yconic - UBC Vancouver Social Scene
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC Vancouver Social Scene

A photo of Zzaach Zzaach
Hi all,

I'm going to be spending 2011/2012 at UBC as an exchange student. I was wondering if any current UBC students had any information on:

- Which residence to choose if interested in regular parties (or any other information on residences - I'll be 20 years old upon arrival)

- The frequency of parties and where they are held

- The ski trip opportunities

- The clubbing/bar opportunities in central Vancouver and access from the campus...

- Concerts (which type, when, what price, how etc...)

- Any D'n'B in BC? in UBC?

- Any other information pertaining to having fun.

- Any advice an exchange student should know about the social scene.

etc.

Thank you very much!
Zach.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Hmmm, I don't go to UBC myself but I do live in Vancouver, so I know a great deal about the city.

As for residence, if you're a first year student, I would suggest either Vanier/Totem.. but if you're 2nd year and beyond, I'm not too sure.

But do keep in mind that UBC is only MINUTES away from downtown Vancouver, and because you will be 20 when you arrive, you could go to the bars/clubbing easily, don't even need to stay on campus for parties. Most parties on campus are usually held at frat houses from what I've heard.. pretty sick parties though.

100% UBC has a ski and snowboard club, so they probably have trips up to the slopes every weekend during the ski/snowboard season. It's not very pricey either since you are a student and you're going in a big group, major group/student discounts!

Concerts.. there are TONS of concerts around.. if you're talking about like.. BIG concerts with world known celebrities and such.. we have Rogers Arena.. or formerly known as GM Place.. they hold concerts there at least once a month, but tickets can get pricey, ranging from 50 to a couple hundred. Could always watch a Canucks game at Rogers Arena too. :cheers:
As for more down key local kind of concerts, they have them like.. every weekend at local pubs.. bars.. even on campus bars.

Come to Vancouver, you'll love it here.
:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
^ +1. Except that Vanier and Totem are the only options for students under 19 (which is the majority of first-years) and Totem is known more for partying. Also, UBC is about a half hour from downtown Vancouver.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of purpledog purpledog
You could always stay in Gage Towers if you want to live communally but also have some freedom. I know a guy who's doing an exchange and is at Gage and currently has 4 other roommates, and says that they like to hold parties quite a bit. And ya, UBC is like half an hour away from downtown Vancouver, but there are quite a few bars in the Point Grey/Kits area.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You could also try looking for a place to rent off the school campus..
Definitely not downtown, that would be VERY expensive..
but maybe in the Point Grey/Kits area.. closest to UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zzaach Zzaach

@cyynthiia wrote
But do keep in mind that UBC is only MINUTES away from downtown Vancouver, and because you will be 20 when you arrive, you could go to the bars/clubbing easily, don't even need to stay on campus for parties. Most parties on campus are usually held at frat houses from what I've heard.. pretty sick parties though.

Which clubs/bars would you recommend?
About the frat parties, can any random person drop by?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zzaach wrote

I'm not legal yet but off the top of my head.. the ones I hear about most often..
Gossip, Boss, Caprice..
They're all on or around Granville Street.. Go downtown one night and there's NO way you'll miss them!

As for frat parties, I think as long as you're invited, you can go..
I have a friend who doesn't even go to UBC and she's been to numerous frat parties.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
UBC's social scene sucks. The school is notorious for being a bit antisocial and isolated. I mean, even my friend at McGill (who is from Connecticut, by the way) knows about this.

Given that it's a commuter school with a predominantly Asian student body, academics are the first and foremost priority for many.

Totem is more party-oriented, so I suggest you stay there. Lots of American kids who like to party reside in that rez. If you don't know anyone at UBC, don't get an apartment off-campus. It will be hell trying to meet people and make friends.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin

@cyynthiia wrote

@Zzaach wrote

I'm not legal yet but off the top of my head.. the ones I hear about most often..
Gossip, Boss, Caprice..
They're all on or around Granville Street.. Go downtown one night and there's NO way you'll miss them!

I have a friend who doesn't even go to UBC and she's been to numerous frat parties.

Gossip and Boss night club are where all the LGs are at (underaged minors....eg. 15-18), if that is your thing...

Definitely go snowboarding/skiing before the season is over in April.

