yconic - UBC VS UT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

UBC VS UT

A photo of Pigglehumsy Pigglehumsy
Hey, I've just recently found out of this site and it's been a great help so far.
Anyway, I got offers for UBC Science and UT Architectural Studies (really leaning towards a career in architecture).
I've done extensive research on the two institutions but am still pretty torn. I was wondering if any of you could weigh out the pros and cons.
Thanks again!:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Serllen Serllen
Um... Generally both of them are about the same I think. U of T probably has a higher reputation than UBC but that doesn't mean UBC is worse than U of T. I think that both schools are specialized in different areas. For example, UBC has a strong grad school for Medical and their Medical faculty (grad school) is really good from what I have heard; likewise, U of T also has a good grad school in Applied Science (Engineering) and they also have a really good undergrad program for Engineering (EngSci). This is just for academic side.

I guess I really comes down to what you preference in which school you like better in order to choose.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I agree with the above poster. It really depends on your personal preference and what you want to do in terms of your education. Science and Architecture are two completely different fields of study.

Personally, I was also accepted in to both universities, Science at UBC and Life Sci at U of T. Reputation wise, like Serllen said, UT does a little better. Us at UBC are just one rank lower than UT. UBC also has an Architecture program, if you've ever considered it, but it's not an undergraduate program.

If you wanted a career in architecture, Waterloo would have been your best bet (if you applied). I have a friend at Waterloo doing Architecture and it's apparently very reputable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pigglehumsy Pigglehumsy

@cyynthiia wrote
I agree with the above poster. It really depends on your personal preference and what you want to do in terms of your education. Science and Architecture are two completely different fields of study.

Personally, I was also accepted in to both universities, Science at UBC and Life Sci at U of T. Reputation wise, like Serllen said, UT does a little better. Us at UBC are just one rank lower than UT. UBC also has an Architecture program, if you've ever considered it, but it's not an undergraduate program.

If you wanted a career in architecture, Waterloo would have been your best bet (if you applied). I have a friend at Waterloo doing Architecture and it's apparently very reputable.

Hey, thanks for your response!
There's actually a variation of architecture that is available as an undergraduate program. Have you ever heard of the ENDS program or Environmental Design at UBC? It's really competitive (so I've heard), only accepting 25/100-200 people per year.

Wow, that's interesting:) Can I ask what factors you took into account in your weighing of the pros and cons of both schools? What made you pick UBC?

I had a serious talk with my parents about Waterloo architecture! After doing an extensive amount of research, I came across this forum that explained how waterloo architecture was going down the drain as Ryerson architecture was skyrocketing. Since my parents didn't like the general atmosphere of Ryerson, we decided that UT wouldn't be a bad choice, seeing as its quite respected internationally. Should have I applied to waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I think the biggest factor for me was cost. At UBC, I'm a domestic student and only live 40 minutes away, so I don't have to live on residence. At UT, I would have to live on res. I'd really like to minimize the amount of student loans I have to pay, so staying here for UBC is the better choice for me. For medical reasons as well, it's a lot easier for me here in Vancouver.

I'm not big into the whole medical school thing, so reputation-wise, it doesn't matter to me. At the end of the day, they're still 2 of the top schools in the world.

I've heard of Environmental Design. Heard of it before but have never learnt anything about it!

As for applying to Waterloo, I guess it's really a personal choice. If you didn't like the atmosphere just from a first impression, you're probably going to hold that view going in and won't enjoy your time as much. No use regretting now, applications are long over!
Was this helpful? Yes 0