yconic - UBC residence advice for 23yo transfer student
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC residence advice for 23yo transfer student

A photo of sfvancouver sfvancouver
*Welcome personal experience only thanks :)*

Hi guys,

If I stay in Vancouver, transferring to UBC in September. Live in Burnaby, and know my way around Vancouver well (use to work downtown and transit all the time).

I'd love to live in a dorm (no roommate). Problem is I don't know if I'll feel out of place being 23/24 years old. - that said if there are enough older exchange students in the dorms I'd be okay.

Of these:
Totem Park
Place Vanier
Walter Gage
Marine Drive
Ritsumeikan-UBC

What would you personally recommend? Thanks in advance!

P.S. If out of province - I'd like to go to McGill. Out of country - USC directly or through California community college route.
(The ratio of undergrad to graduate @ USC is 1:1 - so lots of people ~my age)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I think Totem and Vanier are reserved for first year students.. those 18 and under..
but I've heard many good things about Gage for students who are a bit older.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
I think Totem and Vanier are reserved for first year students.. those 18 and under..
but I've heard many good things about Gage for students who are a bit older.

I see. UBC site somewhere says exchange students are limited to certain housing options, Totem and Vanier being 2 of them. I don't know what the average age of foreign exchange students are but they're definitely not (all) 1st years.

I'd really like to live in a dorm setting though without a roommate. Going to McGill or USC that's where I'd choose to live also.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bump :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm not sure about the international student limitations.
But I've read from somewhere that Totem and Vanier are only for those 18 and under.
And like I said before, Gage seems to be the most popular one for more mature students.
Why don't you actually head over to UBC and take a tour/residence tour?
Unless you don't live in the greater Vancouver area.
Take the virtual tour of the residences. :)
Pretty sure all the info is on their site(s)!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That I will do. I wanted to quickly submit my application asap because for my category it's done by waitlist.

But yes, I will head down to UBC to get a tour of the residences ahead of time!

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That I will do. I wanted to quickly submit my application asap because for my category it's done by waitlist.

But yes, I will head down to UBC to get a tour of the residences ahead of time!

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hotmustard121 hotmustard121
Sorry to bump this old(er) thread but I have a choice between Gage and Totem/Vanier. I'm 20 so I would be a bit older than most of the others if I live in Totem or Vanier. The thing is that I will probably taking 6 courses a semester and don't really wanna cook. Anyone wanna weigh in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0