yconic - UBC Sauder School of Business sharing and Q&A
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Sauder School of Business sharing and Q&A

A photo of adrianfkh adrianfkh
Hi all!

I am a freshman who just finished my first semester at UBC Sauder! (Woo! It was fun! haha) I guess this is the time of the year when you all high school seniors are worrying about where you will end up in the fall or if you have enough "chances" to get into the program you want. I'm telling you guys I was in the exact same boat as you guys are in right now. I was very worried about whether I was gonna stay home (I'm from Vancouver btw) or that I would go all the way to the East Coast and experience something new. I'm sure you guys are all smart people and will receive many offers from many great universities across the nation, but all I'm trying to say is despite the reputation of the program/school, there are also many considerations that you have to take an account into. Environment of the city? I'm sure you will not want to just stay on campus every single weekend? lol The Weather? The style of the school? I had a friend who just could not get used to the style in Montreal. You are going to spend your college life at the school for the next four years, so consider as many things as you can before you make your final decision! :)

Alright, the main purpose that I created this post is to return a favour from obtaining so much information from this site the same time last year by answering you all people's questions about applying for Business programs in Canada (Queen's, McGill, UT etc.. PARTICULARLY UBC Sauder!) and also the student life as a freshman (well I guess I can only answer this on behalf of UBC).

So if you guys have any admission questions or any wonders about anything, feel free to ask me and I will try my very best to answer all of them! Happy Holidays everyone! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

A photo of x3wilson x3wilson
You are gonna save my life:cheers:

I'm a vancouver student. I'm quite interested in getting into Sauder. My average should be 90.5-90.75% (pretty certain). And I have 1 leadership, 2 volunteers, 1 work, 1 sport experiences(not all of them are Ongoing stuff though, so Idk if that will affect the way they look at it). My supplemental should be average, cuz i'm not a good writer anyway.

With this year, They changed their way of admitting, and start looking at supplemental, but I guess it won't affect Sauder that much, since Sauder had always been like that.

I'm rly worried if I should put commerce as first choice at all, cuz my chances look rly slim, and I might wanna save my first choice for something else.

Jan 31 is the deadline to submit the application, and I still haven't able to decide which faculty to go on. I am just..extremely nervous....

Just wondering if by chance you know, how hard is SFU business to get into?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@x3wilson wrote
You are gonna save my life:cheers:

I'm a vancouver student. I'm quite interested in getting into Sauder. My average should be 90.5-90.75% (pretty certain). And I have 1 leadership, 2 volunteers, 1 work, 1 sport experiences(not all of them are Ongoing stuff though, so Idk if that will affect the way they look at it). My supplemental should be average, cuz i'm not a good writer anyway.

With this year, They changed their way of admitting, and start looking at supplemental, but I guess it won't affect Sauder that much, since Sauder had always been like that.

I'm rly worried if I should put commerce as first choice at all, cuz my chances look rly slim, and I might wanna save my first choice for something else.

Jan 31 is the deadline to submit the application, and I still haven't able to decide which faculty to go on. I am just..extremely nervous....

Just wondering if by chance you know, how hard is SFU business to get into?

Hi Wilson,

First I'm glad that you are interested in getting into Sauder. (Sauder is just beyond amazing haha) I think you have a fairly descent average and what I'm going to say is it is not the number of EC matters, it is the quality of them. Most importantly, it is how to deliver them to let the admission team thinks it will be beneficial for both you and the school if you are admitted. Think in this way when you are writing the supplemental.

Other than that, I think you should definitely put Commerce as your first choice if you really wanna get into Sauder. I believe it gives you a slight higher chance and of course you don't have to if you are interested in another program more. Lastly, just relax and sit down and think about what you wanna do in your life. And if you still haven't figured it out by then, pick Sauder and you will most likely not regret! (This is getting personal for me, but it is true to most people I have met in Sauder and UBC in general). Good Luck!

To answer your SFU business question, I don't think I will be an expert to answer that simply because I did not apply there. I didn't know if it was just the influence of some of my asian friends or just my instant feeling; I just did not like SFU. However, hearing from people who have applied there, I'd say you will have no problem getting in according to the info you give and I do know SFU also does give out lot more scholarships than UBC does. And I was told a joke that what do Sauderites and people at SFU Beedie have in common? It is that they both apply to Sauder! LOL See? I'm just not a good person to ask about stuff for SFU haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DreamMaster DreamMaster
Hi
Firstly, i am so happy to see that there is someone out there that can actually help me!

