yconic - UBC First year Residences
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC First year Residences

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
How would you guys compare Vanier to Totem?

In terms of :

Social Life
Cleanliness
Food
Space

etc...

Thanks for any response!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
All the UBC students I know prefer Vanier to Totem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote
All the UBC students I know prefer Vanier to Totem.

I heard you dont get a choice do you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of electricfeel electricfeel
I stayed with a friend of mine in Totem for a week in March. I only went into the Vanier commonsblock very briefly so I can't really say much about it, but both residences seemed to be very similar.

Vanier has ten houses and Totem has seven, with two new ones opening this fall. I'm pretty sure Vanier is the only residence that has single-gender as well as co-ed houses. The houses were a little drab, but that's to be expected from a university residence. Lots and lots of grey carpeting. Everywhere I went around the residences was very clean--even the bathrooms, although make sure that you don't forget flip flops for the showers...

The food at both places was pretty equal as far as I could tell. Vanier has a brand new cafeteria though which is really nice. They both have a convenience store-type place that is open outside of cafeteria hours. Magda's, the one at Totem, has a late-night grill where you can get burgers and stuff until around 2 AM.

Socially, Totem was pretty fun. There was nothing really going on during the week, which probably had to do with the fact that I was there during midterms, but on the weekend there was always somewhere to go party. There's a reason Totem made the AskMen Canada list of 10 best university dorms! http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/top-10-university-dorms_7.html

The thing that I heard the most about Totem was that it has more of a community feel than Vanier. Vanier tends to be a little quieter on the weekends. Again, not too sure about how true this is because I didn't really spend any time in Vanier, but this is what I've heard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@electricfeel wrote
I stayed with a friend of mine in Totem for a week in March. I only went into the Vanier commonsblock very briefly so I can't really say much about it, but both residences seemed to be very similar.

Vanier has ten houses and Totem has seven, with two new ones opening this fall. I'm pretty sure Vanier is the only residence that has single-gender as well as co-ed houses. The houses were a little drab, but that's to be expected from a university residence. Lots and lots of grey carpeting. Everywhere I went around the residences was very clean--even the bathrooms, although make sure that you don't forget flip flops for the showers...

The food at both places was pretty equal as far as I could tell. Vanier has a brand new cafeteria though which is really nice. They both have a convenience store-type place that is open outside of cafeteria hours. Magda's, the one at Totem, has a late-night grill where you can get burgers and stuff until around 2 AM.

Socially, Totem was pretty fun. There was nothing really going on during the week, which probably had to do with the fact that I was there during midterms, but on the weekend there was always somewhere to go party. There's a reason Totem made the AskMen Canada list of 10 best university dorms! http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/top-10-university-dorms_7.html

The thing that I heard the most about Totem was that it has more of a community feel than Vanier. Vanier tends to be a little quieter on the weekends. Again, not too sure about how true this is because I didn't really spend any time in Vanier, but this is what I've heard.

Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed response!

I was leaning towards Vanier, but after I read your post, I think my thoughts have shifted haha.

Thanks Again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I'm still deciding on whether to attend UBC or McGill, but if I attended UBC, I'd definitely want Vanier!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prmly wrote
I'm still deciding on whether to attend UBC or McGill, but if I attended UBC, I'd definitely want Vanier!

Me too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0