yconic - UBC Major Scholarship
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Major Scholarship

A photo of ctwinkie ctwinkie
I'm surprised there's no thread for this yet! haha : ) I wanted to start off with a question about the essay. The topic is:

'Think of a significant challenge you have faced. Using this example, describe how your successes and failures in dealing with challenges have contributed to your personal development.'

I'm kind of stuck as to what kind of essay they're looking for. When they say 'significant challenge', do you think they mean more as like a life-long thing you've had to struggle with, like fear of public speaking, or do you think it's about a one-time experience that was difficult for you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I interpreted that question as an ongoing challenge that you face. I'm not saying that that is necessarily correct, though.

Good luck with your entry!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ctwinkie ctwinkie
hmm yeah that's what I was thinking, but maybe it could be both. :) Thanks though! did you apply too?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hippoo hippoo
I answered a different question back in my year, but I think either an ongoing challenge or a one-time challenge would fit well with this question. Whatever allows you to showcase your development as a student, leader, mentor, critical thinker, contributor to society, etc., would be fitting, as that's what they tend to look for. Likely something more "significant" is indeed over an extended period of time, but it could easily have been a challenge you faced while starting up a project, organizing an event, volunteering with different populations, or other personal matters. Whatever you end up choosing, make sure you are specific about your example - I can see responses to this easily being too vague or general.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of purpledog purpledog
Am I the only one who finds the UBC application to be ridiculously long? Compared to the McGill scholarship application, and even the Queen's one, it's just so... long! The (3) reference letters ask a lot of information- I just feel bad even thinking of asking a teacher to take the time to write it. That might just be me though. Well, we only have to write one essay, which is pretty little compared to the 2 for McGill and the 2 for Queen's. I guess UBC just places a greater emphasis on external references than the other schools do. Hah, I guess it isn't as long as it seems. Good luck everyone! I haven't started on mine yet...!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fromvancouver fromvancouver
Is this scholarship application due February 28?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of purpledog purpledog
Ahhh, Feb 28??? I thought it was due later like on March 1. Hahah. Wow I just realized that those two days are pretty close to each other :P

k, I just checked. It's due on March 1, 2011, at 4 pm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
Yep, I've applied. Not sure how I'm feeling about it. No harm in trying, I always say!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of starshine starshine
Does this scholarship put more emphasis on marks, activities or the essay?
And besides, don't you have to get a nomination from your school first? I'm worried
that I won't even get nominated by my school...
Was this helpful? Yes 0