yconic - UBC Undergrad Admission
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Undergrad Admission

A photo of AfricanStudent32 AfricanStudent32
Hi there,

The information you actually see in the website is just superficial, I mean by that the average you saw there is only to be considered but the actual average you need to be considered competitive at Sauder is low to mid 90 s and you still must hope to gain admission, you should also work on your supp application ! Gd Luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of IronMan IronMan
Hi there,

The information you actually see in the website is just superficial, I mean by that the average you saw there is only to be considered but the actual average you need to be considered competitive at Sauder is low to mid 90 s and you still must hope to gain admission, you should also work on your supp application ! Gd Luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johneidude johneidude
Keep several things in mind. First of all, you cant really compare South African school grades to Canadian ones. I am assuming that you study in a private school there, if so, I am sure that it is more rigorous or difficult to do well in then a regular Canadian HS. The non IB/AP courses in Canadian high schools are very very easy, getting a 90%+ on them is very easy.From what I have seen, the average Int'l student at Sauder does better than the average Canadian one (keep in mind the average of those admitted is usually around 93%), and there are quite a few people in first year who had say 95% or what not in HS, but they do badly in Uni. What I am trying to say is that you cant necessarily compare the grades, especially because for local applicants they only look at top 4/6, while for Int'l I believe they look at all of them.

As for the averages, they are just cut offs, I have heard of people getting in who only meet the cut off, while at the same time there are people with like a 99% who have been rejected. If you have a good supplemental (So essay, and extracurricular activities) then you should be fine.

The second thing is, as an Int'l student, given the higher fees, I would say you actually have a better chance of getting in, given that 1 Intl'l student is essentially worth 5 local students (in terms of Revenue).

I am an international student and I applied with an average GPA of like 3.6-3.7 (cant remember for sure, a 3.7 is an A-) over my 4 years in HS, had a predicted IB score of 36, and an SAT of 2000+. Got in 3 weeks after applying. Granted I had a good supplemental (I had essentially reused the ones I had written to the Ivy league schools, simply changing the name of the Uni). If I were you I would just work hard and try to get good grades, and do EC work (try and give back to the community, do things like MUN, do sports, and if you do, you will seem like a well rounded applicant, your chances will greatly improve). Dont worry too much about it, Canadian Uni's are relatively easy to get into (as opposed to US ones).
Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted