yconic - UBC Science or Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Science or Engineering

A photo of x3wilson x3wilson
Hey Guys,

I'm interested in both the UBC Science and Engineering programs offered by UBC Vancouver. But I'm not sure which one to put as my first choice.

---
If I put Science as my first choice, (i'm pretty sure that Ill have an average of 90% for admission to Science). I afraid that I will not get in, Since i heard Science is really competitive, harder to get into compared to Engineering.(Which I will probably have a 88-89 average for Engineering). While Engineering accepts students who put Engineering as the first choice(as a priority), I may lose out the chance from getting accepted by Engineering, since I know that Engineering also has lots of applicants.

Should I go for a safer choice and put Engineering as my first choice instead(since It should be easier to get into, compared to Science(from what I heard). And I think a 88-89% for Engineering should not be that bad..(especially when i put it as first choice)
---

Any advises or experiences are welcome.:cheers:

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Hey Wilson,

YAY UBC! Are you a domestic student or from somewhere else in Canada?!
I actually am in UBC Sciences right now, haha.
What's your average looking like right now? UBC only looks at your term 2 average though, so if you're scared you won't make it in, you still have some time to make up for it!
It is true, Sciences is the most competitive faculty to get in to with regards to average.
Last year when I got in, the minimum average to get in was 90%. That's not to say that people with lower didn't get in, because I know a few who did BUT they got in way later than everyone else (in the summer) and hate the latest registration dates for courses. If you do a good supplemental, you may still have a chance with 89%.
Engineering is easier to get in to, but the hardest to stay in. They take ~6 courses per semester, whereas the typical student usually takes only 5.
But Science and Engineering are two completelyyy different faculties, so I think it really depends on where your interests lay right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of x3wilson x3wilson

@cyynthiia wrote
Hey Wilson,

YAY UBC! Are you a domestic student or from somewhere else in Canada?!
I actually am in UBC Sciences right now, haha.
What's your average looking like right now? UBC only looks at your term 2 average though, so if you're scared you won't make it in, you still have some time to make up for it!
It is true, Sciences is the most competitive faculty to get in to with regards to average.
Last year when I got in, the minimum average to get in was 90%. That's not to say that people with lower didn't get in, because I know a few who did BUT they got in way later than everyone else (in the summer) and hate the latest registration dates for courses. If you do a good supplemental, you may still have a chance with 89%.
Engineering is easier to get in to, but the hardest to stay in. They take ~6 courses per semester, whereas the typical student usually takes only 5.
But Science and Engineering are two completelyyy different faculties, so I think it really depends on where your interests lay right now.

Thanks for your advises!
I'm currently a domestic student in the Vancouver area already.
Right now term 1 in Highschool is ending soon, and I'm also taking some online courses(which I plan to complete before UBC needs the marks in). As I said, cuz I already have a pretty good feeling of some of my % in the courses that will be used to calculate the averages(cuz I'm almost done with some online courses, or I've already taken it over the Summer), My average for Science should be around 90-90.5(if the 0.5 helps:clown: ).

By what you were saying, All faculties look at term 2 averages?

I'm considering Pharmacy or Chemical Engineering. Pharmacy has some prerequisites of 1 year of university before applying to the Faculty of Pharmacy. Both are my interest, but I cannot seem to decide whether which faculty to put as the first choice yet...As Science will lead into the route of Pharmacy, whereas Engineering will lead me into the route of Chemical Engineering....:cyclops: Deadline for signup is January 31..:bounce: feeling so frustrated

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
90-90.5 may make the cutoff this year. I can't say what the cut-off is since it was 90 last year and is supposed to go up this year. If you do a supplemental and it's a pretty darn good supplemental, you'll get in for sure. :P
Hey, I want to do pharmacy too!
Yeah the only way you will get the pre-reqs for pharmacy is either in Sciences or Arts, definitely not in Engineering.

They only look at your term 2 average for admissions, yes. But they will look at your year end marks to make sure you still qualify (you only need to keep 67% at the end, no worries!).

It's a tough choice, I know. I guess I'm just glad that I knew my passion always laid in Sciences. Do you like more Physics and hands-on kind of stuff or do you like getting into the nitty gritty of cells and how things function and work the way they do at a chemical level?

If you have any more questions, feel free to inbox me.. I'd love to try and help you out! :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0