yconic - UBC Literature Requirement?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Literature Requirement?

A photo of prmly prmly
I'm going into my first year at UBC in the fall for Arts. I want to take a Russian (or Scandinavian) literature course as an elective for a few reasons: I'm interested in these courses and the credits help satisfy the Arts degree literature requirement. Unfortunately I've heard from a few friends that most first-years don't start taking lit courses until their second year, however? I'm wondering if this is true? Being a first-year, I don't want to have a huge disadvantage and be in a class with only upperclassmen.

Anyone have any insight?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Are those lit courses upper-year courses (I'm not sure of UBC's system, but that would usually mean that the course code number would start with a 2 or higher)? Are there any first-year prereqs to those courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
You're right about the courses having 2s and 3s as prefixes, but nope, the courses I'm looking at don't have any prerequisites.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Most UBC Arts students take something like English 110 (a general literature course) or an Arts Studies (ASTU) course that counts for literature credit in first year. These would each count for 3 credits. Since you need 6 credits, a lot of students wait until second or third year to take more specific lit courses (like Russian for example) to fulfil the requirement.
You're right that there aren't any pre-reqs for a lot of these, so you can take them if you want. But be careful, they are 200 or 300 level for a reason, so they expectations for essays and other assignments will most likely be higher.
In my first year, I started taking Religious Studies 206 for literature credit and felt completely underprepared so I decided to drop it and take something else before I got too far in.
If you feel you can write to a high standard already, then go for it! It is good to push yourself and these courses can be extremely interesting and eye-opening. But I personally gained a lot more from taking some first year courses and building up my essay writing skills. Remember, you don't have to fulfil this requirement until the very end of your degree, so there's no rush.

Edit: I think it's only ASTU 100 that counts for literature credit. You've probably already seen this, but this page has all you need to know: http://www.arts.ubc.ca/students/nc/academic-planning-advising/degree-requirements/literature-requirement.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I love Russian literature. A lot. I wish I had time for it in my schedule.

I wouldn't go more than one year above your current year (so don't take any 300 courses as a freshman), but if you think you can handle 200-level lit courses, go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0