yconic - UBC Engineering V.S Queen's Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Engineering V.S Queen's Engineering

A photo of civilboy civilboy
Im really stuck on these two programs i plan on doing research so graduate studies and student exchange i plan on being involved in clubs like engineering without boarders and all that any opinion on these programs? any one in the same situation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of MSC MSC
queens for a better school life and a decent education. Think ubc as a mixture between paradise and u of t. Although apparently, if you are really interested into research, go to ubc okanagan where students can research as undergrad for their prof in 1st year and gets paid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

nah that doesnt happen at okanagan u hve no clue wat ur talking about u dont even know wer u stand
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Lol, dang.
Give the kid a break. Just tryna help you out.
Although I HAVE heard of the same thing, so it could be true.
Don't know bout the getting paid part, but the research part, definitely heard about it before at UBCO.
Anyways..
I would say Queen's..
Don't hear much about research being done at UBC.. I don't hear much from UBC Engineer students at all for that matter.
Queen's is definitely more reputable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MSC MSC

@civilboy wrote
nah that doesnt happen at okanagan u hve no clue wat ur talking about u dont even know wer u stand

How do you know what when you are still in highschool? I for one is currently studying in ubc...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

buddy is serious over here are u at okanagan? i wanna go vancouver okanagan seems a little to deserted but i am not sure job prospects in bc for engineering are not that great but they get payed more than in ontario nd i would want to live there either after i finish school. its a little cheaper though than Queen's i am goin to get killed for the next 5 years 105 grand for an education ahooooooo thank God for coop thank God for grants and bursarys will hopefully only be in debt 35-40 grand hopefully less.
I am doin at work placement at Hatch Mott Macdonald best experience so far and the corporate recruiter told me queens grads tend to be better prepared plus queens seems to have amazing labs and land to experiment for structures etc. UBC seems little sketch...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MSC MSC

@civilboy wrote
buddy is serious over here are u at okanagan? i wanna go vancouver okanagan seems a little to deserted but i am not sure job prospects in bc for engineering are not that great but they get payed more than in ontario nd i would want to live there either after i finish school. its a little cheaper though than Queen's i am goin to get killed for the next 5 years 105 grand for an education ahooooooo thank God for coop thank God for grants and bursarys will hopefully only be in debt 35-40 grand hopefully less.
I am doin at work placement at Hatch Mott Macdonald best experience so far and the corporate recruiter told me queens grads tend to be better prepared plus queens seems to have amazing labs and land to experiment for structures etc. UBC seems little sketch...

Am at the vancouer campus, ubc does have co op for engineers but I would recommend you avoid mechanical (8-7 classes 5 days aweek, enjoy that). If I were you, I'd say if you can afford queens then go for it, the food is cheaper (buffet) and my friends seems like the 98% graduation rate.. I am thinking about transfering to queens btw. But vancouver is nice... (not right now but its usually nice:) ). And yes the work study thing is for real, we have been begging our profs to get it here but they just don't care about us as much...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I cant afford neither school but osap will cover most plus coop how come u are switching to queens?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MSC MSC
don't worry, housing + food + tution + book in ubc van 1 year is about the same as tution for u of t engineering.

Queens have easier life than ubc. I am currently going to mechanical for 2nd year and the schedule is CRAZY
https://courses.students.ubc.ca/cs/main?pname=sttcode&tname=sttcode&dept=BASC&spec=MECH2&sttcode=96331

Although I am likely to stay here in beautiful British Columbia.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

no way more its about 19 grand at ubc nd 13 grand for u of t just tuition im looking at about 22 grand for queens wooowww wat a heavy schedule u got next year i dont really like some of the ubc courses tjey offer for civil engineering
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@MSC wrote

@civilboy wrote

How do you know what when you are still in highschool? I for one is currently studying in ubc...

And this makes you less susceptible to gossip? You aren't even at UBCO, you're at UBC.

To OP:

I'd go for Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MSC MSC

@civilboy wrote
no way more its about 19 grand at ubc nd 13 grand for u of t just tuition im looking at about 22 grand for queens wooowww wat a heavy schedule u got next year i dont really like some of the ubc courses tjey offer for civil engineering

Its 10 grand in total for me in ubc. 6k tutition, 2k food and 2k housing.

@VegaKrazmych wrote

@MSC wrote

@civilboy wrote

And this makes you less susceptible to gossip? You aren't even at UBCO, you're at UBC.

To OP:

I'd go for Queen's.

Again, if you were to attend either ubc campus, you have access to ubc's student career service and you can see all those stuff...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
IMO, if you live in ontario, i would go queens just to be closer to home. Why leave all your buddies and go to other side of the country? And lets say you decide you dont want to do research and you want to work in ontario then it makes sense to go to uni in ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pj2121 wrote
IMO, if you live in ontario, i would go queens just to be closer to home. Why leave all your buddies and go to other side of the country? And lets say you decide you dont want to do research and you want to work in ontario then it makes sense to go to uni in ontario.

yah i took that into consideration too but queens is more expensive im getting 35 000 in bursaries from osap over 5 years im confident il get the admission bursary which is an extra 5000 add coop 16 months in which i will earn about 45 to 50 grand so il have about 35 to 40 grand to pay for in upper years so thats bout 70 grand hopefullyyyy payed off praying(yn) nd 35 grand in debt which i can hopefully pay off in 5 years since im not getting a mortgage till i pay osap off.....
anyways i still got ubc cause of that 40 grand entrance award which im banking on...so if i were to go ubc i could potentially have free ride wheras with queens i will be in debt:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0