really have no other choice.. nothing else interests me.
My average isn't that high though.. it's sitting at about a 91.5 right now.. wish they'd just round it up to a 92 =[

Btw - Most schools, not just UBC, give out Engineering acceptances pretty late, too..
So you're not the only one waiting. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have to respectfully disagree on that one. In fact, I think engineering decisions are out perhaps the earliest? I got accepted to u of a engineering in October and ubc engineering in mid march. And my grades are not even that stellar. So I think your friend will get in in no time!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
U of A gives out acceptances SUPER early, they are an exception.
I got my U of A acceptance in early October as well.
If you're from Ont, you'll get an acceptance earlier than anyone because of OUAC.. so maybe that explains why you got in mid-March..
But I have heard of some schools that give out a few early acceptances around mid-March but most come in April/May.. I think Waterloo is like that, but they are one of the best Engineering schools in Canada, so I'm not surprised.
I think U of T may be like that too from what I've been reading around here.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh okay! that makes sense! and no I m not from ontario© just out of curiousity' do you know when they notify us the MES results?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline

@cyynthiia wrote
So lucky..
which makes no sense to me.. you'd think the University of British Columbia would take British Columbians first, but what can I do other than wait... -.-
Anywaysss...
If I get accepted into UBC, I think my parents want me to stay here, although I want to leave..

Not necessarily, I'm from BC and got in... like 3 weeks ago?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ott93 ott93
I was accepted to UBC Science a bit over 3 weeks ago. I had an Ontario average of 93.3.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@moodeline wrote

@cyynthiia wrote
So lucky..
Anywaysss...

Not necessarily, I'm from BC and got in... like 3 weeks ago?

Are you IB?
But anyhow.. I know people who have gotten into Arts, Sauder, and Engineering, but I haven't heard about many people from BC who have gotten into Science or HKin.
=[
I'm sure there are some, but I haven't heard of a lot of acceptances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
MEA/MES is on April 30th
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted