yconic - UBC Computer Science, what department is it?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Computer Science, what department is it?

A photo of wassapb6 wassapb6
I'm confused, is UBC Computer Science part of The Arts, Applied Science, or General Science department? & is it okay if I took one science in highschool? (chemistry 12)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion
It's in Science and Arts (so you can earn a BSc or BA). But if you only took Chem 12, then you'll have to go into Arts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Zion wrote
It's in Science and Arts (so you can earn a BSc or BA). But if you only took Chem 12, then you'll have to go into Arts.

You only need one Science 12 to get into Sciences?
As long as your other course is deemed "provincially" acceptable.
Unless there's different pre-reqs for Applied Sciences, but I don't see it on the UBC website so I'm assuming it's the same as Science..... Could be wrong..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@cyynthiia wrote

@Zion wrote

You only need one Science 12 to get into Sciences?
As long as your other course is deemed "provincially" acceptable.
Unless there's different pre-reqs for Applied Sciences, but I don't see it on the UBC website so I'm assuming it's the same as Science..... Could be wrong..

UBC Science requires Chem 11 and Physics 11 too though, and he said Chem 12 was the only science he took in high school. So unless he meant in grade 12, he'll have to do CS in Arts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wassapb6 wassapb6
Yeah sorry, I took Chem 12 this year but I did take Phys 11 and Chem. 11 last year, sweet I guess I can apply for applied science. I'm expecting a 88-90% average next term, what are my chances in getting in? Also what if you have no knowledge in programming, will I be fine? because I don't think you can do anything in highschool to help you with comp sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
If you have a 90%, you're pretty much good to go for Sciences.
That would definitely be more than enough for Arts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
You can get into Sciences then, and maybe Applied Science, I'm not sure. But Computer science isn't in Applied Science, it's in Arts and Sciences. If you go into Applied you'll have to do Computer/Electrical engineering.

And yeah, you'll be alright without programming experience. You could try teaching it to yourself like me to get some practice though. I'd recommend Python.
Was this helpful? Yes 0