yconic - UBC: Spring Marks Versus Final Marks
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC: Spring Marks Versus Final Marks

A photo of jasonb2 jasonb2
Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for reading and helping! I have a question regarding the application process of the University of British Columbia. If my spring marks doesn't meet the requirements for the faculty of science and my final marks are way above the average; will I still be accepted?

For example, my term 2 marks are 85% and the requirement to be accepted to the faculty of science is 90%. However, my final marks (term 1 + term 2 + term 3) is 95%; which is way above the average. Will I still be accepted on this semester?

Or, if you don't get an acceptance letter during mid-April to May than you're officially rejected. Sorry for the confusion, but I'm basically asking about the acceptance rounds of UBC.

Have a fantastic day!
-Lexi. Jason
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of SuccessIsLife SuccessIsLife
If there's more space then yes you will get accepted. University of British Columbia's program happen to fill up quickly. It's a great institution to reach, don't let that one go.

Good Luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you so much for the support!

Just for clarification, does that mean UBC will still continue to accept students base on their final marks rather than their spring marks? If so, do you know when the "second round" for acceptance is going to occur?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mpietros mpietros
All final admission offers will be based on final marks. However, as SuccessIsLife said, admission offers will still go out now to students based on their interim marks, so the program may fill up by the time your final marks are in (assuming your interim marks aren't enough to get you in).
As for "rounds" of admission, UBC continually send out admission offers on a rolling basis, so it really could come anytime once your marks, either interim or final, are in. You aren't a student in BC though, are you? Admission is a little different for them this year due to the teachers' strike.
Hope this helps! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you so much for the assistance!

Yes, I'm a British Columbia student. However, will that affect my situation (aside from the cancellation of self-report and grade 11 acceptance)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The UBC Admissions Blog probably explains it better than I can, so check out the full article here: http://blog.students.ubc.ca/admissions/2012/03/16/bc-high-school-students-next-steps/
But pretty much, for British Columbia students, there will be 2 rounds of admission evaluations - one in April and one in May. The first will be based on your grade 11 and in-progress grade 12 marks. The next round in May will be a full evaluation using ONLY your in-progress and final grade 12 marks.
In the above admissions process, if an applicant's grade 11 marks (from the first evaluation) are not high enough, they will not be denied admission. You will be re-evaluated during the second round. In the end, it all depends on your grade 12 grades. Grade 11 marks are used in the first round in order to be able to give out as many admission offers as early as possible.

Edit: So the answer is no, to better answer your question. You will still be evaluated in the same way as everyone else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you so much for the generous support! I kind of understand the situation now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You're very welcome! Best of luck in your application! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0