yconic - UBC Science and Arts..?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Science and Arts..?

A photo of syoo93 syoo93
I've applied for UBC's science and arts, science as first choice, and arts as my second. I applied a while back, thinking I could get a high average, but things didnt turn out the way I wanted...and now my average is pretty low..low as in 85%. I've asked a friend who's in UBC arts, and he said I will be accepted to UBC arts with an 85% avg, and my supplemental. I'm not sure if he's right though, because there were some people with an 87% average who didnt get accepted to arts.

Is it common for high school grad students to apply for the january semester after not being able to attend the september semester? if i dont get accepted to UBC for this september, would i be able to re apply for january 2012? and would i be able to apply for that term asap?

Also, does UBC consider final marks? because I know I can bump up my grades by the next report card in june...but i know sfu doesnt accept final marks, and i was wondering if ubc does or doesnt either.

Sorry for the many questions,
and thanks in advance! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
28 replies

A photo of lauren4567 lauren4567
I am in the same situation... I think getting into arts with an 85% is a little bit hard becaues they supposedly raise the bar for your second option.
I am currently thinking of changing my second option (arts) into my first option (science) but I'm still not sure... my report cards don't come out until friday so asd;lgka;galds'g I don't know.
I'm reading everywhere that it's unlikely to get into UBC Arts as a second option with 89% and I want to punch someone... not really, well yeah actually I do.

Anyway

From what I've read from various places and UBC itself, they keep on seeing your grades in mid-May if your grades are a little bit low, so maybe you/we can work really hard and raise our averages... ?

http://www.facebook.com/youbc#!/youbc?sk=wall

ah..

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of syoo93 syoo93
so, switching my options would give a slightly greater chance for acceptance for arts with an 85% avg?.. man, i dont know how this works. because i've heard so many different things from many people.
I just hope they wont reject us completely, and instead at least put us on hold..till we give them our boosted marks!!

good luck to both of us!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
@ Lauren - you can actually still get into Science with an 89 in May if your supplemental is amazingggg.. I've heard of it happening.

It is also true about raising the bar for your second choice, so 85 for Arts as your second choice probably won't cut it. You would need at least a high 80's probably. If you changed Arts to your first choice, you'd have a better chance.
They do continue giving out acceptances until late May though, but I do believe hearing that they do give out VERY late acceptances in July when everyone has either accepted or declined their offers and there is still room left. This will only happen if not enough students accept their offers, which would be hard to imagine at UBC. They usually send out more offers than they have spots to account for those students who end up declining their acceptance.

With an 85% average, your chances are pretty slim, I would say. =/
Might still be a chance, but it's not going to be a very high guaranteed chance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
@ Lauren - you can actually still get into Science with an 89 in May if your supplemental is amazingggg.. I've heard of it happening.

It is also true about raising the bar for your second choice, so 85 for Arts as your second choice probably won't cut it. You would need at least a high 80's probably. If you changed Arts to your first choice, you'd have a better chance.
They do continue giving out acceptances until late May though, but I do believe hearing that they do give out VERY late acceptances in July when everyone has either accepted or declined their offers and there is still room left. This will only happen if not enough students accept their offers, which would be hard to imagine at UBC. They usually send out more offers than they have spots to account for those students who end up declining their acceptance.

With an 85% average, your chances are pretty slim, I would say. =/
Might still be a chance, but it's not going to be a very high guaranteed chance.

Ah yes, I think I will change my first and second option...
The thing is that math 12 is the one that brings my average down... with arts, because they don't count math 12, my average is 89% but science just adñlgkadñgadg40ti'3¡'r

I know that if I put arts as my first option I will have no chance of getting into science but if I think of it and try to get a better average for mid-May or at the end of the year I don't think it would be an incredible change, like, my average is not going to be 93% or something... ALKDJGÑLAGKADÑLKG409erod`pfl´çdçç

I officially don't know what to do.

I applied to UBC and SFU... ughh should I change it?? I think I am going to change it... it's not incredibly difficult to change faculties within UBC is it?? I mean I know I would have to maintain a really good GPA and everything

ahh
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I guess it all boils down to: will I get into UBC arts (second option) with a 89%??
and most people are saying "not really"
So I guess the safest thing to do or at least try is to change it...

Was this helpful? Yes 0

You'd be cutting it EXTREMELY close for second choice.
So if you want a definite acceptance to UBC, I would change Arts to first.
That still wont GUARANTEE anything, but you will have a MUCH better shot with Arts as your first choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

OK
IT'S DECIDED

I don't even know if it's actually possible to change your first second choices... ha, I guess I will find out tomorrow... If they can't then uh I didn't really wanted to go to UBC anyway :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mutuba mutuba
I know someone at my school who emailed UBC and was able to change it up. I would think that calling them would allow for an even swifter response.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mutuba wrote
I know someone at my school who emailed UBC and was able to change it up. I would think that calling them would allow for an even swifter response.

Ok that's good news...
Let's see how everything turns out blaaeeyyhfdfghhhh
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lauren4567 wrote

@mutuba wrote

Ok that's good news...

You can, but only once. :P
So make sure it's what you want!
BEST OF LUCK!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lkdfsjñldfgña

Now I don't know... I asked my sister (who is in Sauder - oh the irony) and she was like "well that's what your second option is for!" and I was like "well yeah but it's more difficult to enter because they ~raise the bar~ with your second option and it's not like I have a 98%" and anyway she said she didn't see the point in doing it...

No, whatever, I'm doing it anyway

useless post bye forever
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote

@lauren4567 wrote

@mutuba wrote

Ok that's good news...

You can, but only once. :P
So make sure it's what you want!
BEST OF LUCK!

THANK YOU!

Yeah I really want to go to UBC

GOOD VIBRATIONS GOOD VIBRATIONS~~~~~~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Maybe I'll see you there in some of my science courses, or electives. :)
Still torn between a few schools, so I'm not sure if I'll be going to UBC yet.
:P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of syoo93 syoo93
I actually called UBC today to ask if I could change my program, like instead of arts as my second choice, I would want it to be first now..and they said program switches like that are not allowed anymore, and the deadline for that was march 15........

85% with supplemental to arts is slim right..? ):

UBC said they might reconsider if there is room in the end..... ):
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
It's slim but definitely still possible near the end of acceptances.
But if it's 85% and second choice, the chances are even lower.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of syoo93 syoo93
why is that ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hahahaha damn!

Oh well, I guess everything happens for a reason??

DON'T GO TO UBC SO THEY CAN GIVE US YOUR SPOT! jk, I'm half-awake...

I'll still call them so I they can tell me the same thing, cool.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
^

one of my best friends is studying nanotechnology in waterloo and he says it's really really great :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@lauren4567 wrote

@cyynthiia wrote
^

one of my best friends is studying nanotechnology in waterloo and he says it's really really great :)

Nanotech is great in first year. After that...not so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote

@lauren4567 wrote

@cyynthiia wrote
^

Nanotech is great in first year. After that...not so much.

Hahaha yeah he's finishing his first year... I'll be kind enough to tell him next year will be horrible :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I got into UBC Arts with an 87% average and they didn't even look at my supplemental. Truthfully, I think you'll make it in later on this month once people start rejecting their offers in lieu for SFU or UofT or wherever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chenyueg chenyueg

@prmly wrote
I got into UBC Arts with an 87% average and they didn't even look at my supplemental. Truthfully, I think you'll make it in later on this month once people start rejecting their offers in lieu for SFU or UofT or wherever.

wuts ur ave ?? and is it ur 2nd choice????
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@chenyueg wrote

@prmly wrote

wuts ur ave ?? and is it ur 2nd choice????

Average was 87% and it was my only choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CrimeJustice CrimeJustice
I made it in UBC Arts last week with an 84.75% average and an awesome supplementary
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chenyueg chenyueg

@CrimeJustice wrote
I made it in UBC Arts last week with an 84.75% average and an awesome supplementary

omg u serious????
i am soo worried >.<' i really wanna get into ubc ARTS
my ave is 87 but its my 2nd choice tho, i heard that 2nd choice is always harder than the 1st......
Was this helpful? Yes 0