yconic - UBC vs. Queen's
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC vs. Queen's

A photo of mikesong mikesong
I live in Vancouver and the first university I got accepted to was Queen's university science honors program.
Then, right after I accepted my offer, I got an offer from UBC science. I'm not sure if I made the right choice.
I always wanted to go to school in the east but all my friends are trying to convince me to go to UBC.
And even though UBC is cheaper, I received 2000 dollar entrance scholarship for Queen's which I don't think is that much but I didn't receive any scholarship for UBC. I'm not sure if going to Queen's is the right choice.

So Any suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
35 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
I'm going to Queen's from Vancouver too.

What are some of the things you want in a university? We can't tell you what you're looking for. And neither can your friends, for that matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meister Meister
I'm also moving to Queen's from Vancouver. Ironically enough, I'm majoring in software engineering.

We're in the same boat OP, I was accepted into UBC sciences and Queen's. To aid your decision, I've chosen Queen's due to the prestige and networking possibilities.

I feel that UBC will have plenty of shut-in asians therefore limiting my possibilities of networking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sweet99 Sweet99
Wow, I have the same question. I just got into UBC science after getting into Queen's Science (hons). I am also from Vancity, im really leaning towards queen's because of the college town and great reputation. Also, UBC has a lot of hardcore asians, I would rather get some life experience and go to kingston...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well when considering prestige, I think UBC and Queen's is pretty much the same. But which university would have better environment for getting good grades? Most of us aim to go beyond undergraduate studies and in order to make it, we need good grades. So, when considering about getting good grades, which school is better?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
They're both difficult. But UBC's like twice the size of Queen's, and therefore it's more competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flyingpig flyingpig

@Zion wrote
They're both difficult. But UBC's like twice the size of Queen's, and therefore it's more competitive.

Disagree, it depends on what your major is. Most students are in science so yeah lol

Most of the students there don't really have a soul.

They pay money to get in and expect good grades. They participate minimum and just wants the degree to get a good job and leave.

This is the attitude of a normal UBC student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@flyingpig wrote

@Zion wrote

Disagree, it depends on what your major is. Most students are in science so yeah lol

They pay money to get in and expect good grades. They participate minimum and just wants the degree to get a good job and leave.

Your wrong, the people at UBC are very competitive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sweet99 wrote

@flyingpig wrote

@Zion wrote

Exactly, they only care about grades and getting a job. Ruining it for everyone else sigh you are one of them huh?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mutuba mutuba

@flyingpig wrote

@Sweet99 wrote

@flyingpig wrote

@Zion wrote

Exactly, they only care about grades and getting a job. Ruining it for everyone else sigh you are one of them huh?

Don't be mad just because you can't keep up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yo this is getting competitive already lol. Btw which school would be better for research programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@flyingpig wrote

@Sweet99 wrote

@flyingpig wrote

@Zion wrote

You disagreed with me, then agreed that they're competitive, which was my point that you disagreed with in the first place.

How is wanting good marks "ruining it for everyone else"? Go to community college if that's your attitude.

You just generalized 40 000 students as being soulless. Please ignore his advice, OP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@flyingpig wrote

@Zion wrote

How would you know?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok this is getting really stupid. Can u guys just answer my questions instead of calling UBC students soulless or calling each other idiots?
So... First questions:at Queen's wats the difference between regular and honors science program?
Second question: which school has better research programs and intern/co op?
Last question: how do u make sure u get a dorm second year at Queen's?

Plz help me figure this out for this naive student without calling each other idiots!
I would appreciate it very much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey, I got accepted for Bsc (hon) as well, does anybody know the difference for the (hon) and general science at Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Hey, I got accepted for Bsc (hon) as well, does anybody know the difference for the (hon) and general science at Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@mikesong wrote
Ok this is getting really stupid. Can u guys just answer my questions instead of calling UBC students soulless or calling each other idiots?
So... First questions:at Queen's wats the difference between regular and honors science program?

Plz help me figure this out for this naive student without calling each other idiots!

In regular programs, you are doing what every freshman across Canada is doing in a typical 1st year science.

In honors, I am guessing you do a little bit beyond. For instance, many Canadian schools' 1st yr calculus do not cover the Taylor series, in honors you will.

For you last question, you have to ask the housing at Queen's, there is such thing as 100% housing though

To the trolls who are flaming. Just look at the averages for last year's admission, they don't even care about any other difficult courses you have taken.

In other words, a regular kid's A is worth as much as an IB kid's A

Thanks to the omission of the provincial, every kid's grades are getting inflated by their teachers. That's the attitude of UBC students, grades, grades, grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@flyingpig wrote
To the trolls who are flaming. Just look at the averages for last year's admission, they don't even care about any other difficult courses you have taken.

Thanks to the omission of the provincial, every kid's grades are getting inflated by their teachers. That's the attitude of UBC students, grades, grades, grades.

That's true of any Canadian school. An A is an A. You're blaming a decision of the provincial government (to make provincials optional) on UBC students now? Their entrance average is almost 90 now, which rivals McGill's. You're obviously just bitter because you got rejected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@flyingpig wrote

@mikesong wrote

In regular programs, you are doing what every freshman across Canada is doing in a typical 1st year science.

In honors, I am guessing you do a little bit beyond. For instance, many Canadian schools' 1st yr calculus do not cover the Taylor series, in honors you will.

For you last question, you have to ask the housing at Queen's, there is such thing as 100% housing though

Almost every university in Canada are ommitting provincial exams.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't think you guys even read my post so I am not sure if I should take you guys seriously anymore.

I never said the Provincial was the only problem, the fact that your suppl almost don't even matter in UBC is a problem. It's a student with 90 average with tons of other outside activities not getting in as opposed to a 92 average student with absolutely no other skills. UBC doesn't want a diverse group of students
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@flyingpig wrote
I don't think you guys even read my post so I am not sure if I should take you guys seriously anymore.

I never said the Provincial was the only problem, the fact that your suppl almost don't even matter in UBC is a problem. It's a student with 90 average with tons of other outside activities not getting in as opposed to a 92 average student with absolutely no other skills. UBC doesn't want a diverse group of students

Supplemental applications do matter. I know people who got rejected from UBC with mid-90 averages; obviously there are other factors at play.

You must be an American or something though. No Canadian school puts any significant weight on extracurriculars. UBC isn't discriminating.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@flyingpig wrote

Supplemental applications do matter. I know people who got rejected from UBC with mid-90 averages; obviously there are other factors at play.

You must be an American or something though. No Canadian school puts any significant weight on extracurriculars. UBC isn't discriminating.

In small state universities, that could be true. In large-states, it isn't too far off from other "big name" Canadian universities.

I am talking about those with mid 90 averages with lots of extra curriculars getting rejected.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@flyingpig wrote

@Zion wrote

In small state universities, that could be true. In large-states, it isn't too far off from other "big name" Canadian universities.

I am talking about those with mid 90 averages with lots of extra curriculars getting rejected.

But they got rejected because of their supplemental, which goes against what you said about UBC not wanting diversity. Even someone with a mid-90s average can be rejected if they don't have the extracurriculars, essays, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0