I am also interested in Sauder School of business and i am like so paranoid!

i am a bc resident as well and for me i have always been interested in going to UBC

Sauder School of Business.

I have phoned them and asked them questions, but essentially i wanted to know what the

average acceptance percentage is. Unfortunately, they couldnt answer the question.

Right now I have 95 % average and would this be a guarantee in terms of grade?

I dont think i can raise the mark any higher than this well at least for now...

And As for supplementary i heard that they put significance on "Giving back" "Community"

"Contribution." It would be wise to mention them in my supplementary right?

I have also sent my applications to York, U of T, and McGill

but my hearts seems like it will only be satsified with UBC even though other schools

are fantastic.

i also heard that last year only 530 out of 8000 were chosen...(this is a major contribution to my anxiety)

What do u think of my situation?` help i am so desperate and i so sosos want to get in!

(my second choice is arts.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@DreamMaster wrote
Hi
Firstly, i am so happy to see that there is someone out there that can actually help me!

I am also interested in Sauder School of business and i am like so paranoid!

i am a bc resident as well and for me i have always been interested in going to UBC

Sauder School of Business.

I have phoned them and asked them questions, but essentially i wanted to know what the

average acceptance percentage is. Unfortunately, they couldnt answer the question.

Right now I have 95 % average and would this be a guarantee in terms of grade?

I dont think i can raise the mark any higher than this well at least for now...

And As for supplementary i heard that they put significance on "Giving back" "Community"

"Contribution." It would be wise to mention them in my supplementary right?

I have also sent my applications to York, U of T, and McGill

but my hearts seems like it will only be satsified with UBC even though other schools

are fantastic.

i also heard that last year only 530 out of 8000 were chosen...(this is a major contribution to my anxiety)

What do u think of my situation?` help i am so desperate and i so sosos want to get in!

(my second choice is arts.)

Hi DreamMaster,

Again, glad to hear that you are interested in joining the Sauder big family! I actually know a few people in the Sauder undergraduate office and I know that they are usually very vague in answering admission questions. Back to your situation, I think your 95% average is definitely very competitive. Yet, from the experiences I have heard, I have always been telling people your grade is only worth 50%, the other 50% goes to how well you deliver your supplementals. (Again, this is just my thought. See it as a reference) I have friends who got in with an 85% and I also know people who got rejected with a 99%, so I'd say there are no guarantees! My suggestion to you is focus on your supplementary and do your best on it! (I still remember I have written three drafts in total before I submitted mine.) And Yes, Sauder really values giving back to the community, but it is quality over quantity. Make sure you deliver your EC's well and demonstrate how you can add value to Sauder. Lastly, I will have to say it is competitive to get into Sauder, but just do your best for now and you should be fine. And picking Arts as your second choice is good; it will be easier for you to transfer to Sauder if you don't get in first year.

Cheers,

Adrian
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ELubendo ELubendo
Hey, TS, I am also applying to McGill, UBC and Queen's and my school is semester so I'm still waiting on my marks. I am a British Columbian student and I think I am at a 90% average for my top four provincially acceptable courses. Just wondering, did you also get accepted to McGill and Queen's and with what marks? My ECs are fine, it's just the marks that I am worried about. I just want to get a picture, to see where I am standing.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Totally off topic, but I think I know who the OP is, hahaha....
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

Are you also a Sauderite? What kind of marks did you have when you applied?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ELubendo wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

Ready the siggy, I'm not a Sauderite. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

@ELubendo wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

Ready the siggy, I'm not a Sauderite. ;)

Haha, my bad!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ All good.. but I can tell you that you'll probably need at LEAST 90, maybe even 91. Andd.. it's 50% supplemental and 50% marks, so make sure you have a GOOD supplemental too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of babayetu babayetu
Hi,

i am interested in going to UBC as well, and I live in BC. I have a 92~93 average, and my ECs aren't that great as I have no experience in leadership positions and I also do not have the strongest volunteering. I just have sports ECs, and for work experience, I just started working as a soccer referee this year. Do you think I have a chance at Sauder? And also, I know that supplementals are pretty important for Sauder, and this year every applicant to UBC has to do the personal profile with five 200-word paragraph answers and listing your 5 activities/volunteer/work/etc.. Is this all the supplemental you are going to need to do for Sauder? (Because starting this year, every one has to finish the personal profile, so it seems for me that those applying to Sauder should do some more supplementals)

Since I have just recently considered the business option (before I was 90% sure I was going into Sciences) If I put down Sauder as first option and Science as second option, do they tell you whether u have been accepted to both or do they just disregard the second option if you have been accepted into the first option? I might wanna feel like going into Sciences again after I submit the application, so I want to know if I can go back to Sciences (which will be put down as 2nd option) if I make Sauder as first option (hopefully).

Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GameTime GameTime

@babayetu wrote
Hi,

i am interested in going to UBC as well, and I live in BC. I have a 92~93 average, and my ECs aren't that great as I have no experience in leadership positions and I also do not have the strongest volunteering. I just have sports ECs, and for work experience, I just started working as a soccer referee this year. Do you think I have a chance at Sauder? And also, I know that supplementals are pretty important for Sauder, and this year every applicant to UBC has to do the personal profile with five 200-word paragraph answers and listing your 5 activities/volunteer/work/etc.. Is this all the supplemental you are going to need to do for Sauder? (Because starting this year, every one has to finish the personal profile, so it seems for me that those applying to Sauder should do some more supplementals)

Since I have just recently considered the business option (before I was 90% sure I was going into Sciences) If I put down Sauder as first option and Science as second option, do they tell you whether u have been accepted to both or do they just disregard the second option if you have been accepted into the first option? I might wanna feel like going into Sciences again after I submit the application, so I want to know if I can go back to Sciences (which will be put down as 2nd option) if I make Sauder as first option (hopefully).

Thanks!!

Hey.

I am currently a first year Sauderite too and was also hoping to kind of give back to this forum. Trust me I was going crazy during the deadline of the supplemental and would visit the Sauder pages A LOT.

I think it really comes down on how you elaborate on your extra circular activities. You shouldn't be lying, but you still have to make sure you express your skills and attributes to the fullest.

I know a few people in this years class who are very soccer orientated. And I think they had a similar average to yours as well. You definitely have a good chance.

I think that is the supplemental (personal profile). But again I am not entirely sure. I have been helping out a couple of friends who are also applying to Sauder and that's what they have been working on. But it is fairly similar.

Chances are you will get accepted in to Sciences more quickly than Sauder (from what I have heard/experienced). And when you get accepted, there will be an option whether you still would like to consider your first choice. That being said I am not sure whether it's the same for the other way around. I wouldn't think so.

^^^^^^^^^^And for the poster asking about SFU business

I think it's easier than Sauder. Especially since I got accepted pretty quickly. I think a lot of people don't really focus on the SFU supplemental application. So just make sure you do your supplemental as the best of your abilities.

~ Good Luck to Everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne
Hi,

what do you know about CEGEP students in terms of admission requirements?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christinakwan1 christinakwan1
Hi, I also have quite average ECs but I am interested in Business at UBC. I read a lot of "quality over quantity". I don't have a real job, but I do work at my parents' place on occasion (they live in another city, so you can say my 'job' there is seasonal). I have experience in treasury (I think that's the word... I'm actually not sure haha.) Well I am in charge of adding the money that our business made at the end of the day/debit machine and cash register daily profits print outs and stuff...I really don't know the word for it, but
Would you say that this is a good EC? :/ Of course I have other ECs, but they are mostly just volunteer. Thanks!:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ELubendo wrote
Hey, TS, I am also applying to McGill, UBC and Queen's and my school is semester so I'm still waiting on my marks. I am a British Columbian student and I think I am at a 90% average for my top four provincially acceptable courses. Just wondering, did you also get accepted to McGill and Queen's and with what marks? My ECs are fine, it's just the marks that I am worried about. I just want to get a picture, to see where I am standing.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I apologize for the very late reply. I did apply to McGill and Queen's. I got admitted by Queen's, but rejected by McGill I think simply because my admission average was around 91 (heard the mcgill business cutoff this year last year 93%, cos they don't look at your EC's at all!!) Feel free to msg me or give me an email if you have more questions in details!

Cheers,
Adrian
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@babayetu wrote
Hi,

Thanks!!

Hi there,

I have heard UBC has changed their admission process this year, so I think pretty much you have to do a supplementary kinda thing no matter which faculty you are applying to? And I'm glad you are interested in business too! Sauder is a great school for it and you will have lots of fun! If I were you having an average of 92-93%, I would totally put Sauder as first option and give it a shot cos I'm pretty sure you will get into science with that average even if you put it as your second choice. Please msg me or give me an email if you have more questions! Best of luck!

Cheers,
Adrian

adriankhfung@gmail.com
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JonathanEtienne wrote
Hi,

what do you know about CEGEP students in terms of admission requirements?
Thanks

Hi there,

I'm not sure about the Sauder admission requirements for CEGEP students, but feel free to visit the Sauder website and give them a call directly. The undergrad office is usually very helpful! Best of luck!

Cheers,
Adrian
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@christinakwan wrote
Hi, I also have quite average ECs but I am interested in Business at UBC. I read a lot of "quality over quantity". I don't have a real job, but I do work at my parents' place on occasion (they live in another city, so you can say my 'job' there is seasonal). I have experience in treasury (I think that's the word... I'm actually not sure haha.) Well I am in charge of adding the money that our business made at the end of the day/debit machine and cash register daily profits print outs and stuff...I really don't know the word for it, but
Would you say that this is a good EC? :/ Of course I have other ECs, but they are mostly just volunteer. Thanks!:)

Hi Christine,

I personally think Sauder overlooks volunteering experiences more than actual working experiences. And what I mean by quality over quantity is that you have to show how much you are experiencing and learning through your writing. You can only be a community city occasion volunteer or just a player on a sports team, but you can deliver the experience as the biggest deal in your life and how life-changing it is. Show them how much you have done to try to get in and make them think that they must admit you! Msg or email me if you have anymore questions. Best of luck!

Cheers,
Adrian

adriankhfung@gmail.com
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
LOL I know who the OP is too ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok now I have another question.

I will be transfering to year 2 or the second semester of year 1. When all my courses are taken into account, my average is 80,6%. When soley commerce courses (including english, calculus...) my average rises to 89.8% with a perfect 100 in intro to business.

My EC is outstanding but with 8000 that applied last year and around 500 who got accepted, i don't now where i stand.

BTW whats the best residence?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JonathanEtienne wrote

I will be transfering to year 2 or the second semester of year 1. When all my courses are taken into account, my average is 80,6%. When soley commerce courses (including english, calculus...) my average rises to 89.8% with a perfect 100 in intro to business.

My EC is outstanding but with 8000 that applied last year and around 500 who got accepted, i don't now where i stand.

From the information you've given, I'd say you have a pretty descent chance! Good luck! :)

And you've asked a great question there! Totem has always been known as the party place and Vanier is like the more civilized one. However, I think this year has been the opposite. It really depends on the people there every single year! lol But for Sauder students, I highly recommend living in Vanier since it's so much closer to everything. Yet, the brand new totem is pretty sweet too! :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cliffhanger33 wrote
LOL I know who the OP is too ;)

REVEAL YOURSELF! LOL this is so creepyy!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@adrianfkh wrote

@JonathanEtienne wrote

From the information you've given, I'd say you have a pretty descent chance! Good luck! :)

And you've asked a great question there! Totem has always been known as the party place and Vanier is like the more civilized one. However, I think this year has been the opposite. It really depends on the people there every single year! lol But for Sauder students, I highly recommend living in Vanier since it's so much closer to everything. Yet, the brand new totem is pretty sweet too! :)

Thanks for your response.

Is there any Orientation program? I have never visited Vancouver and do not want to feel lost during the first few weeks.

BTW beside the investment banking competition, what other comp is just as good at Sauder.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of firefox390 firefox390

@JonathanEtienne wrote

@adrianfkh wrote

@JonathanEtienne wrote

Is there any Orientation program? I have never visited Vancouver and do not want to feel lost during the first few weeks.

BTW beside the investment banking competition, what other comp is just as good at Sauder.

http://www.enterprizecanada.org/
Sauder also plans on unveiling its first international case competition next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@firefox390 wrote

@JonathanEtienne wrote

@adrianfkh wrote

@JonathanEtienne wrote

http://www.enterprizecanada.org/
Sauder also plans on unveiling its first international case competition next year.

Oh wow thats amazing. I find it unfortunate that everyone is going after schools like Rotman, when for me Sauder has the best overall UNDERGRAD package.
Sauder is very cheap and dominates western canada. Obviously, ivey fans will disagree with this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0