yconic - UBC Electrical/Computer Engineering Information Thread
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Electrical/Computer Engineering Information Thread

A photo of Hdefinition Hdefinition
So i was wondering I could get some more info on the EE course offered at UBC from students who are attending now or have already graduated. This thread will probably also help out others like me who want to know an in depth detail of how this course is at UBC.

How much hw is there and do u ever get any free time? Sufficient time to complete work?
Should students that do their work and study all the time just survive or be successful?
How are the profs? are they helpful/nice?
How competetive is the program and what kind of marks should a student with 95% gr 12 avg expect to get in this course? What kind of percentages do kids at the top of the class recieve?
Class sizes?
Once you get past the first year, does the course start to become fun?
what are the job outlooks upon graduation from a school like UBC? salaries that fresh grads recieve in the area?
and what are the exams/tests like. Extremely difficult or easy if u have taken the time to learn everything properly?

Ok i think i have covered the basic questions now.(probably not the last ones though lol)
If you are not from UBC feel free to comment on the marks/tests/success side of elec engineering courses in general
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of MSC MSC

@Hdefinition wrote
So i was wondering I could get some more info on the EE course offered at UBC from students who are attending now or have already graduated. This thread will probably also help out others like me who want to know an in depth detail of how this course is at UBC.

1)How much hw is there and do u ever get any free time? Sufficient time to complete work?
Should students that do their work and study all the time just survive or be successful?
2)How are the profs? are they helpful/nice?
3)How competetive is the program and what kind of marks should a student with 95% gr 12 avg expect to get in this course? What kind of percentages do kids at the top of the class recieve?
4)Class sizes?
Once you get past the first year, does the course start to become fun?
5)what are the job outlooks upon graduation from a school like UBC? salaries that fresh grads recieve in the area?
and
6)what are the exams/tests like. Extremely difficult or easy if u have taken the time to learn everything properly?

Ok i think i have covered the basic questions now.(probably not the last ones though lol)
If you are not from UBC feel free to comment on the marks/tests/success side of elec engineering courses in general

First of all where are you from?

1)Home work aren't bad, people with average smart brain can finish them in one day (per course).
The course you should worry about is PHY 170 the statics part, it can get a bit hairy at time solving forces on crap in 3D but the rest is all calculus.

2)Professors are nice, they are quite friendly on office hours but most people don't go to. Go there if you want to get some extra bonus mark (My friend got a 20% boost by talking to the prof after the mid term).

3)There are people that gets 100s and 90s, but if you are from a normal highschool, I'd say lay off the showing off part and work hard with your heart; since there are many people that knew up to second year course from taking AP programs.
Don't expect too much, but if you keep up the working pace from high school and don't slack off too much you can still maintain 70-80s on average and 90s if you really know the course.

4)Classes can be quite big, but to be honest, not that much helpful as head crunching the book since they do post the slides on vista. Tutorials are better but can some times be unnecessary . You can fall a sleep if you get a bad prof but don't feel too bad, you deserve it:P

5) No idea

6) The exams do tend to trick you some times and all course has their little secrets. It really depends on how well you study, but for the more analytical courses, find the hardest problem in the book and (google, very good btw) and try to understand the concept rather than just how do do the damn thing cause they will usually be questions you've never seen before. (Apart from PSHY170, for that good luck:P)

Enjoy the weather, not the earth quake and rain...snow... Make some good friends and enjoy the campus and study hard. Harder you study, more you can enjoy :P BTW, whitespot on campus rocks.

*The stuff I said above really depends on your highschool education backgrounds, ubc has some brain gradients where some people learnt jack crap in highschool and managed to get 95s+, so it really depends on your education, self a termination and willingness to study ahead*
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for replying. The 70-80% u mentioned is not gonna cut it for me. Im from bc btw. So far i have 98 avg in gr11, highest in my grade. Im willingnto work As hard as possible to stay near the top of my grad class at ubc. Are u saying ppl that know year 2 already will get 100? Am i at a major disadvantage? I hope i will be able to keep up with them as final marks will most likely affect starting salaries by alot. As u can see i am used to having the highest mark all the time and work hard so no one can beat me :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MSC MSC
Am just saying, AP and IB students that are in highschool could've learned as far as to stuff like div, grad curl and lapace transforma. If you are competitive and study stuff that are ahead, then great! You should have no problem. Just keep in mind, pretend you don't know jack and surprise people its always the funnest way to go:). Just out of curiosity, why electrical/ computer? Chemical and biological is much better and got more payment and opportunity in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I take it you are doing ECE at UBC? I chose to do it cause im really into technology and computers and would like to design electronic devices and computer hardware one day. The salaries and opportunities should be fairly equivalent with other disciplines after you get some work experience should it not? and i did not do any AP courses cause my school doesnt offer them. I would take them though. The best i have going into ECE will be math 12, calculus, and phys 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0