yconic - UBC Self Reporting for Admission Scholarships
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Self Reporting for Admission Scholarships

A photo of LoganGraham LoganGraham
Currently, my marks average 94.8% -- which is just below the 95% threshold for UBC admission scholarships of the highest tier.

Should I wait a few weeks, then -- as I hit my peak between now and May 2 -- report those grades, which are hopefully 95% or above?

What exactly do they calculate those scholarships on, anyways? Grade 12 courses? Grade 11/12 courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Pouria Pouria
They calculate it based on the courses you're applying to their program with. I'm pretty sure the scholarship is based on your overall mark of those four courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Well, it depends also on how badly you want an acceptance, and how early you want it.
They start accepting as early as April 20th.. and with an average that high, you are guaranteed a spot pretty much.
What faculty did you apply for?
Unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you can get at least a 95% average in your pre-req courses.. so your top 4 if you're from BC.. I would just report them now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LoganGraham LoganGraham

@cyynthiia wrote
Well, it depends also on how badly you want an acceptance, and how early you want it.
They start accepting as early as April 20th.. and with an average that high, you are guaranteed a spot pretty much.
What faculty did you apply for?
Unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you can get at least a 95% average in your pre-req courses.. so your top 4 if you're from BC.. I would just report them now.

They take your top 4 courses, use that as your admission average, and base scholarships off that?

I applied to Sauder (Commerce) and Economics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you're from BC, yeah..
Well technically..
It's.. English.. Math.. then your next top 2 provincially examinable courses.. that's your top 4.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
SFU isn't your application 4. It's your top 4 provincially examinable. I think UBC does the same, but I'm not sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@VegaKrazmych wrote
SFU isn't your application 4. It's your top 4 provincially examinable. I think UBC does the same, but I'm not sure.

Yeah that's what I said - kind of.
English, Math..
then your next top 2 provincially examinable.
Did I not say that in my previous post? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

When I was at SFU, I asked them that question. I was told it was your top 4, not necessarily the 4 you need for your program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@VegaKrazmych wrote
When I was at SFU, I asked them that question. I was told it was your top 4, not necessarily the 4 you need for your program.

I don't think so..
That wouldn't make any sense.
So you're telling me that I could go into Science with no Science courses at all?
If my top 4 was English, French, History and Geography.. I could get into Applied Sci with that? I'd think not.
Maybe you misinterpreted.
Cuz even on the SFU viewbook thing, there's certain pre-reqs that you have to have in your top 4.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No, you can't get into science without using English 12, Math 12, Science 12, Provincially Examinable 12. I asked about the President's Award, and you don't have to use English 12 if you have a higher, provincially examinable mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RB12 RB12
Sorry if this question is being repeated, but if you are offered the President's Entrance Scholarship of $2500 but your average drops to 92-93% at the end of the school year, do you still get the scholarship???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of electricfeel electricfeel
Does anyone happen to know what the cut-off was for this year's President's Entrance Scholarships? My average last semester was a 92.5% and my second semester midterm average is 95.0%. However, I didn't receive any information about a scholarship in my offer of admission, and according to UBC that's where they would have informed me if I'd qualified for one. Is this unusual or have the President's Entrance scholarships gotten very competitive this year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I heard that you have to have a 95% average in order to quality for the President's scholarship this year =[
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of electricfeel electricfeel
So ridiculous. Just last year my friend with a high 80s average got a $1500 scholarship. UBC is getting crazy! Makes me a little nervous since I accepted my offer this week...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone know how much it is for 95%? I'm currently (barely) above the cutoff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lovemyfamily17 lovemyfamily17
$2500
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Didn't it used to be like $4000?

Damn, UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0