yconic - UBC Sauders Bachelors of Commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Sauders Bachelors of Commerce

A photo of WD50 WD50
I got 2 quick questions:

1. After getting into Sauders, are supplementary applications (volunteer, etc.) still require for moving onto year 2, year 3, and year 4? or are grades good enough?

2. (Sorry, dumb question) Is it possible to transfer from UBC Applied Sciences to Sauders after 1st year?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of exhibit exhibit

@WD50 wrote
I got 2 quick questions:

1. After getting into Sauders, are supplementary applications (volunteer, etc.) still require for moving onto year 2, year 3, and year 4? or are grades good enough?

2. (Sorry, dumb question) Is it possible to transfer from UBC Applied Sciences to Sauders after 1st year?

Thanks.

1) It's Sauder not Sauders. Once you're in, you're in. You don't have to reapply every year. That would be ridiculous.

2) I think so. Most people who transfer to Sauder do so from UBC Arts, SFU Arts/Business, and two-year colleges in BC, though. I think that Sauder requires you to take certain courses before applying for transfer admission and it could be hard to take them since your engineering curriculum wouldn't have much room for electives. Do some research on this.

If you want to go to Sauder and can't get in directly just go to UBC Arts or a two-year college. Going into engineering unnecessarily complicates it, in my opinion.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
1. No- you're in, you're in. Just keep your core average 65%+ and your English mark 60%+ (which a LOT of people don't manage), and you will be fine.

2. No, many commerce courses are restricted. If you want to transfer, transfer into year 2.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wonderfulxchan wonderfulxchan
I have two quick questions. Is it possible to get into UBC commerce if I did not take accounting 12, but I have taken accounting 11 and entrepreneurship 12? Also, is it possible for me to go to Kwantlen for business first and then transfer to UBC?

Thank you ^^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@wonderfulxchan wrote
I have two quick questions. Is it possible to get into UBC commerce if I did not take accounting 12, but I have taken accounting 11 and entrepreneurship 12? Also, is it possible for me to go to Kwantlen for business first and then transfer to UBC?

Thank you ^^

You don't need any high school business courses to get into UBC Commerce.

Kwantlen -> UBC Commerce is probably (90% chance) possible, although I haven't heard of anyone going that route. Check with UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WD50 WD50
thanks all
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kargo93 Kargo93
hey,
is it diffuclt to transfer to Sauder from Ontario university?

do they look at your high school courses?
thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Kargo93 wrote
hey,

thanks

Can't say whether it's difficult or not. If you're wondering if it's harder to transfer from Ontario, probably not. More BC students transfer to Sauder but more BC students want to go there in the first place so it evens out.

I don't think they look at your high school courses if you're a college/university student, but you should check with UBC (check the website or call the admissions office).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@exhibit wrote

@Kargo93 wrote
hey,

thanks

Can't say whether it's difficult or not. If you're wondering if it's harder to transfer from Ontario, probably not. More BC students transfer to Sauder but more BC students want to go there in the first place so it evens out.

I don't think they look at your high school courses if you're a college/university student, but you should check with UBC (check the website or call the admissions office).

thanks, Also their cut off is 87 approx but you need great ECs...
so is it the same for Transfers, or they only look at marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Kargo93 wrote
hey,

thanks

Transferring into Sauder from anywhere is difficult. Last year they took roughly about only 200 transfers out of 2000 applicants.

Plus, if you're not transferring from another UBC faculty, but outside UBC, they have a slightly lower preference than their own faculty transfers. (i.e. if you were the admissions officer would you want to take your own UBC student first or someone outside, given the same supplemental application and grades?)

Last year I believe they took only about 60 transfer applicants outside UBC. What matters the most is:

a) Your Core GPA (the GPA calculated from the "main" courses). Most people do terrible in First Year English. For myself if it weren't for English my GPA would be >4...
b) Your supplemental application. It's not about HOW MUCH you do, it's about WHAT you do and how you present it (i.e. many applicants have poor English/grammar skills so they mess up their essays and write in broken English. Don't think I'm only referring to Asians, I've known many poor White essay-writers)

@wonderfulxchan wrote

Thank you ^^

No, you don't need any of those courses.
All you need is English 12, Math 12, and any other 2 provincially-approved grade 12 courses (e.g. Chemistry, entrepreneurship, advanced functions, calculus, etc...)

Yes, you can go to Kwantlen first, just make sure you do all the required courses and ensure they transfer. It's a bit easier to get in that way actually because kids get wiped out by the difficulty of University, or just decide business isn't for them, hence lower competition.

From high school, the acceptance rate last year was roughly 6% while from College/Faculty transfers it was roughly 10%. Still low, but better. You find that As are "worth" more in Uni than in high school.

@Kargo93 wrote

@exhibit wrote

@Kargo93 wrote
hey,

thanks

thanks, Also their cut off is 87 approx but you need great ECs...
so is it the same for Transfers, or they only look at marks?

It depends on your supplementary application as well.
87%... you will have to have an extremely well done supplemental to get in.
Extremely as in "crap yourself" quality :bounce:

Last year, it was roughly 91% with a "well done" supplemental. People with 94% were being deferred.

When you transfer, you still must do the supplementary application. It shall haunt you.. mwhahhaa
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh thanks,

I was planning to live home, then transfer to university outside..

Ivey, sauder, mcgill

what kind of gpa should you have to transfer to sauder?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote

From high school, the acceptance rate last year was roughly [size=8]6%[/size] while from College/Faculty transfers it was roughly [size=8]10%[/size].

Lolwut?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@exhibit wrote

@forthewinwin wrote

From high school, the acceptance rate last year was roughly [size=8]6%[/size] while from College/Faculty transfers it was roughly [size=8]10%[/size].

Lolwut?

UBC holds their statistics somewhere on their site.
The 6% was accounting in ALL the high school applicants though, including that huge chunk that didn't even make the bare cutoff to even be considered for admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Kargo93 wrote
oh thanks,

I was planning to live home, then transfer to university outside..

Ivey, sauder, mcgill

what kind of gpa should you have to transfer to sauder?

As I mentioned earlier, it's heavily weighed on your supplementary application as well as your GPA. The Core GPA is more important than your overall.

For example, you can have a GPA of 2.7 and an amazing supplementary application and get in, but you can have a GPA of 3.2 and a supplementary application that sucks and not get in.

As a general guideline, people tell you to keep your GPA 3.5 and above to be "safe" for most prestigious Business schools. Rotman requires a mandatory A- minimum average to transfer into their Commerce program, so that says a bit about how competitive it is.

3.0+ is very much possible depending on the year, but anything below and you're treading on extremely thin ice.

Another local university that sends a lot of transfer students to UBC Sauder stated that the historical transfer GPA has been roughly 3.2-3.3, but then this varies and I certainly don't want to be on the sh*t end of the stick, so I'm going to stick to >3.5.
Was this helpful? Yes 0