yconic - UBC, Drinking Age and Alcohol
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC, Drinking Age and Alcohol

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys, so here is the deal. I am transferring to UBC from Australia (I'm Canadian originally), and I found out the drinking age in BC is 19. In Australia it is 18, and I won't turn 19 until October 1st. I looked into bringing alcohol over in check-in baggage or from duty free, but that seems like a really bad idea... I'm staying in Place Vanier or Totem Park (still haven't found out which yet!), where I know most students are first year and 18.

My question will probably sound stupid and have a blindingly obvious answer to you, but coming from a university where everybody was of age it's not entirely clear to me. How hard is it to access alcohol when you're 18 at UBC (or Canadian/US colleges in general)? Is it sort of like being back in high school, where you always need to get somebody of age (or with a fake ID) to buy for you, or is it even more abundant than that?

I know academics are important, and I take them seriously, but come on - it's Frosh Week :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Bringing alcohol over would be stupid and a waste of space. Plus it probably wouldn't last that long. Just make 19 year old friends, get a fake ID, or just wait a month until you're 19 (really, it's not that long, I was under 18 for the first semester of university). Or go to school in Alberta.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@ktel wrote
Bringing alcohol over would be stupid and a waste of space. Plus it probably wouldn't last that long. Just make 19 year old friends, get a fake ID, or just wait a month until you're 19 (really, it's not that long, I was under 18 for the first semester of university). Or go to school in Alberta.

but generally everybody will still be drinking? sorry, i'm not sure if canada has the same drinking culture as what i'm used to
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Well what are you used to? I know lots of people who have been to Australia or Australians who have been to Canada and nobody has really commented on a difference in drinking culture, so I'm sure it's similar.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i still get my grades, but centurions, funnelling, yardies, shotgunning, wine hands, keg races... it's university :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
All of those things happen at probably every Canadian university. Even the "lame" ones.

You play rugby?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've played some union, not league (league is mostly an Aussie thing anyway). Growing up I played mostly cricket (lol, not huge in Canada I'm guessing), cross-country running (got too big lol), soccer and tennis. Was too small for rugby really, but now that I'm a bit bigger maybe I could try taking it up at UBC. Know all the rules... and I'm too slow for distance running after a year of uni lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yeah we're obviously union over here. Just saying, because rugby people definitely exhibit the kind of drinking culture you're probably looking for. And rugby is quite popular in BC, mostly because they can play it more months out of the year. Lots of the national players either start there or move there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

interesting. you play? i'm obviously not good enough to play top level rugby, but if there was some social or beginners team around id be keen
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I will report any of your criminality to the police Mr. Rogers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i never have had and never will have a fake id. but its legal to drink alcohol if you're 18, right? just illegal to buy it.

i struggle to tell whether people are serious or not...

but you know of any less than top level rugby at ubc?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yeah I play rugby. There are club teams everywhere that take absolute beginners. I don't know any specific clubs in BC, but I bet UBC has a social team (they have a competitive team also)

I don't even think it's illegal for you to buy it, it's illegal for people to sell/give it to you. But I believe you consuming it outside the supervision of your parents is illegal, not too sure. Army is the law school reject, he might know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111
Army is just upset that his first underage drinking experience didn't go as planned. He hoped alcohol would help him get over his nerves when talking to girls but they all ran away screaming anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@uncharted1111 wrote
Army is just upset that his first underage drinking experience didn't go as planned. He hoped alcohol would help him get over his nerves when talking to girls but they all ran away screaming anyway.

LOL

and @ ktel - sounds awesome, i've looked around a bit on the ubc websites but couldnt find anything definitive. a club would be great anyway. i assume youre not in the vancouver area?

im just so excited about ubc that im actually like this :bounce: and this :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
With regards to underage drinking, at know that at some universities, if you are in residence, they take it very seriously. If you are underage and they catch you drinking, you will have the alcohol taken away, and for repeat offences there can be other penalties, such as fines, probation, community service, etc. Also, some universities are dry during frosh/orientation week (I have no idea if UBC is one of them). So definitely check into the policies for UBC. You don't want to be fined for drinking underage, if you are caught. That can get rather expensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel

@JRogers123 wrote

and @ ktel - sounds awesome, i've looked around a bit on the ubc websites but couldnt find anything definitive. a club would be great anyway. i assume youre not in the vancouver area?

You'll want to just check out BC club rugby, which won't be affiliated with the university.

No I'm from Alberta, moving to Toronto for grad school. I play varsity rugby so we play UBC and UVic once or twice a year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CatRunner wrote
With regards to underage drinking, at know that at some universities, if you are in residence, they take it very seriously. If you are underage and they catch you drinking, you will have the alcohol taken away, and for repeat offences there can be other penalties, such as fines, probation, community service, etc. Also, some universities are dry during frosh/orientation week (I have no idea if UBC is one of them). So definitely check into the policies for UBC. You don't want to be fined for drinking underage, if you are caught. That can get rather expensive.

that would suck... but what can they do? it's illegal to buy, not illegal to drink
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@JRogers123 wrote

@CatRunner wrote

that would suck... but what can they do? it's illegal to buy, not illegal to drink

They have residence policies that you have violated. So while it's not illegal, you've broken the contract you entered with them and they can kick you out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

@JRogers123 wrote

@CatRunner wrote

They have residence policies that you have violated. So while it's not illegal, you've broken the contract you entered with them and they can kick you out.

read my resident contract, nothing about age or dry frosh week :colors: good sorts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Anything about alcohol and/or parties? I know people who have almost been kicked out or have been kicked out of the res at U of A for organizing parties.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
Anything about alcohol and/or parties? I know people who have almost been kicked out or have been kicked out of the res at U of A for organizing parties.

they're all good but you have to "register" them. i reckon it will be all good, probably just mention it to some person running the hall. probably depends on how anal your RA is more than anything
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of civilboy civilboy
hows it going guys Im going into engineering at ubc cant wait till frosh !! dont forget to join the fb group!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey civilboy, link please?
Was this helpful? Yes 0