yconic - UBC Computer Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Computer Science

A photo of Zion Zion
If I was to go to UBC, I would earn a BA (with a major in CS and a minor in Linguistics). This seemed feasible credit-wise, but now I've noticed something and I'm not sure how to interpret it.

"Students who wish to focus their electives may undertake an optional Minor program in conjunction with a Bachelor of Science program. To do this, students must obtain approval from a senior advisor in the Faculty of Science as well as from advisors in both the Major and Minor subject areas. The following four types of Minor program are available: Minor in Science, Minor in Arts, Minor in Commerce and Minor in Agricultural Sciences. Entry into and continuation in a Minor option requires that the student remain in good academic standing. Students who wish to undertake a Minor Program must seek approval for their program from a Senior Faculty Advisor at the Faculty of Science office. Note that the requirements below apply equally to students in other departments wanting to take a Minor in Computer Science and to students in a Computer Science program wanting to Minor in another discipline."
Source

Does this mean that I can only minor in Linguistics if I'm majoring in CS in the Science faculty (and hence, earning a BSc)? It seems like a pretty ridiculous rule to me. But if it's true then I can't go to UBC.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of wonderfulxchan wonderfulxchan
What do we actually learn in computer science?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
That's weird. I think for a definitive answer you're going to have to email them. I would assume you know this already, but there's also the Cognitive Systems Language Stream, though perhaps that doesn't satisfy your computer science ambitions. I myself have actually been torn between Cognitive Science and Computer Science major with a psych or philosophy minor. I'm going for Cognitive Science, but my consideration of majoring in Computer Science is mainly motivated by the job prospects, plus I feel like majoring in CogSci necessitates grad school...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Yeah, I just e-mailed the CS department. Might as well hear it from the horse's mouth either way. In the Arts program calendar it only lists a CS major, no minor. So I think I might not be able to go to UBC. Do you go there now?

I did look into the Cog Sys program. It's pretty cool, but as you said, I want to incorporate CS. I don't have the pre-reqs for UBC's Science faculty so I'd have to stay in Arts. I actually bought a book on Cog Sci to see if I liked it enough to major in it. It was interesting but I think I'd still prefer to do a CS and Linguistics combo. If you have the pre-reqs you could do the computational stream of Cog Sys and a minor in Phil or Psych.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
Actually, I'm not sure about that. I'd like to know, though. Can you post what you find out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion
Finally got a response:

The wording of the below link you have provided is targeted toward BSc students, simply because the vast majority of our students are BSc students. However, to my knowledge, you are not required to be pursuing a BSc in order to minor in the subject of your choice.

That being said, questions about minors, while you are majoring in Computer Science, should be directed to the Faculty which you are obtaining a degree from. They have jurisdiction over what minors are allowed, and what aren’t – the department of your Major (in this case, Computer Science) does not decide this. Since your question is about minoring in Linguistics while obtaining a BA in CS, you should consult the Faculty of Arts to see if this minor is appropriate in your case.

I checked with the Faculty of Arts and I can. So it's all good. :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
Well, that's good to hear. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0