What university are you coming from if you don't mind me asking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@prmly wrote
UBC's social scene sucks. The school is notorious for being a bit antisocial and isolated. I mean, even my friend at McGill (who is from Connecticut, by the way) knows about this.

Given that it's a commuter school with a predominantly Asian student body, academics are the first and foremost priority for many.

Totem is more party-oriented, so I suggest you stay there. Lots of American kids who like to party reside in that rez. If you don't know anyone at UBC, don't get an apartment off-campus. It will be hell trying to meet people and make friends.

Yet you're still applying to UBC?
LOL
Dangg.

@jenyouwin wrote
Gossip and Boss night club are where all the LGs are at (underaged minors....eg. 15-18), if that is your thing...

Definitely heard about that too, haha.
But you know.. lots of LG hunters out there these days....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Keyons Keyons
I'm going to UBC in 2011/12 too! I applied to Vanier Place for residence. Is anyone else going there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zzaach Zzaach

@jenyouwin wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

@Zzaach wrote

Gossip, Boss, Caprice..

I'm coming from France, more precisely from Sciences Po, in Paris.

I gather Totem would be the most party-oriented residence. Has anyone heard about how much goes on in Gage?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zzaach wrote
I'm coming from France, more precisely from Sciences Po, in Paris.

I gather Totem would be the most party-oriented residence. Has anyone heard about how much goes on in Gage?

OOOOOOOOOO:
Tu as de la chance!!
Assuming you actually speak French, but you must since you're coming from France.
I would love to study in Paris.
Vancouver life is nothing compared to life in Paris!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Alliyah2090 Alliyah2090

@jenyouwin wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

@Zzaach wrote

Gossip, Boss, Caprice..

LOL cynthiaa you named the popular Asian clubs.
Caprice is nice, but i would recommend bars on gas-town like lamplighter and Roxy (more rock, 80's music with live bands) and Barcelona is really nice too! and venue
I don't live in Vancouver i just visit there a lot. Downtown Vancouver is beautiful and there is so much to see and do over there!
As for meeting people, just be very open and friendly and you'll be fine.
recalling my first year of uni, i met most people during orientation, lab partners, frat parties and there is always some pub crawl or bar fundraiser going on. so just hit it up and fun times will be had :)
plus if ur living in residence get to know your floormates!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Alliyah2090 Alliyah2090
I also applied to UBC for nursing and applied to Walter-Gage rez. Soooo if i do get in *fingers crossed* its a very competitive program.

I applied to Gage since I am 20 too, and will be attending an accelerated intense nursing program. The other residences totem and other will be filled with first year students who will go buck wild. (I would have had the same mindset if i was 18 and first year, but since I am not and kinda over the shower party scenes they have at residences haha) SO yea I'm looking for a more mature environment and I'm pretty sure Gage will be bumpin as well. I hope anyways. otherwise I'm just gonna be hitting up downtown Vancouver for adventures
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of litchii litchii
The frequency of parties and where they are held
OH WOW, UBC has so dam many parties, even on thursday i see people carrying boxes of booze across campus. Liquor store is located at the village. Easy access, right across from the new Freshslice.

Frat houses are located on westbrook mall, next to the RCMP :P
they go crazyyyyyyy.

The ski trip opportunities
big! during snow season i see people with their gears on 99 24/7.

The clubbing/bar opportunities in central Vancouver and access from the campus...
downtown, thats where the life is, not even 20 minutes from campus.

Concerts (which type, when, what price, how etc...)
quite a lot in vancouver, from lady gaga to jay chou, never attended any :S

i usually go to the musical ones at Chan center......

- Any D'n'B in BC? in UBC?
?huh?

- Any advice an exchange student should know about the social scene.

people are really nice here!
and yesterday was the 2nd annual undie run!
check out the video as half nekkid students flooded Irvings library
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of youstoppedmakingsense youstoppedmakingsense
Regarding concerts in Vancouver:
What kind of music do you listen to? The music scene here is pretty nice IMO. Most bands who go to Toronto and Montreal would also drop by Vancouver for a gig or two. Most indie bands perform in bars and cabarets in the evening though, so yes, you would need an ID to get in for most gigs (this is coming from a 17-year-old music enthusiast who has spent too many nights crying over bands she didn't get to see for being underage). There are usually performances in downtown on weeknights as well. In short: it's pretty awesome if you're over 19.
Was this helpful? Yes 0